" "

100 day challenge.

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

100 day challenge.

Postby Moon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:57 am

I desperately need to take this starting today Feb 16. Is there a page with helping points?
Moon

Re: 100 day challenge.

Postby Debra » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:37 am

Hi moon and welcome.
Reading other people's stories on the forum really helps.
Keep posting, it really helps speaking to other people who get it and are going through the same addiction as you. There's no judgement on here.
There's phone counselling too.
Stay strong
Deb
Debra

Re: 100 day challenge. Day two.

Postby Moon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Home from work day 2. Danger time for me. I usually whack on quaddi for races today and tonight....today has been tough....I'm 122 kilo and 45 yrs old.....I'm going to shed to use treadmill to get mind off things....before I get kids from after school care.. .I'm taking the "I'm not betting today approach" one day at a time.....thanks for support.
Moon

Postby blastoise (facilitator) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi Moon,

Welcome to the GH Forum! Please feel free to share your story and experience if you feel it will help you through this journey to stop gambling. Everyone on here is supportive and comes from a different perspective of gambler, former gambling, affected others or facilitators, so feel free to ask anything you need. I also encourage you to look at others experiences if you have a chance.

Good luck with Day 2, keep us posted and remember to take one day at a time.

Regards

Blastoise
blastoise (facilitator)

Postby Debra » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:16 am

That's the right approach.
Just one day at a time.
It really does get easier, especially when you see how happy your family are because you're not gambling, it makes you want to continue with not screwing up.
Trust starts to come back. Some days are still hard and I'm nearly a year gamble free, but I use the mindset of, I'm picking my happiness over gambling, I'm choosing me.
Good luck!
I know you can do this.
Debra

Postby annnie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:35 am

Hi,

Well done for choosing to make changes for the better, the treadmill would be a great substitute for gambling , every time the urge comes start treading.! soon it will become the habit and as the brain gets retrained the urge will be to get on the treadmill and walk. Sounds like a good plan.
There is a period of adjustment, it can be tough as positive thoughts go into battle with the negative and the body reacts physically. Take each day at a time and focus on it being gamble free, one day can turn into 365. We are all fighting an addiction that can be beaten. I cannot believe that I am saying no to the urges with confidence, never thought I would or could get to this point. Now I am off to finish someone's garden I have been working on over the past 2 weeks , usually sore the next day, but I'd rather that pain than from gambling.

Take care & keep posting
annnie

Postby Moon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:39 am

Thanks heaps for the positive Re inforcement! Yesterday was day 3...a sat ...by far the toughest day so far...but I did it.....even had a mates horse running around but I didn't bet on it. Had friends over for my B-Day..(46 Monday). Had quite a few drinks and spent day dancing/playing with my children and my 2 god daughters. Turned telly over to watch the group 1 race and felt mixed emotions and had that good vs bad battle in my head...I didn't bet yesterday! I'm not going to bet today! Once again thanks everyone for the support and we'll wishes and good luck on your own journeys!!!
Moon

Postby pamela » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:55 am

well done Moon..thats how you have to think to kick this habit..YOU have to be the boss and keep saying no and you proved yesterday that you can have fun without gambling..happy birthday for tomorrow and the best present you can get is to be gamble free..good luck
pamela

Postby blastoise (facilitator) » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Happy birthday Moon!

Hope you managed ok over the weekend, breaking those weekends is often one of the biggest barriers, so well done on find alternatives to going out when you feel urges. keep us posted!

Blastoise
blastoise (facilitator)

Postby Moon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:43 am

Day six today! Thanks very much for the B-Day wishes!!!! Kept extremely busy over weekend so the urge to bet hardly came up....it did....but only fleetingly........I'm not going to bet today......the urge to bet has came already...I've kept it at bay......I hope to continue to do so....my best mates horse runs in a group one at caulfield this Saturday....he spoke to me yesterday and told me early odds....I didn't have courage to tell him I'm off the punt...I know he would support me....that will come I'm sure????? I'm not going to bet today! Good luck to everyone else on their own journey's. Thanks for supporting mine
Moon

Next

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge