" "

20 yo stuck with a destrucitve cycle

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

20 yo stuck with a destrucitve cycle

Postby madman1997 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Where do i begin. I will be starting the 100 day cycle to try break my current cycle. which is get my pay check normally around 700 and within the week dropping 600 of it on numerous types of gambling.

to go into more detail:
In my group of friends we have 4 people who will happily drop 1k and not think about how this could be spent a better way. some of us have had a steady bank roll before gambling so they have always been well off even after this happens (this is how bad we are). but me and one other empty our banks week by week trying to chase last weeks loses.
a bit of an example of how a week would go by.
Tues night: get payed
wed day: meet up with friends maybe chuck a $50 bet on baseball, basketball, nrl (etc), maybe use another $50 on pokies/virtual blackjack.
wed night: if i won i would be happy and would wait out till i found a bet i like on sport. if i lost i would begin the chase, would bet on whatever was on that night and/or the baseball tomorrow morning. dropping about 100-250 depending on how much i lost during the day.
thurs day: well i have either lost 500 by now on numerous bets, pokies etc trying to chase back my losses or won and put all my winnings on another bet.
fri-sun: would watch as much sport as possible and if i still somehow have money when going out with friends i would be drinking and put more money on sport and then pokies. maybe even burow money of friends for certain things.
mon day: comes round and 99% chance i have $0 in the bank account and i hate my actions over the pass week and try and tell myself to stop.
this is a rinse and repeat cycle.
so come tuesday next week this will be my first day.

this are by far my worst sort of days that i remember and will hoepfully never see again:
1 day total losses=$6500 ("was winnings")
1 week total losses= $2300

im hoping for newer and better things.
Last edited by madman1997 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madman1997

Re: 20 yo stuck with a destrucitve cycle

Postby madman1997 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:08 pm

im hoping for newer and better things.

will be aiming for $50 a week and if that doesnt work will stop completely
madman1997

Postby POPEYE » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:11 pm

Last edited by POPEYE on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POPEYE

Postby madman1997 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:35 pm

hey popeye i work at a pub so my hours are pretty much graveyard. it isnt always at venues as well. mobile phone, laptop etc. me and my mate are both trying to stop so we are hoping two people trying are better then one. cheers for the reply.

definitely agree with what your saying but me and my friends also enjoy have a small punt as much as a big one.
madman1997

Postby POPEYE » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Last edited by POPEYE on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POPEYE

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi Madman,

Do you have any other hobbies aside from gambling? do you think it would help if you did?

The online gambling can be a problem, it is so easy to access. The other problem is that as it is online, the company might not be based in Australia. Australia has strict laws around gambling, other countries not so much. So it can be hard to escape. One useful tool is online gambling blocking software. Whilst not free are usually much more cost effective than gambling. you might want to try:

http://www.betfilter.com/
or
http://www.gamblock.com

Gambling is designed to use as many psychological tricks as possible to increase addiction. This is why few people can stick with limited gambling once they have developed a problem.

Glad to see that you are getting some help so young, many people wait decades before having the courage to admit they have a problem. It will be good to see how your journey goes over the next few weeks.

Welcome to the forum.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby madman1997 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:48 pm

alright so im almost one week down and surprisingly doing quite well. i had a massive week on the drinks thurs fri sat and only spent $50 on pokies which i won the major $4k and collected not to put a single cent back and deposited it into my bank acc. i did have a hiccup today with some of that money and lost $200 on a bet on sports but after that told my self that it is dumb and to save the money. ( a rare thought).

i can say this isnt easy but hopefully my weekly updates will help others while also keep me on track. My friends have also tried settling down on the gambling but they seem to be having more issues, want to bet more often. Also saying no to going to a pub completely is a lot easier then going and saying u wont gamble.

well week 1 done and i seem to of got a positive to post about we will see if this win will play with my head.
madman1997

Postby madman1997 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:37 am

stay tune for next week
madman1997

Postby POPEYE » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:58 am

Last edited by POPEYE on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POPEYE

Postby Miette (facilitator) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi Madman,

It is great to hear the changes you have made, and hear you reflecting on the challenges you have come across.

I am wondering what it is like for others to hear of recent winnings and whether this is triggering? I know that it is not always easy to walk away, and the pokies are designed to take you money, whilst tempting you for that win.

How are others responding to this?

I am wondering how that win will impact you too Madman, let us know how you are going. And make sure you reach out for support if you need.

Best wishes,
Miette.
Miette (facilitator)

Next

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge