" "

Tired and fed up

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: Tired and fed up

Postby Pea pod » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:32 am

Hi Jonno. Sorry your feeling so down. I know how your feeling and it's not a good place to be. Maybe you should look into self exclusion form your local venues and make access to cash more difficult. Have you thought of seeing a gambling counsellor aswell. From my experience I could only really begin to work on my addiction when I put those things in place. Just saying " I will cut back' is very very difficult for a compulsive gambler. Continue to think about what your gambling with, "your family" and make changes so you can work on your self and get to some answers to why you gamble. Good luck
Pea pod

Postby Giveupforgood » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:17 pm

Thanks for your messages. I know the right thing at this point is to give it away for good. I made a promise to myself if i got carried away again that i would give up. I would love to have one more chance at doing the right thing but hell this has been a problem for the best part of 20 years. Im not confident and i dont think i can do it which i know is the wrong mindset however i have to be hinest with myself. The best thing about the last 6 months is that i have not given up or turned a blind eye to the problem. I would say im guna give up then 2 weeks later be full steam ahead again with not a care in the world. The last 6 months has been a better 6 months that before that so all i can do is continue to try and make the next 6 months even better again.
Giveupforgood

Postby pamela » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:21 am

Jonno it canbe done.I played the pokies for 18years. And havent touched a machine for 2 years now..you have to be really determined to stop and it takes awhile but it is doable..dont think "I can't..think I can"..once you change how you think it is much easier
pamela

Postby Giveupforgood » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:56 pm

So back here again......and in the same spot as my first post. Bills piling up and out of control gambling again. Im very upset, frustrated and just dont know what to do. I have tried time and time again and cannot give it up. I havent plyed the pokies in months however springtime or and carnival with the races gets me back in every single time. Im cranky at my kids again all the time.....theyre only young and have no idea whats going on. I know i need to change and quit cold turkey but i just dont know howm as ive said i have tried many times and go a month or so easily but everytime it gets me back in. I just want to get off this merry go round but i cant i dont even want to 90% of the time and thats what makes it so damn hard. Im back at my low point when i first posted in here months ago.....i just want it to stop
Giveupforgood

Postby Mona58 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi Jonno '

I just read your tread from your first post ... it is a real struggle. I don't really know what to say expect I hope you get to be gamble free for tne rest of your life from this point on. Onwards and upwards as the saying goes.

Well....Maybe reading through your posts and the advice people have given you with fresh determinism can help you get stronger. Perhaps when temptation or urges hit stop and read posts. I am now on 18 days GF and I have saved some of the information from this site to read over and each time I learn sometHing new. l also receive a daily inspirational TXT from Gamb help , you could subscribe too. And read it each day over and over to change your thinking and focus to NOT gambling,... I reckon you can do it But from your posts you seem to take risks and perhaps it Is this You need to change ...

Mona in day 18
Mona58

Postby Giveupforgood » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks for the support mona....and well done! Sounds like your in a great frame of mind.

The biggest problem i face is not the next 3 weeks or so but after that.....once i forget about the pain and anguish i feel now. Once i think i can just have a few bets here and there. Once my love for horseracing kicks in again. I dont know how to deal with it. It always comes back to get me. Its not so much the gambling as such but my passion for horse racing thats gets me and the 2 go hand in hand.
Giveupforgood

Postby Mona58 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:28 pm

Thank-you Jonno,

It hasn't been an easy 18 days and I've always got to have my guard up.

You have pinpointed where your main problems are. You must ALWAYS remember the "pain and anguish" gambling causes . You know you can not safely bet here and there without falling into the trap again. You do know how to deal with it ... it is hard but you can do it! You do not have to live the rest of your life the way you feel now. You can still follow your love of horses Without the gambling part . The thrill and excitement of horses does not have to consist of betting your hard earnt cash Especially if you know what the consequences will be.

When the "3 weeks or so is up" - when temptation arrives work hard on resisting the urge! It hurts like crazy but it passes only if you want it to and you got to remember what the consequence will be. You can do it Jonno! You have already admitted you have a problem. Life is all trail and error and damn hard work for some of us. We can fix our errors.

Keep seeking advice and help where-ever you can . If one fails find another that you are comfortable with - its all there but it all comes down to you wanting and acceptIng help And following the advice that you need, Learn how your mind works - there is good advice in the post on page 6 (date Wed.June 3) by Jerry

Do you ride horses? Maybe a change .-a different scenario will help for awhile till you become stronger but it IS still a lifetime work to prevent relapse.

Mona
Mona58

Postby lodog » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:18 am

Jonnno, I feel you mate. I'm sitting at day 163, which is great but it hasn't been easy at all. Spring Carnival time has been so tempting. I found myself listening to the Cox Plate - and a big smile came to my face. But if my partner or partners family knew that, how would they feel?

I share your passion for horse racing, but after over three decades it's time to grieve.

What have you done with your betting accounts? Permanently self exclude from the ones you've got. It won't help for future bookies though, so maybe you need cards that can't deposit. Talk to your bank about that?

Don't look at odds for anything.

I regularly attend GA meetings, I get a lot from them. There's stories of success, and also heartbreak which remind me everytime of what I have to lose if I gamble today.
lodog

Postby Trackgambler » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi Jonno, i am also a horse racing fanatic. Grew up on a thoroughbred stud, dad stood horses that won the Derbies, Cox Plates, Mackinnon etc etc....the Cox Plate on the weekend with Winx was special as we had experience in record settings too. But yeah over the last couple of years i have gone from not betting at all, (maybe just the Melbourne Cup once a year ) to losing a phenomenol amount of money for me, especially in the last year...I chase losses, and are prone to doing multis, and putting them on and on again.

I have used credit and now i have big debts to pay. I have self excluded from most of my accounts now, and i cant get onto gambling sites on my pc, as i got my daughter to password protect a program to stop me getting into them. I havent had a bet now since last Friday night. I dont miss it, but i cant get over the loss of money at the moment. I could of been debt free, but now i owe more money then when i brought the house over 10 years ago. But i need to stay strong, and pay this debt down now. Grrrr wish i hadnt started i can tell you.
Trackgambler

Postby Giveupforgood » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks for all the replys. Its great to hear from some people who have problems with horse racing specifically. Lodog 167 days thats so good! You should be proud. Keep it up. Yeah springtime is a killer isnt it. Im still cranky at myself that it has gotten so far out of hand. With regards to all my accounts ect i have self excluded for all other than the tab. I backed a horse 3 weeks ago to win a few grand in the melbourne cup so im at least going to see if it wins....however if it does i will cash straight out and close the account either way. I would live to keep the conversation going and keep hearing your stories. I suppose my days will start from tuesday so i will start counting how many days i go and perhaps it will be some inspiration.
Giveupforgood

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard