" "

Self Sabotage

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: Self Sabotage

Postby jimi68 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:32 am

sounds like your making plans and gettiing things done.
good for you!
6 days is great.
I thought the same as yyou about the bank....
in my statements last ten years they would see every payday, multiple atm withdrawls of $200
and would probably tell I was a gambler. :mad:

Great when the urge to gamble
instead of a big urge pulling us
seems more as an annoying little fly
that you can easily shoo away!!
jimi68

Postby Desperate » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:24 am

Oh wow, a tiny little annoyance that you can shoo away Jimi68 - how I yearn for that day! Yesterday I got up the street early as I intended going in to a particular shop which I discovered did not open till 10am and here I was at 9am - an hour to fill in before my appointment at hairdresser. And a venue staring at me from across the road. I resisted and forced myself to walk to the Pet Shop and buy supplies for my cat (I adopted a senior cat earlier this year). I felt so good when 10am came and I had resisted - I have never been successful at that before.

Another trigger for me was that I was very upset when I came out of the hairdressers as they had stuffed it up. My usual hairdresser had left and the new one simply did not listen when I was trying to tell her how my hair was usually done (tricky as it's very curly). Again I resisted and headed home muttering all the way.

Later, still angry and upset, I felt the urge - and not at all a small annoyance - so I had an afternoon nap. I will try anything to not go. I just keep thinking of those bank statements and what they say about me. I don't want to be seen as that person anymore!!!
Desperate

Postby jimi68 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:51 am

good stuff...
Keep it up for a week or two ,and I think just like me, hopefully you notice the urges coming less frequently and you get whole days where you didn't even think about it.
First few days were hard for me as I had urges every time I left the house to go somewhere....
Being busy ive started cleaning the family home garage and shed ,years of rubbish,dirt,and stuff all over the place
huge job clearing years of hoarded stuff we don't need ,cant stop once ive started (take a few weeks to do it all- gonna have a big hard rubbish collection)
I'm unemployed right now but am finding LIKE YOU that I am so busy no time to think......about doing stupid things.
Whats the saying "'idle hands do the devils work"'
Yeah....
Ive left the hairdresser NOY HAPPY in the past....
keep looking at my hair in the reflection in the shop windows as I walk past...
Had a perfect haircut once
Felt fantastic about myself that time
...wish I remembered who did it.........

You know good and well that with gambling theres no such thing as sneaking in for a quickie...
don't ever go into those places again..
that what I call them....
THOSE KIND OF PLACES
jimi68

Postby jimi68 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:06 am

I did a google search.
Typed in "'28 days to change a habit"'
and had a good read!!!!
jimi68

Postby pamela » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:42 am

Great job resisting those urges..each day it will get easier ..a bad hair day is still better than a bad day of gambling...keep being strong
pamela

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:12 am

Great work Desperate,

Another urge beat. It sounds like taking a nap was really helpful for overcoming that urge. Do you have some other regular strategies that help you when you feel the need to gamble?

You are doing great, keep up the good work.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Desperate » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:23 am

All I keep thinking to myself is where I was 3 years ago and how different life would be if I had overcome this problem then but I didn't so here I am. And then all I think is how I do not want to end up on the streets - and I am so close to facing that - so NO MORE, not one dollar!!! One full week down and into Week 2 GF!

Thank you for the support Jimi68, Jerry and Pamela ... and Jimi68 - Good luck with all that decluttering. I have done so much of it over the last couple of years. The sad and shameful thing is that all the money I made selling things - including my beloved motorcycle - went into THOSE PLACES and those evil munching tinmen!! So hard not to absolutely hate yourself for putting yourself in this position where I can't even do grocery shopping - all my pay goes on rent and paying back gambling debt, it's going to take years to get back on my feet :(
Desperate

Postby jimi68 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:07 am

Maybe right now you are using your shame,sadness,depression,regret,,anger and the resounding consequences of gambling
as your fuel for the fire of giving up.
and maybe thats working and getting results.
It would be nice though in the future
maybe after you have a few solid months behind you of not gambling
and you know in your spirit you have achieved something lasting..

That you can let go of condemning yourself so much and be focusing on feeling good...
You have not totally ruined your life just yet...
theres still a chance.....
and well, as the saying goes
"'when life gives you lemons- MAKE LEMONADE!!!!!!!

Oh,
and remember that its not ALL your fault.....
Yes you did decide to gamble....
But you didn't go because you wanted to do harm.
you just wanted SOMETHING GOOD to happen.....
but those people who run the industry have designed products and marketed them in such a way as to take advantage of the human
vulnerabitlites to make money...
and I'm sure they fully know what problems can happen but they deny that it does because of the almighty dollar.
Next time a pleasing tempting thought pops into your mind about pokies
switch your thought to a image of a evil looking man, smilling as he counts your money and says out loud
"'people are so ******* stupid, he...he.. thank god for that!!!!"'
"I wonder who I can get next""
DONT GIVE HIM ONE MORE CENT!!!!
jimi68

Postby Desperate » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:42 am

Hi jimi68 - Well today is 10 days and I feel fantastic about that ... I am psyching myself up to get through the weekend and am determined to never give them another dollar. Today I feel determined to get this Monkey off my back and just - however slowly - watch the debt decrease and never feed the tin monsters again!! Even though my bank accounts are debts instead of money I can use, it's still nice to watch the balance decrease on the debt side and I know it's going to be a long slow process but I can't wait till the day when I see even one dollar in credit and no loans/credit card debts!! That's my Mission. Thank you for the support :)
Desperate

Postby jimi68 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:35 pm

10 days!!!
well done
your doing so well.
all you have to do is another 10,
and then another,
and so on

This first 10 days proves

that YOU CAN DO IT!!!
jimi68