" "

My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

Postby chilaxis » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:37 pm

Over these past 6 months, I've lost $20,500 and so much time to sports betting when I should have been spending time to build my small business or spending time with my wife and kids! All these hard-earned money and time wasted.

I started my first-ever gambling on TAB's website 6 months ago shortly after I took out a $45,000 credit card 2-years interest-free loan for my small business. Only God knows why I chose such a ridiculous time to start gambling - the stress of the transition from being a paid employee to the uncertainty of starting/running a business maybe? It's so sad that almost half of the loan I took out is now is gone. I've decided to stop NOW so that the trend does not continue and eat into my hard-earned savings and affect my wife and two kids too!!!

My last bet was 3 a.m. yesterday 07-April-2018, where I staked $2,500 on Cardiff City to win or draw vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers a home, Cardiff lost 0-1 ... I still can't believe they missed two penalties in stoppage time! Lost $2,500 in one night, $6,500 in this past week alone. It's just crazy.

it's been a roller coaster ride, initially winning money then giving it back and losing heaps more....take a look at how sports betting has gradually sucked my hard-earned savings from me :

There were at least 5 occasions in the past six months where I decided to quit when I was down, where I've self-excluded myself from the online sports gambling website, only shortly to sign-up on another sports gambling website to continue betting after going cold for a week. Heck I've even been to Gambler's Anonymous in January when I was only $13,000 down. I hate myself for all these relapses that dig me a bigger financial hole each time, so now I'm going to make my challenge public on this forum. I've also scheduled my first face-to-face appointment with a Gambling Counsellor next Friday - hopefully the counselling can help me deal with the psychological aspect of my urges.

I've now gone through 36 hours without placing a new bet. It's so HARD on the weekend when the soccer matches are held (I'm a die-hard soccer fan). I've constantly had the urge to place a new bet. But thank God at the corner of my mind, there's a voice that reminded me that gambling is futile activity over the long-term (just take a look at the chart above!). I've made the decision now to concentrate on building my business and take it one day at a time.

Let's hope by the end of this 100-day challenge, I would have stayed away from sports betting totally, and within the time built my business up to be a profitable-one to support my family.

I'll try to come back to log my experiences over these next 100 days. Good luck to all of the others on this forum taking on the challenge too! A day at a time....
Last edited by chilaxis on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
chilaxis

Re: My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >

Postby chilaxis » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:41 pm

A shout-out to phone counselor Val who took my call to the Gambling Help 1800 858 858 number yesterday and gave me some good advice, including pointing me to this forum, Thank you! I'll try my best to defeat this addiction.
chilaxis

Postby Cazza » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:33 pm

Hope you are hanging in there. I'm on day 2 and basically been a grump on and off. My issue are the pokies so i physically have to leave the house to gamble. I imagine it would be difficult when temptation is online. I have handed over my cards to my husband and he will give me an allowance each week. That for me is the start of tackling my addiction.
Much strength for you to realize after such a short time of gambling that you need to fix it. :)
Cazza

Postby chilaxis » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:17 am

Day-2 Completed - Gambling-Free.

I was hanging in there by a thread last night. The football games were on and I was tempted very much to place another bet - but had been so busy with discussing work matters with my wife last night that I didn't even have the chance to place the bet before the matches begun.

The sad thing is that when I looked at the results this morning, the matches which I had the urge to make bets on went the way I predicted. So I'm in a mixed state of mind right now, sad because I missed out on bet winnings, happy though that I've remained gambling-free for my 2nd day.

But taking a step back and re-looking at the chart above of how my gambling have gone in the past 6 months, if I resume gambling I'll eventually lose more than I win and dig an even bigger hole. So it's better to stay away.

4 more days till my appointment with the Gambling Counselor, it can't come soon enough. I need help to manage my urges better.

My goal now for this month is to get 20 more students for my wife to teach (we run a language education business) - I think this is a much healthier goal than say my goal for this month is to get back my lost $20k through betting on soccer.

Cazza wrote:Hope you are hanging in there. I'm on day 2 and basically been a grump on and off. My issue are the pokies so i physically have to leave the house to gamble. I imagine it would be difficult when temptation is online. I have handed over my cards to my husband and he will give me an allowance each week. That for me is the start of tackling my addiction.
Much strength for you to realize after such a short time of gambling that you need to fix it. :)

Cazza - good on you for remaining gambling-free for the 2nd day! I think you've put in place a very good process to remain Gambling-Free by handing over your cards to your husband to give you an allowance. I can understand the grumpiness you are going through, I feel very agitated too going into Day-3 myself, we just need to tackle this a day at a time.
chilaxis

Postby Jo-Anne » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:31 am

Hi Chilaxis it was a good thing that you were distracted.......I used to bet on the horses and since I have stopped betting I find it is better not to look at the results, except maybe the Melbourne Cup!!. I also do not watch any commercial TV......because of the betting ads (which should be banned of course) and ads in general!! As you say a win is not really a win because it only sucks us back in. Congratulations on getting through the weekend without having a bet.......I'm sure you will be able to be a great help building up your wife's business.......cheers Jo :)
Jo-Anne

Postby chilaxis » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:19 pm

Jo-Anne wrote:Hi Chilaxis it was a good thing that you were distracted.......I used to bet on the horses and since I have stopped betting I find it is better not to look at the results, except maybe the Melbourne Cup!!. I also do not watch any commercial TV......because of the betting ads (which should be banned of course) and ads in general!! As you say a win is not really a win because it only sucks us back in. Congratulations on getting through the weekend without having a bet.......I'm sure you will be able to be a great help building up your wife's business.......cheers Jo :)

For me not looking at the results will be very difficult as even before I started gambling, I've been a massive sports fan since my childhood days for over 30 years. There lies my conundrum. Sports used to be innocent and fun and a big part of my life, now it's a trigger for something sinister. Ripping away sports from my life is like ripping out a big chunk out of me. I need to find I away to stop it from triggering an urge in me to gamble, while still being able to enjoy it as I had in the past.

But, big thanks for the tips and encouragement Jo!
chilaxis

Postby Jo-Anne » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Hey, yes what works for some may not work for another....In my favour I have never really been a sports fan, although my son is mad keen on all sports.
I understand what you are saying Chilaxis....all cool......You will find your way for sure......
Jo-Anne

Postby chilaxis » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Just read about a method to resist gambling urges as shared by JinxyWolf on another thread, will give it a try the next time I get the urge on this 100-day journey >>

STOP
What you are doing
• Stop walking • Stop talking • Stop worrying • Take a break

TAKE A BREATH
•Take some slow breaths •Focus your attention on the experience of breathing •Feel your breath IN through nose. And OUT through your mouth
•Keep breathing

OBSERVE.
•The sensations in your body, what are you feeling • What thoughts or emotions are you experiencing?
•Can you notice tension or tightness or a clenched jaw •Notice as much as you can
• Expand your awareness to the rest of your body, the environment you are in and the overall situation

PROCEED
• Mindfully. Instead of reacting without thought, make a choice about how to respond to your urge
• Proceed with something that will support you in the moment
chilaxis

Postby Jo-Anne » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Agreed we should definitely write down what we are feeling when the urges hit, because I have never really worked that out yet!! It is difficult trying to remember those thoughts later
Jo-Anne

Postby chilaxis » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:30 am

This morning I woke up at 5a.m. to begin work, but rather than doing that, spent 3.5 hours working on spreadsheets to decide what my next betting plan should be. I used the STOP technique mid-way then I came to my senses and am now resuming work again.

Tomorrow, I'll try to wake up at 5.am. to actually begin work.

Day-3 - GF.
chilaxis

Next

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge