" "

Tired and fed up

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: Tired and fed up

Postby JinxyWolf » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:51 pm

Hey Jonno,

Glad to hear you are going well and starting to feel more positive.

Keep up the good work.

Jinxywolf
JinxyWolf

Postby Izzi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Jonno, way to go that is AMAZING!!! keep going - we believe in you.
Izzi

Postby blastoise (facilitator) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:35 am

Hey jonno,

Great to hear, it's sometimes hard to see the light, when we are in such a dark/difficult place. Its a day by day journey, and you are doing a great job. The plan sounds like it is working well!

Cheers
Blastoise
blastoise (facilitator)

Postby Giveupforgood » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:49 am

Thanks for all of the support it means alot. It must be 2-3 weeks now since ive had a bet and it feels great. There has been only 1 time where i felt tempted where i was near my usual tab on a day off with all the time in the world. I managed to talk myself down....i reminded myself of the new plan i had set out and if i broke my own rules then that would be it i would have to give up completly which is what i promised myself. This seemed to be really effective. I had a couple of nights with my kids last weekend while my wife went out with her freinds....normally id be in a mad rush to get them to bed ao i can turn the tv on and start punting on my account which is so terrible. Anyway as i closed my account and am trying not to bet we watched movies, built a fort stayed up and had a great time.....just another great benifit from all of this. It makes me realise how lucky i am and how much ive missed out on all those other times. As ive mentioned a few times i have this boys weekend in a couple of weeks where we will be going to the races where i will have a bet. $20 limit per race as in my plan and only betting on the races were at not here there and evwrywhere. The weekend itself doesnt pose any problems for me as i will be away from home do not take any cards just the cash im prepared to spend on that weekend so i cant get into trouble. I have kne mate that would lend me money however ive already told him not to lend to me under any circumstances.....and now ive said that hes the sort of mate who wont. Im excited to have a bet and go to the races i wont lie and i do think theres anything wrong with that the real test will come after i get home. I need to remember my plan. I will read back through it and reaffirm everything to myself and also tell myself that if i can behave then i will be able to bet again when an oppurtunity arises within that same plan. I love how im feeling right now its amazing what a few weeks of the punt can do for you. Thanks again for all the support
Giveupforgood

Postby Shirley (facilitator) » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Good on you and well done for managing to ride the urge until it passed! By now you would be starting to build resistance by not gambling and every time you choose a different outcome you are strengthening the muscle even more. Well done and keep it up!

Regards,

Shirley
Shirley (facilitator)

Postby Giveupforgood » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:00 pm

So just back from the boys weekend. As mentioned i took only the amount of money i was prepared to lose and no cards or access to more. I enjoyed the wins hated the losses lol. As always. With a mixture if alcohol and gambling i didnt feel in control at all. I had a good win on the races but gave it all back that night in a flurry if bets. Once again its not the worst thing in the world i took what i was happy to lose. I did come home with a decent amount of money which is unusual however i was down for the weekend. It was a good reminder of how out of control and real my problem is. So my plan is to now stop again until another suitable occasion arises like a day out with the boys or day at the races ect. As previously mentioned these are few and far between these days so hopefully it will be a good couple of months before an opurtunity arises...in the meantime i need to stay strong and focused on my goals. I see some challenges that will arise in the next couple of weeks however i feel satisfied that i have had a bet and am now ready for another break till next time.
Giveupforgood

Postby Shirley (facilitator) » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:52 pm

Hey Johnno, If you can go a couple months until the next boys weekend then you will give your brain a chance to unlearn the old habit, which is great. Have you got a plan to manage urges after this recent betting weekend? Remember urges are like a stray cat - if you feed them (gamble) they will keep coming back so after the weekend you might find them creeping in again for a while. Be prepared for that and you will be okay as they are time limited and will pass as you have noticed. Sounds like you are setting some very strict limits for yourself and sticking to them well. Remember to notice even the smallest achievements. It builds confidence when we notice our success.
Shirley (facilitator)

Postby Giveupforgood » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks shirley,
Everything you have said is so true. I feel like if i can stick to my goals it will create a new sort of normal for me if that makes sense. I had the urge to bet this weekend i will be honest....however i told myself that i cant afford to as i cant go down that old path again. I was able to look at the bigger picture. I feel great having got through the weekend bet free and now it has been a week without a bet. I dont miss it like i do when i normally try and quit as i know if i can stick to what i say i will get a few oppurtunities to let my hair down through the year. Onwards and upwards.
Giveupforgood

Postby Giveupforgood » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:23 pm

Well been a couple of weeks....and its all turned to ****! I havent had any huge losses but i lost 2k this weekend which i really coulda done without! Headed into the working week feeling like ****....going to work to recoup losses instead of making money. I just wish so badly that i was 'normal' i just cant do it. I cant stick to a plan. My head always gets taken over. I dont know how the hell im going to do it but i need to quit or its going to kill me......no im not suicidal but its damaging my health my family and my general wellbeing. I told myself a few months back that i had to stop if i couldnt stick to what i said. No that its all come unstuck i know what i have to do but i dont want too. Has anyone been in the same boat? Any advice?
Giveupforgood

Postby pamela » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:38 pm

Jonno you just really have two choices..to gamble or not gamble.just as you choose to play you have to choose to stop and when youake that choice get all the help you can.It isnt easy but it can be done if you want it bad enough.dont give up or in but fight for your freedom from gambling
pamela

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard