" "

100 day as my first goal

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: 100 day as my first goal

Postby DFP » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:44 pm

Away with work again this week - two nights this time (Tue & Wed). Preparing ahead - worked out how much cash I'll carry; loaded some emergency on a pre-paid visa (minimal amount); and the no cash access credit card as back up. So all contingencies covered WITHOUT having or having access to a lot of cash. This trip takes me back to the scene of many earlier disasters so planning is essential.
Did a 15km run today which felt fantastic. Feeling physically and mentally strong. Day 19 done. Best wishes to all - stay strong!
DFP

Postby Springhope » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Looks like you have everything prepared for the work trip. Stay strong you are nearly a quarter of the way to 100 days!

if you start thinking of going into a venue just remember how bad you have felt in the past after losing.

Stay focused and good luck.
Springhope

Postby Dependz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:06 pm

:) :D
Dependz

Postby Ceejay » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:29 am

Hi dfp
Just wanted to say I have read your story, and was impressed by your strategies and insights. I also got a lot from jimi68's thoughts. I am a newbie here, and have been struggling with pokies for 20 years. Like others, I have found things that worked for a while - self-exclusion, limiting funds, even moving to the country, but nothing stuck for life - yet. I'm not sure I can add any wisdom that hasn't already been expressed more eloquently than I could possibly do. But I am here. With you.
Ceejay

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:18 am

Hey DFP,

How are you going on your work trip?

Do you have any fun plans for your trip?

It is easier to go without gambling if you have something interesting to do. Maybe you could go to a nice restaurant or see a movie?
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby DFP » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi all. Everything going well. I did meet up with a friend for a meal which was indeed a much better use of my time and money. Back at hotel now and no desire to go back out to a gambling venue (as I have done in the past). Not having access to funds makes a big difference to my thought patterns - it's as if my subconscious is saying 'why bother with those funds' which is exactly what I want it to say!! Day 21 and feeling strong!
DFP

Postby User 586eee5282d07 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Hi dfp, you are doing great. I always found it harder to fight urges when travelling for work. These days i take a : HUGE suitcase now packed with books, knitting, dvds, ipad etc etc. Take care, sandra
User 586eee5282d07

Postby DFP » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Back from travels. All good. Day 23 today. I had a few thoughts about "I could go to the pokies now" but was able to quickly dismiss the idea. I am convinced that a key dynamic was not having access to significant funds, so my subconscious was saying "what would be the use with that tiny amount" . Stay strong everyone!
DFP

Postby Springhope17 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:02 pm

Congrats on Day 23!
So glad you remained strong throughout the work trip.
I agree with limiting access to funds, if I only have small amounts i think its not even worth it.
I am on Day 13 today.

Keep looking forward!
Springhope17

Postby DFP » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:04 pm

Ran 17km today doing a "fun run"! Quite a challenge but much more enjoyable and rewarding than a pokie marathon. Feeling good. Day 26 today. All the best wishes to all on this journey. Stay strong; stay true; do what you really enjoy; fight the demon - every day.
DFP

Previous

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge