" "

Sports addiction

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Sports addiction

Postby Sebastianlove » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:43 pm

Gambling addiction

I admit I have a gambling. At first I keep telling myself my partner and friends that I don't and it was "investing". I have been doing this for 3 years straight and got bad the last year and a bit. I love sports and that's the main thing I bet on especially American sports. Nba Mlb nhl nfl nrl afl you name I have bet on it even snooker and darts. My routine is $50 on a game normally odds of $1.80 or more it normally loses so what I'll do is deposit another $50 and the same thing it loses so I'm down $100 and this is on pay day. Now I'm chasing the $100 I've lost and the worst thing is I'm doing this all at work. So I'm down $100 so I deposit another $100 hoping to break even but it loses of course now I'm down $200 and I haven't even left work to pay my bills, shopping,petrol etc. Next day I'll do the same I'll average $50 a day on a sports game. I'll do this until my pay is gone but luckily I have direct debits other wise I'll blow my whole check. My other problem is when I win I don't know when to do, there other day I was up $1200 and lost it in one day then i won $700 and lost that in one day and this is all the time, there are times that I do withdraw but it goes straight back in. What is stopping me is I have 2 young boys and my first boy has a birthday coming up and I can't afford to give him a birthday party. My bills are all behind my mortgage is due I have tried to get a loan to help cover these bills but none will take me on because of my situation! I even got decline from Cash converters now that's embarrassing . I have recently called the gambling helpline and enough is enough I must stop!
Sebastianlove

Re: Sports addiction

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:06 am

Congratulations Sebastianlove. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to change.

It sounds like your gambling was not only impacting your own life, but starting to impact on your family. Putting the effort in to conquer your gambling habit will make their lives better. you can make sure that your son has a huge birthday party next year.

Gambling habits take a while to form so they take a while to break. It can be helpful to get some support during this time. The forum is good, counselling is better, some people also find Gamblers Anonymous or the SMART recovery program useful. All of these support services can help you to learn new strategies to help you to overcome your gambling.

Have a read through the forums and see what sorts of things have helped others. Try everything and keep what works for you.

Welcome to the forum.
Jerry (facilitator)

Return to The Courtyard