" "

My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >

Postby Catherine1 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:39 pm

All the best Chilaxis. I know how you feel. I did a stupid thing last night and played the pokies - blew $1600. I have that same sick in the gut feeling. I had it last night and have had it all today. I think to myself. How can I be so stupid. I know I can't win, so why do I keep coming back. So Day 1 for me today. I had a big day yesterday, Had to take my brother to hospital to get tests done (black outs for no reason) and then I found out my elderly Dad ended up in hospital yesterday too. They're running tests on him today. So, I believe the stress of that sent me over the edge. But I was the stupid person that withdrew that money to gamble with. I also done this in record time - 1 1/2 hours. It will take me over 40 hours of working to get this money back. I am so annoyed, frustrated, etc with myself at the moment.
Catherine1

Postby chilaxis » Wed May 02, 2018 7:38 pm

The pain in the guts is real, even though my last relapse was 7 days ago, I still feel it, so I understand your feeling Catherine. It looks like you've identified the triggers too from your big day, useful to be able to identify them to have a plan to prevent future relapses. It's good that you're coming back with a resolve to beat this. I wish you all the best in your recovery!
chilaxis

Postby Cazza » Thu May 03, 2018 8:59 am

Well done on your 7 days Chilax. A little stronger each time and more resolve, you can see it coming through on your posts. You can do this.
Just one more day 😊
Cazza

Postby chilaxis » Thu May 03, 2018 9:55 pm

Cazza wrote:Well done on your 7 days Chilax. A little stronger each time and more resolve, you can see it coming through on your posts. You can do this.
Just one more day 😊

Thanks Cazza! Well done on your 4 weeks too - that's an amazing achievement. Eyes to the front and no turning back. We can do this, just one day at a time.
chilaxis

Postby chilaxis » Fri May 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Just reporting in that I'm on Day-16 GF now. Been busy at work and not had the chance to post as often.

It's great to read on this forum that others are travelling well on their GF journey too - well done to you all! As for the newcomers, I assure you you have hope. I stumbled twice after starting on this forum. First time, went for 5 days GF before stumbling, second time, restarted on 0 and went to 11 days GF before stumbling. After another restart from 0, now I'm on Day-16 and the future is looking much brighter.

It's true what others have shared, that as each day go by, It gets easier to fight the urge. The first 10 days GF are super hard. But taking that important decision / step to close my last remaining gambling account has been key for me to overcome these first 10 days. Before my last relapse, I thought to keep one account open so that when my financial situation gets better I could make one 'last' 'safe' bet on a strong team vs. weak team to chase back my lost money. But now I realize this is part of the gambler's addiction/thinking. Keeping a gambling account open means any bets of mine will never be 'last'.

Business is stressful, as is family problems that come up occasionally, but been dealing with that through prayer and meditation rather than with watching sports/gambling. Bank account is not healthy yet as business is still in its infancy and still building cashflow/income. But at least I know that I will be giving this business a chance by not shooting myself in the foot.

One day at a time - for my family. Continuing my journey onwards to 100 days.
chilaxis

Postby chilaxis » Thu May 17, 2018 4:27 am

Day-22 GF.

Days of waking up and immediately checking overnight soccer livescores are now behind me. Now replaced with thoughts of what am I going to do next for my fledgling business.

A few days ago I went through a minor depression / withdrawal due to family circumstances, and negativity crept into my thoughts again with a lot of regrets about gambling and "what if" thoughts.

But I'm slowly training my mind to take past lessons as positives to move forward - treating past mistakes as "investments" in wisdom and a better future in life. I saw a quote online that said :-
"If you could erase all your mistakes of your past, you would also erase all your wisdom of the present".

Hope this encourages anyone who reads my post and are trying to stay GF like myself. Have a good day everyone, and all the best.
chilaxis

Postby Jo-Anne » Thu May 17, 2018 9:35 am

I'm really happy for you Chilaxis.......22 days GF is a great effort. You are fighting so well......I get the odd day of minor depression as well but now I am out working away from home it is not as prevalent and like you don't give in to it. I hope you see the resu.ts of your hard work in your business very soon. I like that quote too, says a lot doesn't it? Cheers Jo
Jo-Anne

Postby Cazza » Thu May 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Well done chilax, each GF day makes us slowly stronger . It's funny i have never been a big fan of quotes, but since starting my GF journey i have embraced alot of them.
If it makes us stop to think and turn our minds to a happier place i'm all for it.
Keep going and stay strong 😊
Cazza

Postby chilaxis » Wed May 23, 2018 2:13 am

28 days GF.

Today I had been barraged on a few fronts by temptations :-
- I saw the latest AFL ladder where my favourite team - West Coast Eagles were leading the table.
- I saw gambling banner ads on sports news sites where they've started to put World Cup odds
- Business' cash flow getting very tight and have to dip into personal savings to finance business.
- Planned snow trip for family and saw the costs it required.

Thank God I've managed to avert temptations to bet for "easy money" - I feel that my prefrontal cortex (Rational-Self) has gotten stronger these past four weeks of staying GF. I automatically get that nauseous feeling of my last loss, and also visualize my hard-earned money going down the drain when I see sports betting odds now.

I saw this video and was able to relate to it in a big way (for anybody who's recovering from sports-betting - it's very good viewing) :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AN3VLLlkdI

How he started gambling through sports-betting, his personality of not liking to lose, and being an optimist, his mood swings when gambling, how it affected his family, and how he was broken in the end -- they all sound very close to home to me.

He did not stop for three years and gambled away £750,000, his wife, and is now warning others not to do the same. Big person to be sharing his experience to help others.

I don't want to have that ending - I love my wife and kids too much to gamble them away.
chilaxis

Postby Cazza » Fri May 25, 2018 10:39 pm

Well done chilax 😊
Cazza

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge