" "

100 day as my first goal

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: 100 day as my first goal

Postby Mona58 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:01 am

Well done on staying strong DFP
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby DFP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Happy New Year to all!!!

In addition to continuing to control my gambling urges (every day, one day at a time), my resolutions are to:

- walk / jog 5km every day (being doing it over the holidays, and it's a great ritual to support)
- eat healthier food (more real, less packaged)

Put together I hope to lose a bit of weight.

Best of wishes to you all on a gamble free 2018.

DFP
Always a 'work in progress'
DFP

Postby Oregon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:05 am

Great resolutions DFP
Goals to work towards and something healthy to replace the addiction of gambling. :D
Gamble free since 22.01.18
Oregon

Postby Mona58 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:29 pm

Its amazing the amount of energy we seem to have. It makes me wonder how l could have sat in front of a pokie machine all day... and not have energy to do anything afterwards! I'm so glad those gambling days are getting further further away...

80 days 80 days 80 days Gamble free.ee... * blushes (l'm real excited!)
Mona58

Postby Jeddie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:05 pm

You should be excited, you have done so well and helped and inspired many of us on here.

Sending more strength for the next 20 days
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Mona58 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:35 am

thanks jeddie x
Mona58

Postby suz-free » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:04 am

Hi DFP,
I just wanted to visit here to see your posts and support you too and to say thank you for visiting mine & being a support to me as well, really means a lot to me. It's been a rough day yesterday and can't fight this 100 day challenge on my own, will definitely need your support. Please keep visiting, I'll keep you posted of how I'm going with my journey.
Suzy x
suz-free

Postby DFP » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi Suzy
I'm going well. Keep posting.
I have been on this journey for years. And it is still a day by day management effort. A few things I have learned (that work for me anyway).

- I will never be cured. I will always be susceptible to go back to the pokies. And every time I do, it doesn't end well. I cannot ever get to a state where I can play a little bit safely. Never. And that's the disease - one of impulse control.
- Therefore it becomes a question of how do I stop ever having that first bet. The most effective strategy for me is not having access to significant cash. I have accepted that I have the disease, and can't be trusted so I am OK with managing cash access.
- Over time I have grown to value money more. Without this disease, I am actually very sensible financially and respect the value of money. That is all destroyed if I start on the pokies.
- I also now value time a lot more. I enjoy rediscovering hobbies and passions. That all goes out of the window if I start on the pokies, and I then spend my time in dark venues and am reluctant to spend cash on my hobbies.
- So the key is to stay quit. Put whatever strategy you can to stay quit.
- It never ends. But that is OK, as it does get easier and it is manageable. And the rewards are massive - you get the real YOU back.

Hope this helps. Keep posting. Keep working hard.
DFP

Postby DFP » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:29 am

I have a dangerous time coming up next week, as I will be away with work. Past experience has proven that I am vulnerable to a bust - essentially because I'll have a lot of opportunity to go to a venue, and am not accountable to my family in terms of my whereabout. Already planning ahead - mainly with ensuring that I don't take my ATM card and that I will not have access to significant cash. I'm also taking books and runners to go for a jog in my spare time. But limiting access to cash is essential for me - there have been times in the past where I've said before a work trip 'I feel strong, so I can trust myself with the ATM card and I won't make any stupid decision' - and that opened the door once I was away from home for the gambling demon to play with my mind ("just put $20 in - you can be trusted ". Didn't end well.
For me, the need for planning and strategies never ends. I will always be vulnerable. But I am determined and focused on not busting next week. I'll post my progress to keep me accountable.
DFP

Postby SW1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:30 am

Stay strong DFP, I hope your week away is successful and you stay away from gambling.
SW1

Previous

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge