" "

My story

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

My story

Postby Pikey94 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting here so I just wanted to share my story.

Ive been gambling for probably 5-6 months now on online websites. At first it was just with small amounts but I started getting bored and started betting with bigger amounts. When I lost, I would bet again to try to get those losses back. This worked for a while but when it didnt work, I lost all my savings. I had a holiday coming up in america about 2-3 months from this point so I told myself that if I make 'x dollars' per day, I would have enough spending money for the trip. Over those next few months I kept losing and losing money. I took out a credit card which I have now maxed out and also took out some centrelink payments. Just before the trip to America, I was out of money so I asked my dad for a $2k loan which I used for the trip. During the trip I kept gambling and was actually $3.3k up at one point. I got greedy and eventually lost all that and now have nothing left.

I have realised that gambling is not the way to pay off my debts and I am going to try to stop gambling from now on. I am also thinking of telling my parents about my situation but I'm not sure how to do it. I am crying right now at the thought of their reaction. Any advice?
Pikey94

Re: My story

Postby Mona58 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:28 pm

welcome Pikey.
I am new to the site too and have not yet wrote up my story but spent much of the day reading many inspirational posts. It is payday tomorrow and I was terrified of it yesterday ... today I am still scared but feel a bit stronger after a really really good cry this morning and reading the posts and doing the badges.
Good luck and be strong,
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby GGme » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 pm

Hey Pikey,

Well done on making it here.

I was in a similar situation to you, except with my girlfriend, and I wish I came clean to her months before I did, because I continued to gamble and thinks became very bad.

Telling your parents will provide you with a good support network and you might just be suprised with their reaction.

All the best on the journey!! 1 month gambling free here
GGme

Postby puntmas » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:58 am

Pikey

From the sounds of this your new to betting.

Imagine going through this torment for 30 years.

STOP now while you can.
puntmas

Postby Pikey94 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:45 am

Thanks for the support everyone. I plan to stop now and have made a plan so I can pay off my debts. It may take a while, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Pikey94

Postby Pikey94 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:48 am

Just wanted to share and update.

Picked up an 8 hour shift today and I've never been so excited to work in my life! As soon as the money comes in i'll be using it to pay off part of my credit card debt. Stay strong everyone!
Pikey94

Postby Mona58 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:05 am

that's wonderful Pikey!

stay Strong!
Mona58

Postby 4Eva4Me4MyKids » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:53 am

G'day,
I've just gambled another cool $800 on those F'd up pokies. I've worked thru the familiar anger and disbelief that "I did it again". I know I can't even walk in there without a blowout. Yet I do. It feels as if it will never go away. Truth is it won't whilst ever I even think about gambling.
I've been gambling and addicted to mainly pokies for over half my life. The last 18 months it has resurged with atomic force. I've separated from my wife and no longer live in my family home. That still hasn't been strong enough reason to change. I've cut back but like today when I do gamble it's a big blowout. It could have been more, sure, but I'm not able to see that as a consolation as yet.
I'm trying this forum and the online program just cos I'm ready and Have to do something different. I've found someone who truly accepts and loves me for who I am. She knows about my problem but no one is impervious to this problem and it's effects whether they gamble or not. I have four beautiful children who adore me and with whom I've let down and they have no idea.
I look forward to being a community member and sharing with you all and learning about stories, which are unique and your own but in some way will be all too familiar. In that I know I'm not alone and am willing and committed today to connect to others in the name of ridding from my life this toxic behaviour.
Thanks for reading.
Peace
4Eva4Me4MyKids

Postby Mona58 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Hello and welcome.

it won't be easy but you CAN do it!

Mona on day 5 GF exhausted but pleased!
Mona58

Postby Pikey94 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi guys,

In my last post, I said that I would stop gambling and start paying off my debts but as I'm sure most of you have experienced, that is just a lie we tell ourselves. Another week of my pay is gone and I don't know what to do with myself. All I can do is keep trying but its a long road ahead.
Pikey94

Next

Return to The Courtyard