" "

POPEYE'S CHALLENGE

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

POPEYE'S CHALLENGE

Postby POPEYE » Mon May 01, 2017 8:26 am

Last edited by POPEYE on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POPEYE

Re: POPEYE'S CHALLENGE

Postby Dave68 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:22 am

You can do this Popeye. But it's a battle between trying to convince your brain that despite the excitement, thrills and indeed the chance of getting a big win, which are such intoxicants for a gambler....the end result is that at some stage we're left with nothing, nothing but regrets and emptiness as we think about what could have been and what now is.

I did a lot of my retraining of my brain by actually talking to myself when i did my deliveries....it helped that my radio stopped working and i couldn't afford another one. THus with nothing else to listen to, i kind of became my own counselor! But so often i'd tell myself...why go in..why throw away hundreds of dollars when i get up at 3am to earn this money. Why do i allow those bloody ,machines to take my money. Why keep playing them when i've never got the five wilds on a payline in millions of spin events.

And why when i've worked all my life for over 25 years have i got nothing but debt? Gambling did that...Gambling is the reason, and stopping gambling is the only way i can think of to start to undo this. Even now, three years not gambling pales into insignificance after 28 years OF gambling..i'l never get that back. I have to accept that as hard as it is to do it. And even now, i still have mini flashbacks to those trips to Crown as a 30 y/o....pure excitement and anticipation, but alas too often i just lost my money. I can't do that anymore now, i just cannot go back to that time of my life.

You have to hate what gambling has done to you, hate the losses more than love the thrills and excitement. You can do it, but you may need to constantly tell yourself this to drum it into you. All i can say is that it did work for me.
Last edited by Dave68 on Mon May 01, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave68

Postby pamela » Mon May 01, 2017 9:57 am

Hey Popeye..you can do it..as Dave says..train your brain to remember the pain and losses and try not to think about the thrill because that is short lived.Stay strong and focused and you will succeed
pamela

Postby Charlotte (facilitator) » Mon May 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi Popeye,

welcome back. Gambling is a relapsing problem, so remember that if you've stopped before, you can do so again. The most important thing is to learn something from the setbacks we have and turn them into something positive.

Keep on keeping on :)

Charlotte
Charlotte (facilitator)

Postby POPEYE » Mon May 01, 2017 9:57 pm

Last edited by POPEYE on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POPEYE

Postby JinxyWolf » Mon May 01, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi PopEye. Glad to see you back. I understand where you are coming from. I too am in a reasonable financial situation. I mean I have a mortgage and other bills but I am not in any other sort of debt like credit cards etc. I have a full time job that is permanent as I work in a family business. But I must say, if I had waited any longer to get help my situation could have easily spiraled right out of control. What am I saying it had already begun to happen. Every cent of my paycheck with exception to my mortgage payment went into the pokies I would skip meals because I had no money. I was paying extra on my mortgage, I had $4000 extra paid off my home loan and I redrew it all and wasted it on the pokies. Thinking of it now it makes me sick.

I found that when you know you have money that is when the urges are at their highest, they become harder to resist because you have money to spare. I found that having a goal, something you want but need to save for. Example, I want new golf clubs so when a urge hits, I just think of those clubs and how much I want them. It helps. So plan a holiday or a new car or something you really want. Work towards it. Even if you eventually don't buy it you will have the money you saved.

I also got great advice from my Email councellor, it's called the "S.T.O.P" Technique and its brilliant

STOP
What you are doing
• Stop walking • Stop talking • Stop worrying • Take a break

TAKE A BREATH
•Take some slow breaths •Focus your attention on the experience of breathing •Feel your breath IN through nose. And OUT through your mouth
•Keep breathing

OBSERVE.
•The sensations in your body, what are you feeling • What thoughts or emotions are you experiencing?
•Can you notice tension or tightness or a clenched jaw •Notice as much as you can
• Expand your awareness to the rest of your body, the environment you are in and the overall situation

PROCEED
• Mindfully. Instead of reacting without thought, make a choice about how to respond to your urge
• Proceed with something that will support you in the moment

Sorry bout the long winded post but I hope it helps.

Stay strong we are all here to support you and are wishing you all the best.....

JinxyWolf.
Last edited by JinxyWolf on Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JinxyWolf

Postby Dave68 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:09 am

Good advice too there Jinxywolf. There's probably no one clear cut right or wrong way that may work or otherwise, as many of us may have gambled for different reasons, different pressures, all sorts of things. I'm single, always have been so the aspect of costing my family was never really a thing with me, but it took a long time of trying to convince my brain that the work i've always done deserves a better outcome that just shoving my earnings down the chute of a pokie.

I gambled for 28 years, and to be honest hardly at any stage until relatively late in my gambling 'career' did i even consider that i had a problem. Even with well over $50K in credit card debts....i had my mortgage at that stage in 2011 and thought, that's O.K, the house will go up in value, i'm good.

I was then offered a line of credit by Westpac to pay out two credit cards i had with them, at a lower interest rate. That's good eh? Well, to me sadly that proved to be just a licence to lose more money. I paid out the cards, i kept them open, and yep, lo and behold within about 20-22 months all i had to show for things was now that $19K line of credit debt AND the two credit cards which had been maxed out to that stage. It was at about the time i got that line of credit that i discovered the perils of online pokies and even though initially i broke even (which i did keep record of) in my first year playing them, soon enough they began to lose just as much as terrestrial machines.

Then i had a car crash on Queens Birthday weekend 2013, where i ran up the back of an elderly driver in an old Corolla. I still shudder at the thought of what could have been, as seeing her needing to be cut out of the car was ghastly, i was so worried about her welfare. And to top it all off, the car i drove was my second car..which was uninsured.

Thankfully after sending a letter of apology to the lady she rang me and said she was O.K, which was a great load off my mind. But i then owed $2900 to the insurance company to replace her car. Now when i think of this, geez....i could have hit a new car, or a Merc or something and pretty much bankrupted myself. How stupid was i to put myself into this position! It was this point i took stock of my situation. Income was good, but debts....terrible. Mortgage was about $1300 a month, but the rest of the cards, all maxed out were even more than that a month. I was actually living a situation with more going out than coming in. Luckily i was able to get a loan with a friendly society i was a member of to pay that $2900 off, which is now paid out.

But that was my rock bottom....after at that stage 27 years of gambling. And even though i saw how bad i was going, it still took several months more to stop. That's my whole point Popeye, sometimes the perils of our gambling don't hit you for so long, and even now i cannot fathom how it took that long for me to see it was a problem. Thankfully now after three years, some capital growth (yay) in my suburb and what then became a cleaner credit history with no missed payments, i got a refinance that has improved my circumstances immeasurably.

So motivations are different for many people, but you at least have come to realise gambling puts you in a place you'd rather not be...perhaps that's a place where your rational brain is replaced by the gambling bug in your head which knows no boundaries and has no conscience. Just keep banging into your rational self that the alternative (gambling) is just no good.

Just in passing, i still play the pokie app on facebook....and i had three million tokens worth playing 12K a spin. And, lo and behold maybe 15-20 minutes later, i had run out of tokens!! More evidence for me, if i can't even win on the pretend pokies, i sure as hell won't on the real ones!
Dave68

Postby POPEYE » Wed May 03, 2017 8:43 am

POPEYE

Postby POPEYE » Wed May 03, 2017 8:56 am

Last edited by POPEYE on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POPEYE

Postby POPEYE » Wed May 03, 2017 8:59 am

POPEYE

Next

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge