" "

starting the challenge today

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: starting the challenge today

Postby pamela » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:28 pm

Well done Joy..you are walking down the right path..do what ever you can to avoid playing the pokies
pamela

Postby Joy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Day 8 today. All good, staying on course .... chip chip chipping away, one day at a time.
Joy

Postby pamela » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:18 am

Good work.one day at a time is good
pamela

Postby POPEYE » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Last edited by POPEYE on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POPEYE

Postby Joy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:58 pm

Hiya Popeye,

I most certainly am on DAY 11. Yeah me :) The card is still in the freezer .... haven't even looked at it, not even checked the back of the freezer to see if it's still there! Anyway, the card is linked to savings so I can transfer money back and forth and that's the problem. The pokies are a dirty little secret. Sometimes if the kids need cash in an emergency they'll come to me. I'd like to be able to have that facility but refrain from GAMBLING any cash. Silly I know, but it seems to be working so far ...... I've frozen my assets so to speak.

I have another account that I can access and a very small amount of cash goes in from my pay every week for groceries. I now have to be very very careful with the budget ..... no more paywave for me. When the cash is gone .... it's gone.

I work in a small office (only me & the boss) and he is on the road most of the time so I don't have much workmate banter, conversations are usually via email. Also, as we are a showroom, when customers come in it is understandably all about them. Lovely people and great for a general chat but they have come to check out the product, not to socially interact with the salesperson. Most of the clubs (and there are many in the are) meet during the day when I'm at work. Poop. So it can get a little lonely.

Still, I'm on track, on a budget, employed and on DAY 11. It can only get better from here.... and I must say that when I go online on payday and transfer the bulk of my pay onto the credit card debt .... it feels good. Let's hope it still feels as good in a month or so. I find that time tends to dull off my good intentions and I'm hoping it will be different this time. Reading the posts definitely helps at this stage. It is keeping me grounded.

You take care. Stay gambling free. :) Lyn
Joy

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi Joy,

You mentioned that time tends to dull your good intentions. That is pretty common. I think that for many gamblers part of the reason for that is that gambling is how they reward themselves, when they stop they don't have any way to reward themselves. People need rewards. If they don't have a new reward they will eventually go back to the old reward.

So how can you reward yourself for going a month without gambling?
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Joy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:18 pm

Hmmmm. I hadn't even thought of that. I think you are onto something Jerry. I will give it some thought over the next couple of weeks but I think I will plan something. :) Something special. ............... cool...... Thanks for the tip. :)
Joy

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:53 pm

You are most welcome :)
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Joy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi all,

Day 17 is done & dusted. I usually check in once a day but got a weird message yesterday and couldn't log on! Got a security alert or some such nonsense. Anyway, it felt weird not logging on and reading the posts. I don't post every day but I do check in religiously. I checked my online banking account but nobody paid off the credit card for me .......... it makes you wonder who'd bother hacking into a site for gamblers eh. :)

Anyway, I've been keeping busy and sucking up the urges when they come. Slowly slowly wins the race. Garden looks great, shopping slooowwly ..... instead of a quick whiparound Aldi chucking stuff in the trolley. Even doing the price comparison thing between supermarkets (they're all in the same complex so it's not like I'm driving around or anything weird like that). I have to relearn my time management now and add extra activities. ..... hand washed the car, did some baking .... yada yada yada,

Once I get a new rhythm I should be right ........ I hope.

Good luck to all. Stay strong and gambling free :)
Joy

Postby Wits end » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:14 pm

Had the same problem yesterday. Had to keep putting in my email & password. It was really strange.
Wits end

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge