" "

Day 1 nearly done PHEW!!

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: Day 1 nearly done PHEW!!

Postby FamilyFirst » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi Free4Good,
Well done for making 5 days mate, it may sound like a small amount but they are among the worst I found.. Hang in there 'cos the only way to better your current situation is to not gamble.
I have had debt collectors chasing me for the last 10-12 years on and off. If there is one thing I've learned it's that they just want to see you make an effort to pay them. Enter into weekly payment agreements tell them your situation, offer only an amount that you could pay back comfortably. Its got to be better than having to avoid those horrible calls.
I've been GF for over 4 months now and on Friday I just made my last payment of 'old gambling debt' I managed to pay off 11k in those 4 months, I would have normally just wasted most of that, $200 here $500 there you know how it goes..
Digging yourself out can take years, decades but as long as we are not adding to our debt and gambling we are heading in the right direction.
Stay strong mate it gets easier, have a good week.
cheers, Lee
FamilyFirst

Postby Free4Good » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Definitely have to look into something else, new hobby not sure as I have a high stressful job, and needy family so I enjoyed the fact that I could just beg and zone out. I am thinking photography which incorporates getting outside but also something I can do late at night editing but once again when I get home I just want to collapse sometimes after a hard shift. Maybe a craft? But I do have to make a list of distracting activities.
Free4Good

Postby Free4Good » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Thank Family First,

Thanks for the advice it is something I need to address with the debt collectors. I just need to bite the bullet and over come my embarrassment cause I feel so bad, guilty. The thing is I made arrangements I couldn't afford and hoping each pay that I would stop gambling and start paying my debts but instead I would gamble hoping for a miracle and I could pay it all off at once but who was I kidding.

Pay day is coming I am scared I won't stand my ground it's been a stressful week. But I have to hold on to wagon I don't want to fall off :((

Cheers F4G
Free4Good

Postby Free4Good » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:21 pm

Day 6 Today has been better, better at work yet home is still stressful but I manage to talk myself out of gambling knowing I don't want to go back to that.

I am starting to worry about pay day though as my urges go out of control when I have money,

So time to put in some strategies.

Just keep swimming
Free4Good

Postby JinxyWolf » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi Free4Good,

Congrats on day 6 that's great.

Paydays can be tough day for urges. But knowing this gives you a chance to put some barriers in place to make it through without succumbing. For me it was giving my access to money over to my mother. No access to cash, no gambling. Don't get me wrong it was hard, and even though I had no money I still had the urge to gamble. Talking to a close friend or family member about your urges can give you the added support you need in these difficult times. That, I think is the key, at least it was for me, talking about how you are feeling and getting it out in the open, it helps.

Don't let the shame, embarrassment and guilt you are feeling stop you, don't let it define you and don't let it stop you.

I wish you all the best...Stay Strong..."I will not gamble today" ..

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Postby blastoise (facilitator) » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi Free4Good,

Congrats on 6 days, how did you go today? I was just reading your posts, would it be possible the stress is a trigger for gambling? Is there a way of sitting down with your family and discussing any solutions or strategies about reducing this, even a little? Also, in relation to payday, one short term way to avoid the temptation on this is to reduce/remove access to your money, even if it is for the day. 'Trigger Days' (as I like to call them) such as payday, weekend, seeing a particular friend, driving past a venue are very challenging times. Giving your bank cards to someone, leaving them at home or work for the day, or even asking someone to change your bank password are some things that people have mentioned on here in the past.

Keep up the good work, and if you feel the urge, call Gamblers Help 1800 858 858 and talk the urge out until it goes away. The more you fight it, the less stronger it will become over time.

I hope today went ok, let us know!

Cheers
Blastoise
blastoise (facilitator)

Postby Free4Good » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:10 am

Day 8?

Feeling devastated today....
Yesterday I caved in..... High stress levels ++++.
IT WAS THE FREE APP GAMES, NO MONEY LOST!
But I still feel like it was the real thing and so scared cause if I had the money, I would have gone to online sites.
Yesterday, My youngest child sick with chest infection wanted me to stay next to him all day (very clingy) that would have been ok if I didn't have a house inspection, 15yr old son with ADHD who snapped his collarbone last week, well he is bored and I catch him walking with his bike to the skate park, to ride. This kid has a high pain threshold and trying to tell him that he will do more damage is like talking to a brick wall, his older brother has been told by other kids that he has been riding. 2 days ago at his appointment the doctor was thinking of plating the break. AND to top it all off my eldest son is having arguments with his girlfriend. So he is having a breakdown. Plus my daughter tells me her neurological symptoms with her head are coming back OMFG!!!!! Now to add my own stresses such as payday tonight, I have woken with a throbbing headache again, the night before I hardly slept. My mobile phone got disconnected. The wi fi signal was dropping in and out so teenagers had dodgy internet. YES THE WORLD WAS ENDING!!!!

So today wifi is back, here I am, tail between my legs feeling copious amounts of guilt for playing free slot games, while I sat with my sick child and watch the world crumble around me.

And I can't call GH for help cause I never have time alone, our home phone is outside our bedroom, my husband would hear me if I was to call and NO I haven't told him about last week.

I feel like I am attracting all this negative drama in my life. Like I search for negatives? I am so annoyed with myself.

Lost cause and all,
😭😭 F4G
Free4Good

Postby Noah (facilitator) » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:02 pm

HI Free4Good,
I posted you a response on another thread but sounds like email support could be a good option for you instead of the helpline if you would like that extra support. I've posted the link to online counselling in case it's something you'd like to access. https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/p ... er/update/
Take care and keep in touch!
Noah
Noah (facilitator)

Postby JinxyWolf » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi Free4Good,

Congrats on reaching day 8, that is a fantastic effort, even more so given the fact you have been under so much stress.
Celebrate that achievement because that's what it is. I understand that all you are seeing at the moment is the negatives, I think you need to start focusing on your successes, being 8 days gamble free is a success, so celebrate that.

It sounds like you carry a lot of guilt, I think you are way to hard on yourself. You are only human (a supermum by the sounds of it :D ) but human all the same, you can only do so much. So you played some free slots, it didn't result in you going online and gambling with real money, so no harm done really was there? We all need me time, and I think that although you have a lot on your plate this is something you need to work into your day, whether that's simply going for a walk or sitting in a quite place reading a book even if it's just for 10 minutes or so.

I agree with Noah that perhaps email councelling would be a great fit for you, I used it myself and it was a great help part of the reason I'm still gamble free.

You know, we all stumble and maybe even fall during our journey's to become Gamble Free, but that doesn't mean we failed. We only really fail if we quit trying. This journey is filled with highs and lows but we ride the waves and eventually things get calmer and calmer. There is light at then end of this tunnel, just keep moving forward, one day at a time and you will reach it.

I've been following your other thread as well so forgive me if I'm repeating myself.. :)

Stay Strong and we're always here if you need us..

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Postby Free4Good » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:56 am

Hey guys thanks so much for your support but I have let myself down and those who have been supporting me. I tried to fight the urges by going out for dinner with the family, but when we were out only arguments and my son having an anxiety attack so we quickly ate and left.

Yesterday I gambled lost $430. I didn't reach out for support I feel empty, I was looking for comfort, I was so down. 10 year wedding anniversary, nothing special it was overtaken by drama and my adult children. I had worked myself up from the day before, found excuses to justify why and talked myself into it.

This addiction sucks, life sucks and I suck for being so weak. I have no strength to fight this battle....
Free4Good

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge