" "

Commitment

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Commitment

Postby ABeatenMan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi all

Well it's day 3 gamble free from 28 years of losing my money in pokies . My sanity and self respect have gone. I have quitting tried before of course, but as one person at GA said to me , I am a boundary rider. Happy to be part of it , but not fully committing.

This time will be different, I have to believe that. I know how hard it is and I know this journey will have its ups and downs. For me though I feel like this is my last chance, if I can't make it work this time I will be lost forever.

I am very stubborn person though and will be hoping that stubbornness will help me, along with going to GA meetings and being fully committed will help.

Whether it be dopamine or something else it doesn't matter why I do this, i have to stop. As an individual I have no chance, with the help of everyone who understands I have every chance

Have a good night all and do WHATEVER it takes to not gamble
ABeatenMan

Re: Commitment

Postby blastoise (facilitator) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:01 am

Hi ABeatenMan ,

Thanks for sharing and welcome, sounds like gambling has been causing you issues for a long time and I am glad to see you on the forum. I think that boundary riding is always the case with people until they feel a level of commitment to change. There's no shame in this, at least you are exploring options like GA. I'd also encourage you to consider some counselling through Gamblers Help if you are comfortable (I say Gamblers Help as they can refer you to Gambling and Financial Counsellors that the governments covers the cost to see).

What do you think you need from yourself and others to help you on this journey?

What do others think have helped them on their journey that might be helpful?

Cheers

Blastoise
blastoise (facilitator)

Postby User 586eee5282d07 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:39 am

Hi and welcome,

You are not alone here. We all understand the depths of despair and anguish from gambling. It takes you to places you never thought possible. I really relate to how you are feeling.

I have been just over 2 weeks gamble free and can feel changes in my life already.
Stay strong and keep posting.

Sandra
User 586eee5282d07

Postby annnie » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:29 am

Hi & welcome,

First of all your not alone and your story so familiar to many, we do loose many of our good qualities and unfortunately acquire so many negatives whilst gambling. The good news is we can regain ourselves, who we were before gambling and loose who we have become. Take on all the support that is offered and with hard work , determination & strategies you can turn your life around

There were many days when I thought this battle is too hard & I could never do this after gambling for so long , lapsed in the early days, but with support continued to fight. Fight like you have never fought before and you can beat this. Retrain the mind and you can regain yourself.

Wishing you the best, take care & keep posting
annnie

Postby victorial » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi ,so good to see you here ,this is one place we can come where we know we are completely understood,they say variety is the spice of life fill your world with all kinds of things and ideas ,you can now you are no longer consumed by gambling fever,stick to the simple things at first that bring you joy and build on that,its amazing how life steps in to occupy you when you are no longer obsessed.After my last devestating gambling binge only a week ago it hurt me so much I had to come back here and since then I havnt given gambling another thought not even the teeniest bit,Im not even dreading payday as I was before ,because I know my soul has been so wounded by my last actions they will be my last,It was a good lesson learnt.I too attended weekly GA meetings years ago and I loved the feelings of friendship and support I found there,however at that time I was not ready to give up, this time I have never been more ready. With support from old and new members we can all do this together..stay strong and gamble free it really is worth the work and effort
victorial

Postby ABeatenMan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Here I am back again, beaten, bloodied and bashed into a numb state by these evil machines. It's now been 30 years of gambling and it's gotta stop

I seem powerless over them yet I cannot give up.

I pray to anyone who will listen please give me the strength

A beaten man
ABeatenMan

Postby Mona58 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi AB

Welcome back... I've read your post a couple of times today. Don't really know what to say. .- you're gonna have to be real strong and travel that real tough road ahead... take no shortcuts! Don't look back because there's nothing you can change... You can only work on making changes in what is ahead of you. Your post title answers that change... It's hard and confusing the first few months... but focusing on ONE day at a time you'll be surprised at how fast time goes ..-Sometimes! Sometimes it does go slow ... You can do it!

Mona 150 days GF (nearly 4 months!) edit.... oops that should be nearly 5 months!
Last edited by Mona58 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby little_fish » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:35 am

I hear you. Another day one for me, too. :/
little_fish

Return to The Courtyard