" "

My 100 Challenge

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

My 100 Challenge

Postby Peace&Harmony » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:24 pm

Well I have finally found some adequate foresight to come onto a foum and commit to this program to change my life and I am rather excited and terrified about the journey.

My gambling addiction has been something I have been battling off and on for the past 10 years. I have gone through long periods of not gambling, and then periods of high intensity gambling. I have recognised that this goes hand in hand with my anxiety at which now I can see it for what it is rather, after being diagnosed with that.

Overall, I have been gambling a little bit too much for my liking over recent months. It is time to stop it. I am using this forum as a diary entry to be accountable with the community in here as well as to complement the counselling and other services I am seeking.

Sure playing irregularly to some may not be an issue but it is for me. I feel like it is at a point where good money is being wasted and compromising my future and my partners future and that is not OK.

So here we go.... :)

P&H
Peace&Harmony

Re: My 100 Challenge

Postby Mona58 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:46 am

Welcome to the forum P&H '

Wishing you strength on your journey to a gamble free life!

Stay strong and keep posting.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Pea pod » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:21 am

Well done Peace and Harmony. Keep posting.
Anxiety is all part of the addiction for me.
I've recognised through time that I emotionally escape to gambling when ever I start to feel uncomfortable about something. Replacing that emotional anxiety with something else is the key. Mine is walking, cleaning, writing, movie watching , coming on here and you will find yours .All the best
Pea pod

Postby Peace&Harmony » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you for the warm welcome. It is so comforting to know that I am not going through this alone.

For me I have been battling with it, for over 10 years. I have seen what it has done to the rest of my family, and regardless if I gamble as heavily or not is not even the issue. For me is the inability to stop and place boundaries when gambling.

Anxiety does seem to be a major trigger and that does indeed increase impulse control issues.

And there does seem to be a familial challenge with gambling.

Last night when sitting in the club after dinner, a dinner out for work, I was just so shocked at how easily I was drawn in, threw in a few hundred dollars and nothing happened, and I thought to myself, this is not me, but it was and it was real and I needed to stop and address this.

There is too much to gain than to lose, and I walked out and found this and for me, I have been feeling very much an issue over this, like I said for 10 years. I have so much more of my life to live, and it is not to be sucked into these hideous deceitful machines. It may be fine for other people to play them, that is for them, but for me and it sounds like for a lot of us, it is most certainly not OK.

Day 2 in and feeling fine. No urges or anything that made me think of gambling, more focussed on just finding a solution and a management plan that will snuff this out once and for all so I can get on enjoying everday life again on a higher level.
Peace&Harmony

Postby Peace&Harmony » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Day 3 today. Luckily I have to work :)

It is the weekend period that I struggle with the most so I am keen to see how I feel, if there are any urges, feelings of frustration or fear. If my anxiety will peak and appear.

I know it will be tough but I am fairly aware of what is ahead of me and the cycle that is in place!

It is about breaking the cycle and that will be tricky this weekend. I nearly got there last weekend, by myself, but the last 2 hours tripped me up.

So will be interested to see how it goes this weekend :)
Peace&Harmony

Postby Peace&Harmony » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:25 pm

Currently coming to the end of day 4 and feeling fine.

Surpisingly no urges but I have been socially very busy and mainly at home.

Hope everyone is doing OK this long weekend.

P&H
Peace&Harmony

Postby shaun1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:28 am

Sounds like you're going fine!

Keeping you're self busy with social plans and hobbies is always a great distraction!

Anytime u feel a slight urge, take yourself back to when u were sitting in the club and just lost your last lot of money and that sinking feeling of "what have i done", always remember that feeling and make it your motivation to never get back to that again.
shaun1

Postby Peace&Harmony » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Hi Shaun,

Doing great as I move into Day 7 GF. Feeling fine and after the behavior of the recent weeks, feeling buoyed by the change in mental health and making sure I am giving It a great go.

It has been remarkable to see how the urges do really sweep over like a wave that crash over and then disappear and how many times I would just respond without any rational thought process.

Coming here makes a difference and talking about it with you all.

P&H
Peace&Harmony

Postby Peace&Harmony » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:12 pm

Well I have made it over a week since gambling and feeling great and really no urges though I do have waves of nausea and have had headaches which could be my anxiety flaring without just going and numbing myself with the old pokie machine.

I am the lucky one within my family that has broken away from gambling. Before I joined the forum, I wasn't gambling everyday or placing an enormous amount of money in everytime. But I still felt I had a problem as I was not happy, I was wasting money and I would do it when I was bored.

Now in this first week I have started to see it for what it is. My sisters and my mother are addicted to the pokies and my sister lost $70k on them once, was GF for many years only to return over 2 years ago and is going pretty much everyday while on mat leave. It is so sad.

I live in a different state to them. I still have a good relationship with them all, but it is so hard to bring this subject up, especially to those who have gotten help before and to try and encourage them to seek it again. However, it is the journey and I need to respect their own journey.

But today I am GF 8 days. Happy about that and feeling fine and working hard.

This weekend I travel to see the family and I know THAT is a trigger!
Peace&Harmony

Postby Mona58 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Congratulations on stayIng strong. 8 days is great.

I hear what you mean about others gambling. l have a friend still gambling and she always askes me how many days am I. And she might tell me she'd gone last week... but only with such and such amount... very vague. That's about the limit of the conversation,

We can only stay strong and take care of ourselves. When you get through that family get together... gamble free... as I think / hope you will..-you will feel so much weight lifted of your shoulder. I can imagine it being nerve raking but be strong and stay focused! You can do it!

Mona
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Next

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge