" "

My 28 year pokies affair

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: My 28 year pokies affair

Postby jimi68 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:26 am

sounds like your doing really well.
I am too.....
and I tell you"' IT FEELS GOOD NOT TO GAMBLE.''
keep it up.
jimi68

Postby Charlotte (facilitator) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi Witsend,

well done for getting back on track - it's such a good feeling to be able to be generous and giving with your money, and it sounds like you enjoyed it. having a lapse is unfortunately all too often a part of the process - two steps forward and one step back and all that. But if we can learn from our mistakes, then the lapse can make us stronger which it seems to have done for you so far. Keep it up and remember to stop and reflect each day why you have stopped and how your life has changed since you stopped - this can be a strong motivator.

All the best,
Charlotte :)
Charlotte (facilitator)

Postby Wits end » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Urges hitting hard and strong last couple days. I am moody and irritable. I am depressed and feel like I feel after I have been gambling when I haven't been. Withdrawals ?????? Worried I'm going to gamble relapse, working hard not too. I find it really hard to tell my husband when I am feeling like going to play, I feel it makes me look really weak. I have this false impression that I can handle it on my own when I know I I really can't.
Wits end

Postby debsta70 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Stay strong,
Ive had the urges really bad as well this week, bad mood with everyone around me, irritable,and sick in the stomach etc. It feels like my body is craving something like a drug, so bizarre, but when i get past it by doing something else i enjoy
it makes me feel better and stronger.
I am only new to this site, 17 days gamble free with over 25 year pokie addiction... This forum keeps me going, reading stories and trying to inspire others as well while fighting my own battles.
Keep at it
ONE DAY AT A TIME XO
debsta70

Postby Joy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:10 pm

Keep at it girls. If it was easy we wouldn't need this forum. I get a boost every night when I check in on the posts and know that I'm not really as alone with the demons as I think I am. During the day I feel the struggle but when I come online I am proud to have gone another day.

Keep on posting and supporting each other. We'll be allright in the end. I'm convinced of it :) .... Joy - 14 days gambling free :) ..... (would have been 2 months but had ONE STUPID NIGHT relapse :(

Good luck girls
Joy

Postby Wits end » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Made it through last night. Urges were soooo bad. At 7.30 last night I had got dressed up and was ready to go out, I made myself lay down on my bed fully dressed hoping that I would fall asleep and thank goodness I did. Woke up this morning so relieved that I didn't go out and still have money in the bank as we have a family night planned tonight. If I had gone gambling last night I would have $0 in the bank and in too bad a mood to go anywhere. Thanks to everyone who posts here, I had the strength to think about what I was doing, before I joined this forum I would not of second guessed going out last night.
Wits end

Postby pamela » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:38 pm

Well done on fighting that urge..you did good.they can be overcome if you think about it first .now you can enkoy yourself tonight
pamela

Postby Pea pod » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Well done Wits End. I am on my 20 th day GF. How good does the weekend feel when you don't have that ugly feeling of gambling hanging over your head. Im going out with some friends later and could quiet easily sneak into a venue on my way out like I normally would but I choose not to gamble today. Life is better without the machines. Good on you and have a good weekend.
Pea pod

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:53 pm

Well done Wits end & Pea pod.

you both chose not to gamble and now the gambling urge is a little weaker.

What did you do to overcome the urge?
What can you do next time to distract yourself from urges?
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby jimi68 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:55 pm

good one wits end.
I found it very important to delay my response by stopping and staying still....when I had the urge.....
I trained myself to do this even if I was shopping in the supermarket if I felt the urge I would stop and stand completely still
some times for a minute....
Might seem strange to others but I would practice at home as well with other things like when I wanted to have a glass of water
I would say in my mind. stop...delay and then I would get it later when I was no longer urging for it..
This helped me to be mindfull of my thoughts and feelings and see that I could safely not respond with control.
I even fasted from food a few times to practice this selfcontrol.
delay gratification.
practice takin control.
You decide what you do....not the urge....
jimi68

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard