" "

Dan’s 100 day challenge to recovery

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: Dan’s 100 day challenge to recovery

Postby Jc » Wed May 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Well done Dan.

Take each day as they come. Try and plan for weekends/free time with activities/things to keep you busy.
Jc

Postby Calvin (facilitator) » Thu May 10, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi Dan,

Good on you for taking that first step in acknowledging gambling as a problem for you.
Its good to know that when you're busy at work all week you don't gamble because you come home feeling tired.
What do you think you could do over the weekend in replacement of the gambling that can help with your boredom? In the past did you ever take up any hobbies or activities that can help relieve boredom that you could possibly consider taking up again etc? This could be something to think about.

If you're interested in self-exclusion information, or you would like some telephone or face to face counselling, feel free to call gamblers helpline on
1800 858 858. You can have a chat with a counsellor and they can provide you with further support.

Regards,

Calvin
Calvin (facilitator)

Postby Dan P » Fri May 11, 2018 10:12 am

Day three. No urges, things are going better then I thought. The weekend is coming up, it will be a test but I’ll keep the post updated.

Appreciate the support
Dan P

Postby suz-free » Fri May 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi Dan, I'm also at day 3 with being GF from pokies. I'm glad I found your posts - perhaps we can do this challenge together :) My longest time I managed to stay away was at day 25 so now I'm challenging myself to beat that and go all the way, we can do this. Don't give in to any urges, keep reminding yourself of the damage it's done to your finances, keep up that determination to succeed :)

Suzy
suz-free

Postby Dan P » Sat May 12, 2018 11:23 am

suzybeauty wrote:Hi Dan, I'm also at day 3 with being GF from pokies. I'm glad I found your posts - perhaps we can do this challenge together :) My longest time I managed to stay away was at day 25 so now I'm challenging myself to beat that and go all the way, we can do this. Don't give in to any urges, keep reminding yourself of the damage it's done to your finances, keep up that determination to succeed :)

Suzy

Hey suzy!! Congratulations on the first few days, these will be the hardest part of the journey. Breaking routine.

We will keep in contact, let me know how things are going for you!

D.
Dan P

Postby suz-free » Sat May 12, 2018 11:52 am

Thanks for getting back to me Dan, you are right, it's going to be a fight for freedom. Today, day 4 has seen me in tears, I have a bad migraine, partner and I are not getting along, family don't seem to care about me when I call so I feel I am so isolated except for my friends here. I also rang the councellor here, for someone to talk to. I'm glad I did, it was good to talk to someone non judgemental who understood. Dan, keep going and if you get to a sadness/despair like I did today, call the councellor here, they're very good to clear any negative thinking 😊
suz-free

Postby How the F did I get here » Sat May 12, 2018 8:59 pm

It sure is a nightmare Dan! Yeah all I can say is throw yourself into kicking this addiction as hard as you can now! One thing im trying to do is stop living in the past all the regret etc
That being said boy would it be good to go back to being 24 and throw myself into kicking this addiction.

I was pretty much addicted badly by 19 and here I am only a few years from 40. Wasted fkn prime is all I can say. Although Im 22 days gf and life is bloody amazing, im actually appreciating every little thing. That being said, so many things I wish I had done. BIG ONE, SO WISH I HAD TRAVELLED!!

you mentioned about depression/anxiety, ive struggle since early teens depression and anxiety later, so before gambling addiction.
But obviously add the gambling and wow its on steriods.
All I can say is you are 24 now, you know the depression and the steroidal depression experienced after loosing all you money gambling. Just imagine how bad you will experience that if you wake up one day and another 10, 15 years pass and you are still in this nightmare.

Throw yourself head first now!
You can do it!!!! The meetings are great.
Wish I had attended when I was your again.

Ps
Dan and Suzy
Fantastic idea to be 100 day challenge buddies!!
Same day, be great support
All the best
How the F did I get here

Postby Dan P » Sun May 13, 2018 9:44 pm

Day 5 GF. Had a preety busy weekend so tried to keep myself as occupied as I could. Had a slight urge, but that went out the window within minutes. I have money left over from the week so starting this week fresh and keeping focused.

Suzy, if you need someone to contact I am happy to listen also. Keep at it, and be strong.

D.
Dan P

Postby Jc » Sun May 13, 2018 10:49 pm

Having money left over is such a great feeling. Getting through a weekend is a big accomplishment. We just have to fight these urges no matter what.

Stay strong.
Jc

Postby Dan P » Fri May 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Jc wrote:Having money left over is such a great feeling. Getting through a weekend is a big accomplishment. We just have to fight these urges no matter what.

Stay strong.

Day 9. And still gamble free. How are you traveling JC? I have been super busy with work and other things that I havnt really had the time. Which is good. I decided to go to a GA meeting a few days ago. It went well, scared the hell out of me and actually brang me back down to reality about the issue.

A lot of the guys were so supportive because they know what I’m also going through. It was a good feeling, I havnt had support like that in a long time. Let alone from a group of strangers.

D.
Dan P

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge