" "

My Story

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: My Story

Postby Mona58 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Well done Puggles.

Keep focusing and stay strong.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby fray » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi Puggles,

Keep going one day at a time.
We are all pretty much in the same situation.
Debt Debt Debt.

No more for me, just chip a way and try to pay it off.

No more making publicans or bookies rich, my kids and family have suffered enough. I have lost count how many days i am on but will call it an even 10.

I am cheering for you puggles and hope we can all beat this devil of a thing.

D
fray

Postby puggles » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks again for the support, made it to double figures and navigated a known sressor for me, which are Sunday evenings after i drop my son back to his mum. I've had some of my "best" binges after that previously. Decided to just go for walk (in the heat!) and left the wallet at home just in case.

Stay strong people!
puggles

Postby Oregon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:36 am

I've found the best strategy is limiting access to cash when I am out.
It's a ritual for me to go to the local atm at the start of every week and withdraw my week's pocket money
And then I'll only take what I need for that day, maybe $20 or $50 if I want to get a bit of petrol for the car
Then I can drive by the venues knowing that even if I went in I could only gamble a few dollars, and so what's the point?
Gamble free since 22.01.18
Oregon

Postby Jeddie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:22 am

Oregon, hi there, I used to think what was the point of gambling if you only had a small amount. I haven’t noticed anyone else say that. Used to be happy with $20 and then it was $50 and the I noticed it crept to $100. Very scary that money had no worth.. keep up the good work everyone

101 gf for me
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:53 pm

Jeddie, Congrats on making it to 100 days :)
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Jeddie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:13 pm

Thanks Jerry, 😀
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby puggles » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:59 pm

Hi Team,

It's been a while since i visited this forum, so i owe you all an update!

January has come and gone pretty quickly!

My 100 days started on the 30/12, so today is day 33. However, I had two slip ups. One on day 12, and another on day 17, so i'm really only on day 16 gamble free, or 16/33...! But...

I'm not letting that get me down. That's because over those two slip ups, i lost a combined $300. So whilst it's not trivial, on both occasions it could have been worse, so I was able to exercise some self control. More importantly for me though, is that I got through the calendar month with only gambling $300. Putting that in perspective for me is masive though. That's the least in a calendar month i've spent on gambling in around 16 years I think. Last year, my average monthly gambling loss was $5000/month. So this is huge.

I'm well primed to carry this through February. One day at a time, and I can already notice a difference in my mindset. I still think about gambling. Yesterday I thought about it a lot. But I asked myself the following questions
- how would I feel if i lost? well, I told myself I would feel angry and upset
- how would I feel if I broke even? I would feel like i let myself down for exposing myself and risking it
- how would I feel if I won? This was the scenario I was most worried about. If I won, it would be great to have an extra couple of hundred on my right now. But I know, deep down, it would undo all the effort to date, and I would spiral back into "winning is easy" mode, and the +$200 would quickly turn into -$1000 by the end of the week as I re-engaged in gambling with the false belief that I would win.

So on that balance, I took $20, and went and bought a beer from the bottle shop instead, and enjoyed that plus the change that came with it!

So if you are reading this and you are starting on your journey... it is hard. You may slip up. But even now, 33 days (and two slip ups in), I can feel it getting a little bit easier. Go easy on yourself.

Hopefully now I can keep checking in with good news.

Stay strong people.

Regards
Ian
puggles

Postby suzybeauty » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:14 am

Hi puggles,
I'm Suzy and read your posts, it's nice to meet you and I look forward to knowing more about you. How is your pokie free journey going ? Stay strong, and keep reminding yourself that you are not a gambler - we are all here for you. Keep posting !
suzybeauty

Postby Catherine1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:44 am

All the best Puggles. I too have mathematical/statistics background, so it doesn't make sense that we play these rotten machines and lose our money. Sorry to hear about your marriage breakdown and loss of your house. Gambling is evil and we must continue to think that. We will never win. You may win in the short term but it ends up going all back in plus much more. I am at Day 27. I have been trying to give up for the last 12 months. I have had a gambling problem for 5-6 years. At one stage I was redrawing on my mortgage to replace the money I had wasted gambling. I have now stopped doing this and I am now paying extra off to catch up the amounts I have withdrawn in the past. It is hard, but I have a good feeling about 2018. I want this year to be the year I finally give this addiction the boot. This addiction certainly doesn't give you any favours. We need to think of all the bad things gambling does to us. Ie: Feeling on edge, lying to your partner where you have been for endless hours, wasting time when you could be doing better things, wasting money when you could be spending it or saving it for a better life. I hope we can work through this challenge together. All I can say it is not easy. You have to really want this to give it up. Please limit your cash. I find if I have spare cash in my purse or spare time, this is when I feel like gambling. So, now I have changed all my atm limits to minimal amounts. And give, my partner my cards so I can't access them. I only keep my credit card, which I use to pay groceries etc, but don't have a cash withdrawal on this card.
Catherine1

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge