" "

My story

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: My story

Postby Pikey94 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 pm

Alright here we go, just self excluded myself from my newly opened betting account. Last time I managed 7 days GF. I'm so sick of this lifestyle and I imagine that everyone here is as well. We can all do it! Next month or so will be hard especially with all the Christmas gifts I have to buy, but hopefully i'll start working after that and pay off all my debts. Feels like I keep repeating myself but I'm hoping this is the last time.
Pikey94

Postby Mona58 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Well done Pikey.
Stay strong and read read read posts and everything you can to remind you of the pitfalls of gambling!
Wishing you well henceforth!
Mona
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Pikey94 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:05 pm

I won't count this as the official day 1 because I placed bets yesterday on events that occurred today. But I haven't placed any new bets today. Mood swings are becoming a frequent occurrence and I have been crying on three separate occasions today. But this is the most optimistic I have been about quitting gambling for good, but still feeling overwhelmed by my debt. Still tossing up whether or not to go to a GA meeting today. Quite nervous as I don't know what to expect.

I read quite a lot of posts on Reddit today about problem gambling. One said the shelf life of the protein in our brain that triggers gambling is about 8 weeks. So the first 3-4 weeks are critical in quitting the addiction. I guess that's the first challenge that I have to pass. Of course, as addicts, we can never completely get rid of the addiction, its just about how well we manage it.
Pikey94

Postby Jeddie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi Pikey, go to the meeting. You don’t have to talk to anyone. You probably won’t even have to give your name. You can sit at the back and just listen if you want. Be very brave and take the first step. Good luck, you can do it. Let us know how you go🙂
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Mona58 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi Pikey

We never said it was going to be easy. Emotions are all normal given the situation. The debts will be paid do not dwell on them. Look to a better future. Be brave go to the meeting as Jeddie suggests. Don't hold back... you never know what you will find there until you go.

You can do it! Be strong!

Mona
Mona58

Postby Sethlee » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Hey everyone pretty new to this lately I've been really pokie mad every time I have money I need to go and throw it in a machine I've thght about the self excluding myself from these places is quite hard feel weak I've got three children that rely on me and all I can do is think about where I'm gonna get the next loan from
Sethlee

Postby Jeddie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Sethlee people who are much better qualified than me will pop up and help you over the next few days. Hang in there you are now with friends. Ring the gambling helpline as well if you feel in urgent need.
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Pikey94 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks guys for pushing me to go to that meeting. Drove there and sat in the car for about half an hour contemplating whether I should go in. I eventually did and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. It felt a bit daunting at first because I was probably a good 6-7 years younger than the next youngest person but everyone welcomed me with open arms. Will definitely be going back next week. I honestly believe its the best type of therapy because everyone there has had the same experiences as you. Highly recommend anyone reading this to go.
Pikey94

Postby Mona58 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:16 am

Yay! So pleased Pikey! l feel to give you hugest of hugs!

PLEASE listen to your instincts .... listen to the GOOD thoughts that spring in your mind ... they come from somewhere!

Pikey there's another young person from uni posted in diary of recovery. It hard to know how to advice as l feel online gambling is much much harder to overcome. I cannot imagine having gambling right here at my fingertips every day all day!

Mona in day 38 GF
Mona58

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi Sethlee,

It sounds like gambling has gotten its claws into you. Finding more loans is probably not a good solution.

If it was me i would think about how gambling will impact on your children's future.

What will their futures look like if you continue to seek out loans?
What will their futures look like if you gain control of your gambling quickly?

The path to overcoming gambling is to seek out all the help you can find; Self exclusion, Counselling, G.A., etc...
Feeling sorry for yourself or beating yourself up for spending money is not helpful. Be kind to yourself.

Gambling is a really tricky addiction to beat. The mental programming that the gambling machines and venues do can be impossible to break without professional help. It takes time and relapses are to be expected. Gambling can be beaten. But only if you get the help.

If you could quit without help you would have done so by now.

So call the Helpline, sign up for self exclusion, attend a meeting, and look forward to a happy future.

Your kids will thank you.
Jerry (facilitator)

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard