" "

My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >

Postby Cazza » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:33 pm

Well done on your 50 days Chilax woohoo. Hope you are travelling well and enjoying the world cup without too much issues.
Keep strong and keep posting and reading the forum to remind you of how far you have come 😊
Cazza

Postby How the F did I get here » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:00 pm

Doing great Chilaxis! Great effort and control considering all the world cup goibg on around you.
Past the half way mark now! Keep it up 😊
How the F did I get here

Postby chilaxis » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:12 pm

51 to 55 days have been super hard. I think complacency is starting to set in especially with the World Cup games going on. Memories of wins are coming back. I needed to think hard to remember the losses and the gutted feelings and associate these losses with the football games I watch so that I remember that I WILL lose and feel depressed with any gamble.

I'm trying to imagine that the $24+k that I've lost on gambling as money I've paid to go to Russia to watch the World Cup this year. I am telling myself that I got a deal (a bad deal - pricey !) that allows me to watch all World Cup games. I don't want to worsen the deal by paying (gambling) more to watch the World Cup.

Although the struggle is very real and numbing, It feels great at the end of each day to know that I didn't gamble. One gamble is too many. 1000 gambles are not enough - as JC said.

55 Days GF. One day at a time!
chilaxis

Postby Cazza » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:28 am

How are you traveling chilax?
Keep pushing the urges away and ride the waves out. Nearly at 60 days aren't you?
Much strength to you this weekend 😊
Cazza

Postby How the F did I get here » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:23 pm

Also sending strength your way Chilaxis.
Definitely a trying time for you. You can do it. You've got this.
How the F did I get here

Postby Jc » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:31 pm

Hang in there Chilaxis!
Its hard but you can do it.
Think about what will happen if you bet. The fact that you have to start from the beginning. Im going through it to man, im suffering but I just cant give in.
Jc

Postby Calvin (facilitator) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi Chilaxis

Well done being gambling free for that long! keep up the great work, it is a journey that sometimes isn't all that easy, just be patient with yourself and the process!

Everyone on this forum is providing such helpful support!

Regards,

Calvin
Calvin (facilitator)

Postby chilaxis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:21 am

Thanks for the support all, really appreciate it!

I'm at 77 GF, and in between the last time I posted, the following have transpired:

- Money that I have not used to gamble have been used to buy a replacement lens for my daughter and bring my family up to a snow mountain for a family trip. Feels good to have had the money to do these for my family.

- Had the ability to concentrate on building revenue stream for business. Fledgling business is still a struggle, but it's moving in the right direction.

- Watched World Cup games with my family without placing a single bet .

- Watched a World Cup game with wife one night on the bed and she actually popped the question "You have not been betting recently, have you?" , with 2+ months being GF at that point, I was able to say 'No' with a smile and conviction.

- Helped trained my son in football, and saw him score 6 goals in a Sunday league game. Super proud as dad to see that!

- There were a few occasions I took a look at odds of the World Cup games and did some 'mock betting' in my head (I noticed that this happened to you too JC! The temptations just don't go away...), but countered it by remembering gut-wrenching losses due to unforeseen events that amounted to me accumulating $24+k in gambling losses. Training my mind to quickly divert thinking to put money in savings/business/investments instead.

Am committed to keep the financial (and energy, time) leak plugged, one day at a time...

All the best with your fights too JC, Tara, Cazza, Peapod, P&H, Dan, Jinxywolf... we can do this.
chilaxis

Postby flipper (facilitator) » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi Chilaxis,

What an inspirational and insightful post, thank you for sharing! It is so wonderful to see the positive changes that have come into your life and what this means for both you and your family. Looking at past posts, a month or so ago you were feeling as though complacency was starting to build with the World Cup on, and today you are able to post that you've been able to watch the games without betting- which is such a fantastic achievement!

You mentioned that you remind yourself of your previous losses as one way of discouraging yourself from betting, but also diverting your funds into savings accounts/investments etc to limit access to the money itself- both of these are great strategies.

Keep it up, as you said, one day at a time :)

Flipper
flipper (facilitator)

Postby Cazza » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 am

Well done chilax, life does feel pretty fantastic these days doesn't it. Keep going and stay strong 😊
Cazza

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge