" "

Day 0

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: Day 0

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi Tja12345,

I think one tactic that is helpful for many people is to plan activities ahead of time. You know you are more tempted by gambling on Friday and Saturday nights. You don't need to wait till Friday to work out what you will do instead. You can plan ahead.

Have a think about different things you can do for your weekend and book them early. Maybe you could book a table at a restaurant, or buy tickets to a movie or show. Organizing this sort of stuff early not only help you to beat cravings, but gives you something to look forward to for the whole week.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Tja12345 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 pm

So I got to Friday night and gave in.

It wasn't as bad as it could have been and rather than an entire weekend of gambling, it was one night.

I can see how and why this happened. Home alone, everybody away, pay week and a huge week at work. I just wanted to zone out and have some me time. I am going to have to find another 'me time' activity.

So I've restarted the clock, day 3.

I'm okay with myself, this is a journey.. If it was so easy to give up, I wouldn't be here.
I'm still figuring out my triggers and how to put into place strategies. I'll get there.. Eventually
Tja12345

Postby DFP » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:57 am

Hi tja
Well done on putting perspective on your recent gambling bust. It is a journey, an undulating journey - I've been on it for years. And for me it'll never end, as I will always need my strategies and barriers in place. Always a work in progress.

As you say, keep working on your triggers and strategies. Also on awakening to 'the real you', and what you really value and really enjoy doing with your time.

All the best, and keep posting.
Always a 'work in progress'
DFP

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:36 am

So Taj,

What can you plan to keep you busy for this weekends urges? Maybe you could buy tickets to a movie, or make dinner reservations?

Book ahead.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Tja12345 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:50 pm

This weekend I'm away. I will have my child with me.. That's a Sure way to stay away from the pokies.
Tja12345

Previous

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge