" "

My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >.<")

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: My 100-Day challenge-Quitting Sports Betting (so hard! >

Postby chilaxis » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:02 am

Day-1. Right after dinner, looked at soccer results and AFL fixtures. But realized the trigger was coming and so shut down my mobile to go take a shower. Came out without the urge. Instead spent time with wife and kids.

Jo-Anne wrote:Hi again Chilaxis......I don't know what to say! Actually you have said all you need to hear at the moment. It is a struggle I know, it doesn't matter whether you are at Day 1 or Day 135. We all face this battle together. It just gets a little easier each day that we do not bet., despite the setbacks along the way. I know you will make it!!

Thanks Jo, God willing I will go further this time, I feel I've got a stronger resolve to not turn back to gambling this time compared to before my relapse.
chilaxis

Postby chilaxis » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:40 am

Went through Day - 2 yesterday gamble free. More significantly, went through the weekend where sports is on in spades without putting on any bets.

It was a good day, went to church, brought my boy out to play soccer, helped children with their homework, watched a movie with my family,

Went through my first Arsenal game without putting on a bet in a long while.

This morning however, woke up with a heavy chest, The thought of the money lost weighing down on me. The guilt. But at least I did not do any further damage to my family's finances these past two days, and there's hope of never doing any more damage in the future.

I'm going to try and pray and meditate now to get this heavy feeling off my chest.
chilaxis

Postby Jo-Anne » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:32 am

Hi Chilaxis......lovely to hear about your family time yesterday!! With some sport thrown in as well and no betting! Good for you!! Stay strong!!. Jo
Jo-Anne

Postby SickOfThePunt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:33 am

Hi Chilaxis,
I’m new here, but boy oh boy there are so many similarities in yours and my stories.

Today is my day one.

Weekend was a bender, stressing and anxious about money today, such a terrible feeling, and a worse feeling is the secrets and lies held from those I love the most .
I’m hoping that your story will inspire me to give up also. I feel very determined to give it all up (partly because I had a massive weekend of betting yet again) and feel terrible today- but I know I’ll struggle this weekend - damn all those Ladbroke adds 😫😫
I love the thrill of betting, horses , dogs and harness, they are my forte, and I don’t stop until my money’s gone . (Mine and my husbands that is 😪😪)
I’m thankful for this group, I have to keep telling myself that today I will not bet. I get paid tomorrow , so tomorrow night will be my first test - I have to remember that Gawler, Albion Park, Wentworth Park will all still race without me. I really need to pull my life together- or I’m afraid I will lose it all.
Anyway, here’s to today gamble free, and let’s say the same thing tomorrow. 🍻
SickOfThePunt

Postby chilaxis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:49 am

Jo-Anne wrote:Hi Chilaxis......lovely to hear about your family time yesterday!! With some sport thrown in as well and no betting! Good for you!! Stay strong!!. Jo

Thanks Jo - trying my best, a day at a time..
chilaxis

Postby chilaxis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:13 am

SickOfThePunt wrote:Hi Chilaxis,
I’m new here, but boy oh boy there are so many similarities in yours and my stories.

Today is my day one.

Weekend was a bender, stressing and anxious about money today, such a terrible feeling, and a worse feeling is the secrets and lies held from those I love the most .
I’m hoping that your story will inspire me to give up also. I feel very determined to give it all up (partly because I had a massive weekend of betting yet again) and feel terrible today- but I know I’ll struggle this weekend - damn all those Ladbroke adds 😫😫
I love the thrill of betting, horses , dogs and harness, they are my forte, and I don’t stop until my money’s gone . (Mine and my husbands that is 😪😪)
I’m thankful for this group, I have to keep telling myself that today I will not bet. I get paid tomorrow , so tomorrow night will be my first test - I have to remember that Gawler, Albion Park, Wentworth Park will all still race without me. I really need to pull my life together- or I’m afraid I will lose it all.
Anyway, here’s to today gamble free, and let’s say the same thing tomorrow. 🍻

Hey SickOfThePunt, yes I've read your experience and I think we're going through the same thing too. I could especially resonate with this part : " such a terrible feeling, and a worse feeling is the secrets and lies held from those I love the most . " - as this weighs down on my everyday as well. I can't bring myself to tell my wife the hole I've dug as she's got a history of depression. Because of this, I've not confided in any friends or relatives of my issue, and I have decided to battle this myself. I'm just glad there's an outlet on this forum as well as my gambling counselor to communicate my thoughts and feelings on my road to recovery. I wish you all the best in your road to recovery too! Well done on staying 1 day GF, I'm sure we can do it
by taking it a day at a time 🍻.
chilaxis

Postby chilaxis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:27 am

Day-3 GF now.

The urges still come - just have to continue fending them off. Just came off livescore.com and saw West Ham vs. Stoke. but am training my mind to fend off the urge to gamble. When seeing the odds, to not see the potential winnings, but to immediately see the potential loss and remembering the pain that it causes. Remembering that over the long-run, it will be digging a bigger hole in my finances. Each gamble I take is basically risking losing my wife and kids.

Then I stop thinking about the gamble.

I remind myself to focus on working hard and build up wealth slowly but surely - that's the only way to ensure a good future for my wife and kids.
chilaxis

Postby SickOfThePunt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:06 am

Oh how I wish I’d never got this deep.... the weekends absolutely smash me , so many race meetings on , I find myself hiding with my phone to check results and see if my horses would’ve won had I put a bet on. What a vicious cycle. I try to stay busy, I try and stay distracted, but it’s so damn easy to slip! It’s so accessible too, all I need to do is open the app and press the Deposit button and viola - there’s $1000 for betting!
I’d hate to think how much I’ve spent, how much I’ve lied and how many hours I have chosen to spend doing this over spending that time with my family.

I have now blocked all gambling apps on my iPhone, have deleted them as well. . And closed the accounts. Funny I always seemed to be able to find a new provider to open a brand new account and there I was again, slipping back into the darkness that controlled my life.
Day 2 for me today. I feel positive yet skeptical. I’ve been here before, and have always failed , I’m going to cook . I want the distraction and my husband always loved my cooking.

Good luck for another day of willpower!
SickOfThePunt

Postby chilaxis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:43 pm

SickOfThePunt wrote:Oh how I wish I’d never got this deep.... the weekends absolutely smash me , so many race meetings on , I find myself hiding with my phone to check results and see if my horses would’ve won had I put a bet on. What a vicious cycle. I try to stay busy, I try and stay distracted, but it’s so damn easy to slip! It’s so accessible too, all I need to do is open the app and press the Deposit button and viola - there’s $1000 for betting!
I’d hate to think how much I’ve spent, how much I’ve lied and how many hours I have chosen to spend doing this over spending that time with my family.

I have now blocked all gambling apps on my iPhone, have deleted them as well. . And closed the accounts. Funny I always seemed to be able to find a new provider to open a brand new account and there I was again, slipping back into the darkness that controlled my life.
Day 2 for me today. I feel positive yet skeptical. I’ve been here before, and have always failed , I’m going to cook . I want the distraction and my husband always loved my cooking.

Good luck for another day of willpower!

Good on you for blocking all gambling apps on my iPhone SickOfThePunt! It will be a deterrent to gambling.

I think I face the same problem as you, in that when the risk-junkie me took over my body, even though I've blocked/self-excluded myself from a site, I'll always find my way back to another provider.

I've been trying to tackle the root cause, i.e. convincing myself of a very good reason not to gamble. One way is to convince the risk-junkie me that with each bet I take while watching football, it will cost $240 a game, this is evidenced by me placing 92 sports bets and losing 92 x $240 = $22,100. Why not watch the sport for FREE instead and save money for my wife and my kids' ?

One other experience I can share is, last week my strategy when my risk-junkie self tells me "you have to win back that lost $22k asap", last week my thought response to this 'challenge' was :- "I'll work hard to save up $50m in wealth then put 2% of my wealth, i.e. $1m stake in ONE last safe 1.03 bet to win back my $30k!" - but that didn't help as (1) $50m is virtually beyond my reach within my lifetime (2) It made me think that low risk bets were invincible. So eventually I fell into the trap when the urge came, I placed my ONE last safe bet prematurely with a $2.5k stake on Adelaide to beat Collingwood - fat good it did me as the $2.5k was sucked from me within just a few hours of football!

Now when the same "Win back your money asap" challenge comes from my risk-junkie self, I've changed my counter-thought to :- "No betting. I'll save up $1m in wealth then put $1m into term deposit for 1 year at 3% to win back my $30k!" - I think this motivates me much better to stay away from gambling as (1) $1m..although difficult, is within reach within my lifetime [gotta work hard though!] ; and (2) it takes my mind away from gambling and try to build wealth slowly; and (3) no chance of a sports upset :)

Day-4 GF -- one day at a time.
chilaxis

Postby chilaxis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:29 am

Past Day-5 gambling free. Working hard at work to claw back every cent I lost through gambling. No turning back.
chilaxis

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge