" "

My 28 year pokies affair

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: My 28 year pokies affair

Postby Wits end » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Day 48 today :)
Wits end

Postby Wits end » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Had me hair done today. Going away for a 4 day long weekend this weekend something I haven't done in 18 years. Super excited. Going away with my husband so I know I will not have any temptation to gamble. It will be a whole new experience !!!!!
Wits end

Postby FamilyFirst » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:25 pm

Hi Wits end,
Well done for reaching 48 days!!
That's awesome :cool:
Have a great long weekend with hubby, you deserve it!!
Stay strong and enjoy your new found life :)
Cheers, Lee
FamilyFirst

Postby Springhope17 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Congrats on 49 days! That is amazing!

Today I am on day 13 GF. I like logging on and reading everyone's stories and how you have dealt with the urges and stayed strong!

It gives me hope that I too can acheive this.

Keep up the good work and enjoy the long weekend away.
Springhope17

Postby Dave68 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:58 am

Hope you're doing well Witsend, as your gambling 'career' and mine are also of 28 years, from 18 till 46. Every day stopped is a day you have more of a life, so good luck, hopefully now almost 8 weeks down and you'll be already seeing some benefits, although personally for me they take longer to come. But after 39 months GF for me, i can see signs of thing improving!
Dave68

Postby Wits end » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks Dave68. I don't know how I feel really. I have suffered terrible anxiety all my life, don't go to the beach--shark might eat me, constantly on the look out at work for snakes, I don't do heights, didn't got to the Matilda's soccer games last night with my husband and kids because I was afraid of terrorists, I don't like to take medication-- because it might kill me. Pokies were my safe place to be, I feel lost, I still constantly think about them, I know I need medication for my anxiety, and have been on them off and on over the years. I don't like admitting there is something wrong with me, I try to be strong until I fall in a heap. I have lived a sheltered life. I am so confused atm wondering what there is in life for me now I don't have pokies, I work 7 days a week as we have a farm, but is that all there is, is this what my life will always be. My anxiety is just as crippling as my poker machine addiction. And I'm sure the pair of them go hand in hand.
Wits end

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:59 am

Hey Witsend,

It does sound like your anxiety is pretty severe. Have you spoken with a Psychologist about it? Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is a more effective treatment for anxiety in the long term. Combining Psychological treatment with medication works better than either one alone.

Its worth a go.

Also, you might try to use your anxiety as a helpful too to try to overcome gambling. Maybe you could start to think about all the things that could go wrong when you gamble. (OH NO, I might loose all my money!!!)

It sounds like you are using gambling as your space away form anxiety. Maybe if you had another safe space you would no longer need to gamble?

What is something else you could do if you wanted to feel secure?
Jerry (facilitator)

Previous

Return to The Courtyard