" "

My story - looking for advice

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: My story - looking for advice

Postby Oregon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:22 pm

Just a quick update, Gamble free again for 11 days now. Doing really well since I told my girlfriend and she is handling my access to funds. Plus she knows now that "doing overtime" or "stuck in traffic" really means I was in the pokies. No more lies.

Going to my first GA meeting tonight.
Wish me luck.
Gamble free since 22.01.18
Oregon

Postby Mona58 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:02 pm

Well done Oregon. Hope the meeting goes well. Stay Strong
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby User 586eee5282d07 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:17 pm

Hope you liked the ga meeting oregon. I find them awesome; love sharing face to face and knowing i am not alone in this battle.

Have a great weekend.

Sandra
User 586eee5282d07

Postby Oregon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:24 am

GA meeting was great. I'm doing another tonight. It's a really supportive environment to share anything and everything.
Left the card at home today, forgot to withdraw a few dollars over the weekend so I only have toast from the work kitchen to eat until 2pm. Oh well. Better than having access to money I can't afford to spend.

All in all it's going well for this latest attempt to quit.

- Oregon 14 days GF
Oregon

Postby Mona58 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Well done Oregon! Keep strong.
Mona58

Postby Oregon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:05 am

Thanks Mona,

18 days today. I think between 2 weeks and 2 months is the hardest part.
I haven't carried any money or cards on me all week to work. Doing the 6-2 shift. Toast for breakfast and lunch when I get home at 2:30pm.
Feels good to drive past the venues and know I won't be playing the pokies.
Oregon

Postby Oregon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:11 am

Quick update
24 days Gamble free

Got paid again today, monthly pays are the worst! Had to leave the cards at home... I filled up the car yesterday, the prices had gone up but I found a servo where it was still low, saved 30c/L, felt better than a win on the pokies!
I've also started going for walks, sometimes with my son in the stroller and sometimes just me. Yesterday was 40c+ but I still went for my walk. Felt good to work up a sweat and get some fresh air. I want to renew my gym membership - it was the first thing to go when money got tight from gambling. Healthy body and healthy mind will help me beat my addiction.

Has anyone who has signed up for the daily SMS not been receiving theirs? I haven't got mine for about a week, it used to come in at 10am every morning.

-Oregon
Oregon

Postby Mona58 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:53 am

Well done Oregon! Slay fighting!

I've had to sign up for the SMS support twice. My second sign up seems to have stopped now, I still have them in my phone. Even though they do repeat I still like to get them daily ... so will sign up again.
Mona58

Postby Oregon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:25 pm

SMS messages are back! And I think they are new ones too.

Day 28- If I add my last attempt that's 82 days with only 1 relapse. That's 81 of my last 82 days gamble free. Not a bad attempt... But I have to be truthful, it's only been 28 days.

I've been taking my son for walks, usually in the evening although it's still too hot, I come back in a sweat. But I feel good afterwards. My son, he just sits in the pram but I think he is happy to be out and about, and to have his dad's company.

I've bought an old toy box from the Salvation Army for just $10, I'm going to restore it because it's in bad shape.

Why am I telling you these things, well I think that having projects and routines is a huge part of staying Gamble Free for me. Something to occupy my mind or body and by keeping a routine it keeps me out of the pokie rooms.

Another example. A good friend of mine has visited Japan on several occasions and he always brings me back some instant miso. Well these instant miso soups have been piling up in the pantry for years. So every day at 4:15 (unless I'm on arvo shift) I sit and watch Pointless on TV and have a miso soup. Keeping little routines like this has been key for me.
Oregon

Postby Oregon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 pm

Not a single post on the forums today. Hope everyone is staying gamble free!

I'm on night shift for the week.
Oregon

Previous

Return to The Courtyard