" "

This time it feels like I really can do this

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: This time it feels like I really can do this

Postby pamela » Thu May 25, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi Debra well done on the new bed..a sense of achievement for sure.those debts will go eventually but we arent adding to them and thats the most important thing..
pamela

Postby Kim » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:31 am

Hi all. Been a long time since I last posted. The usual reasons..busy relapsing. Back on the wagon again. I last gambled last Thursday. I want to start a fresh slate and am reading all I can to get myself back on track. I watched a video on ABC iview and feel compelled to share. Please access it and just search for the word gambling and it should come up with a show called you can't ask that on ABC and they did one show on gambling. I completely related to every person interviewed on it. Had a cry watching it..it really hits you at your core for an addicted gambler. found it to be as helpful as kaching pokie nation in its own different way. I have been reading the forum and keeping up with what's happening and feel that even though I've been relapsing it had helped just to keep reading anyway. The strange thing is that since I last posted in May I had done another 31 days gamble free whilst not posting so I guess I'm not a completely lost cause...but it can be so much better because my aim is to be completely free of pokies. I still have confidence I can do it.
Kim

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi Kim,

I think you are doing great. Lapses happen, and when they happen to you you get right back to quitting. That is the attitude of someone that is starting to take control of their gambling.

Learn from your lapse. Have a think about the situation that lead to your lapse and think about what sort of strategies would help you get through a similar situation in the future.

Each lapse is a learning opportunity.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Hopeful_2017 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:08 pm

You have really inspired me, I've only just come across this forum and for me today is day 1 but your story above really resonates.
Similar situation with the stop starting, previous counselling and feeling like just a dabble won't hurt.
Hopeful_2017

Postby Kim » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks Jerry..it's good to get the vote of confidence from you. It is particularly meaningful to get that support because each time I post to say that I am still struggling its as though the insecurity is present feeling like I've let people down..some sort of shame around it. It's hard to express but I tend to keep away while I'm lapsing and I know I probably would be better off posting not just when I'm succeeding but I just find it so hard to. Plus another reason I dont post and I have come to realise this gradually ..the issue is I think oh I can get away with the occasional gambling and i think i dont want to be given advice because i get in that stupid mindset thinking i can have a dabble and I don't want anything to stop that..bad urge obviously. It always turns out badly..big surprise!! lol...but the thing is i know its a silly way to think because reading other posts plenty do fess up while they are lapsing and there is no judgment..only help offered. And really i guess the fact I'm afraid that just posting my lapses is so bad it might show that i would listen to advice so i should at least give it a chance and just fess up anyway. This is something for me to work on but I really hope that I can stay gamble free now and stop torturing myself. Haven't gambled since last Thursday now. Feeling ok right now. I do have accessible money ...I'm off work this week. Been occupying myself by having a huge clean up at home. So it's good to see a nice clean house at the end of the week. Before all I would have done is see the week off as an opportunity to visit venues with the extra time away from work.
Hi Hopeful..thanks for what you said..I would love to think I have inspired you..it has been a long hard journey but I do feel that my gambling behaviour has changed remarkably in the part couple of years. I can only put that down to the support that is available such as this forum..free gambling assistance..Self exclusion is the biggest help for me. Being away from work this week I would have to make an effort to gamble because of my self exclusion at clubs and pubs close to home. I'd have to drive somewhere 20 kms or more away. It's great having that safety net of self exclusion.
I wish you well on your journey Hopeful.. we can give up.just have to keep at it.each time a lapse occurs and come back with renewed energy..that's the way I look at it now. Take care and hope you're doing ok with your challenge.
Kim

Postby Debra » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:13 pm

Hey Kim.
Sorry I haven't been on the forum for so long, although you've been in my thoughts, I just wanted to check in and see how you're doing? I hope life has been treating you well.
I've been dealing with a bit of crappy stuff from my past over the last few months and been having therapy, but am happy to say I'm still pokie free, I think my gambling stopped me from facing what I should have dealt with a lonnnnnnng time ago.
Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and see how you've been xxx
Debra

Previous

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge