" "

Dan’s 100 day challenge to recovery

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Dan’s 100 day challenge to recovery

Postby Dan P » Mon May 07, 2018 10:16 am

I want to introduce myself.

Daniel, 24, and stuck in the nightmare we are all in. Addiction

I still remember the day I turned 18 and was now aloud to drink and gamble for the first time legally. First stop was the pub to celebrate the milestone of 18.

Drinks were flowing, good company at the time and felt like it was a new beginning. But over the last 6 years it has turned for the worse.

I am writing to express myself, speak with others about the same issue and try to get a grip of what’s going on.

I just can’t seem to let myself get past this rut that I am in. I have had a rough upbringing with an abusive father, broken family and not having anyone to turn to. Keeping it under cover and a secret is the easiest way but makes things much harder to manage myself.

I have been through depression for a number of years. And my anxiety still flares to today. I am now off the medication (I think for the better) and am wanting to start my road to recovery.

Today should be a start, but after my last run in with machines I now have to wait till Wednesday to officially start my day one (pay day)

I am usually ok through out the week, busy days at work make me not want to do anything but go home to rest. The weekends are the hardest when I am usually alone, bored and have. I thing better to do.

I know and can see how much it is effecting my lifestyle and the person I once was. Hoping to find my way back to that happy person I was a few years ago.

I have also decided to check for the local GA meetings in my area. I’m scared, nervous, but want to make the effort to get there to see what the sessions offer and if it will suit the problem I’m trhing to over come.

Wish me luck, this isn’t going to be easy..

D.
Dan P

Re: Dan’s 100 day challenge to recovery

Postby Dan P » Mon May 07, 2018 10:17 am

I will keep this post updated by the day to check in to see how things are going.
Dan P

Postby pamela » Mon May 07, 2018 11:11 am

Hi Dan and welcome..you have taken the first step towards recovery and that is huge.we all gamble for many reasons and once we learn how to deal with that differently ..it becomes easier to replace gambling with something else.You are still young so you can recover from this habit before it runs your whole life.
Try some counseling and see if that helps to recognize the triggers and how to deal with them.
If weekends are the trigger try going to the gym or movies or bushwalking..anything to break the pattern
Be strong and say no to gambling
pamela

Postby Dan P » Mon May 07, 2018 12:55 pm

pamela wrote:Hi Dan and welcome..you have taken the first step towards recovery and that is huge.we all gamble for many reasons and once we learn how to deal with that differently ..it becomes easier to replace gambling with something else.You are still young so you can recover from this habit before it runs your whole life.
Try some counseling and see if that helps to recognize the triggers and how to deal with them.
If weekends are the trigger try going to the gym or movies or bushwalking..anything to break the pattern
Be strong and say no to gambling

Pamela, I appreciate the reply. I guess I just need to stop doing and start thinking before my actions. I am not myself, like many other when you get caught up in that mind state. It’s not going to be easy but I’m willing to try my best.

Some of the best years of my life I have wasted sitting in front of a screen pushing a f*cking button. I need to put a stop to it before it takes me completely.
Dan P

Postby Jc » Mon May 07, 2018 4:41 pm

Good to see you post mate. Its a tough life to live. Lately all I’ve done is spend the money that I wouldve gambled with on presents for others and some on myself. Ive always had a problem of not spending money on anything, like being extremely cheapskate, then pumping all that money on gambling.

My rationale is the first weeks arent going to be about saving money, when your bank balance keeps rising from not gambling youre more prone to saying ‘oh well whats a $50 slap’, and then youre down the rabbit hole again. Its happened to me so many times. The relapses hurt the most especially if youve blown not 1 but 2 weeks of pay in one weekend. Ive been down that path so many times 😔. But thats just me, get a feel of it after a week and see how your urges are.
Jc

Postby Jo-Anne » Mon May 07, 2018 9:38 pm

Welcome Dan........We are with you and understand what you are going through. Any change takes time so that is why we count the days and have short term goals to aspire to. You have recognised what needs to change for you......take it easy......and one step at a time.....it does get easier.....sincerely Jo
Jo-Anne

Postby Dan P » Tue May 08, 2018 4:33 pm

Jc wrote:Good to see you post mate. Its a tough life to live. Lately all I’ve done is spend the money that I wouldve gambled with on presents for others and some on myself. Ive always had a problem of not spending money on anything, like being extremely cheapskate, then pumping all that money on gambling.

My rationale is the first weeks arent going to be about saving money, when your bank balance keeps rising from not gambling youre more prone to saying ‘oh well whats a $50 slap’, and then youre down the rabbit hole again. Its happened to me so many times. The relapses hurt the most especially if youve blown not 1 but 2 weeks of pay in one weekend. Ive been down that path so many times 😔. But thats just me, get a feel of it after a week and see how your urges are.

For sure JC, I agree. I’ve been there and done that many times. Telling myself not to let it happen again but a week later I’m in the same position. I’ve recently started working on a realationship I’m looking to peruse. All though she may not know, she will be able to keep me busy and try to keep me occupied.

I earn minimum wage trying to work towards a certificate, I may not gamble as much money as some on here.. but a good 2/3 of my pay will go towards the machines. I know that I will lose eventually but sit there any way and keep playing. It’s disgusting I work like a dog for the money I earn and do nothing with it.

Tomorow is pay day, I am planning to cover all bills and then some, put money away for petrol, food ect. Then see what I have left over and maybe even put the rest on bills so I physically don’t have money. It’s not going to be easy, but then atleast after a few weeks I will be ahead and I can try having money in the bank. But work on not spending, or wasting it.

Hoping to also get to a GA meeting tonight.. and see what it’s all about. It may not be for me; but it’s a step in the right direction
Dan P

Postby Dan P » Wed May 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Nearly the end of day one. It was also pay day, paid all bills, have money left over and no urge to gamble.

D.
Dan P

Postby Jo-Anne » Wed May 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Fantastic Dan....well done😊😊
Jo-Anne

Postby Mona58 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:15 pm

Have a plan in place...

urges do hit unexpectedly . I remember a time I was making coffee at stepmothers place... Urge hit... "hurry up get to the pokies"... it was a real strange moment!

stay strong Dan!

Mona.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Next

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge