" "

Day 1 for me - gotta break the cycle

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Day 1 for me - gotta break the cycle

Postby SistaB » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:46 pm

today i did what i said I wouldnt do and gambled away the last of my money ...and then some of my partners. Wracked with guilt and so sick of not being able to break the cycle. 100 day challenge starts NOW.
I was always an independent, confident person, but the past few years have just been wasted away doing nothing but gambling away the future - my son's, mine and my partners. Something has got to give and I want to stop. Looking forward to getting the support I need.
SistaB

Re: Day 1 for me - gotta break the cycle

Postby DFP » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi there. Welcome. It's great that you have recognised that you have a problem and that you want to change. A great start is to read posts - and you realise that you are not alone. I won't repeat advice here as you can read the other posts; but I think it is important that you do not try to do this alone. Are you able to be honest with your partner and son? Seek their support and keep you accountable? They can also help to limit your access to cash (which is essential). Best wishes and keep posting your thoughts and your progress.
Always a 'work in progress'
DFP

Postby puggles » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi SistaB, hope you are hanging in there!

I've done what you've done, i have lost it all, exhausted all lines of credit. Even when i promised myself i would not put mysekf in that position, even when i saw it coming from a mile off.

I have been trying to stop for years, have done one on one therapy, but coming to this forum i have found very helpful.

As DFP says, read the posts and understand you are not alone. When i did one on one therapy (which i recommend btw) its easy to feel like it is just you, the other people are just statistics.

It is really great to read about people like us succeeding, breaking the habit, and drawing inspiration from that. But it is also great to read about so many prople trying as well, even if they do slip up, and everyone on here rallying around them, and people not giving up.

I am on day 21, but i have had some slip ups so i should be on day 38, but the main thing is i am trying and getting better at it. Tonight, i really thought about gambling, and i mean alot. By now, normally i would probably be $1000 down for the night, but i was able to acknowledge that feeling and asked myself is that who i want to be? And i walked right past venue i used to go to. I wouldn't have been able to do that previously.

So, although i am only 3 wks GF, as a long term daily gambler, i can feel a positive change already. You can do it with the support of the people here behind you, and if you slip, be kind to yourself.

Stay strong.
puggles

Postby Chunkyquitter » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:28 pm

Yep good advice. Each time you don’t I build resolve. I felt horrible last time I quit, anxious and not well.

The last year I was able to get myself back on track financially. I repaid lots of my debt and have been tracking well.

Leave time for yourself to do enjoyable things along the way but definitely realising you’ve had enough is the start to recovery.

Forgive yourself, you are likely a really good person with a void to fill.

Stop and watch how much better your mind space will be and your relationship because you are co trolling your moods better will be great for your child
Chunkyquitter

Postby Mona58 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:48 am

Hi Sista,

Welcome to the forum!

All has been said and I wish you strength on your journey to a gamble free life...that is guaranteed to be much much nicer than a gambling one!

Mona 16 Weeks & 2 days GF (115days)
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Thank you all for encouraging words

Postby SistaB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Thank you everyone who has provided me great advice and support and shared part of their stories to me, but with everyone on this forum.

Day 3 for me, but I am feeling positive.

The test will be Day 5 which is my pay day, but i'll be checking in for support

Stay strong everyone
SistaB

Postby DFP » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 am

Can you limit your access to cash for day5? Don't carry the ATM card with you - can you give it to someone else to look after? Only carry a small amount of cash on you. Plan ahead - plan an activity that is nowhere near the pokies - even if it is planning to do something at home. Plan ahead to be busy, nowhere near a venue and with only the small amount of cash you need. And stay strong when the gambling voice suggests you can go and play just for a short time - it's a trick!!! Good luck and keep posting.
Always a 'work in progress'
DFP

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge