" "

starting the challenge today

The 100 Day Challenge is a program where you set your goals - reduce your gambling or stop gambling altogether, it's up to you. Log onto the 100 Day Challenge website to follow the real stories of four Australians trying to give up gambling for inspiration and get the tools and support you need to find the real you. Click here to sign up, and post about your own challenge here on the Gambling Help Online Community Forum!

Re: starting the challenge today

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:22 pm

Didn't bank the $150, worked in a club today and spent it on keno throughout the day.
I didn't get a reload though and didn't think about chasing it.
Start 100 day challenge again tomoz, and start the habit of doing my circuit breakers when I get the urge.
I will beat my record of 7 days, then keep going until I get to 100.
Tony

Postby DFP » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:39 am

Hi Tony
I think it is great that you are being honest about your difficulties with staying quit. As you said in an earlier post being honest with yourself is a key part of facing up to the reality of this disease. Two thoughts that I have from reading your posts:
- are you honest and accountable to your family? Have you told them about your desire to quit and stay quit? Perhaps they could add to your daily support and sense of accountability so that you are able to say to yourself 'don't do it today, as I don't want to lie and let them down'?
- have you put sufficient barriers in place to limit your access to cash? Your family can help you here too, if you bring them in to your challenge.
DFP
DFP

Postby Tony » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 pm

Good points DFP, got the wife helping me out.
Day 2 no gamble. I will beat 7 days gf
Tony

Postby Tony » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Day 3 kept busy, no cash, thought about cb when I got urges. Bought some things today and worried about spending $100. Slapped myself and bought my son a cool bday present and my eldest daughter a present for being a good girl. I have gambled $1000 in one sitting several times and I was worried about $130. Funny disease gambling.
Tony

Postby Tony » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Day 4 gf. Kept busy, thought about gamble but didn't bust. No access to cash, no time to go to a branch to get out cash from teller😏 Day 5 and 6 will be no problem.
I will be with the fam, got plenty things to do, and banks are not open. Wow this disease is nasty, as I was typing i thought "hey wait I sec, Miranda bank is open" no no no as gus would say.
Monday day 7 no problem, I rarely gambled mondays"no win Monday"
Tuesday problem me thinks.
Tony

Postby Tony » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Day 5,6 gf thought about gamble, had time and access to money. I did some of my cb activities and visualised going into a venue and winning on the pokies and keno. Then putting what I won back in, like I always do and have done, so I didn't go.
Then I thought this will probably be the day I win the big one. Should I go and gamble.
Then I realised I always think those same thoughts, then I play pokies which pay bugger all even if I was to win the mystical magical jackpot.
Or play 4 and 5 number keno that pays $120 and $640 respectively.
I have won those amounts many times and still finish $600 down for the week.
If I don't gamble I am ahead even if I have a win.
Wish me strength going into day 7. I will stay busy, do my jobs, and either finish at 1500 and do ALS down lights or go th our other property and continue renovating.
Tony

Postby DFP » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Congratulations on day 5&6. Keep thinking rationally to get through day 7. Even if you had a win, you'd end up putting it back (and more). So you never win money - even a win only gives you more time at the venue. You win time, not money - and time's free!!! Well done and stay strong.
DFP

Postby Tony » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Busted today. Didn't review my cb, tried a new keno combo. It came up 2 games after I stopped playing lol I'm not even angry or surprised, this happens a lot more times then it should ( just like machined keno is rigged)but if I replayed 2 things happen, the numbers don't come up, or like today they do and I simply have more money and time to waste.
I was going to replay, then thought no I always do that, let's leave while I still have $40 left from the $200 I withdrew. I was bored and thought I simply miss the excitement of gambling. But once I lost same feeling of anger. However I didn't play any poker machines and I have no interest in chasing that money.
Start at day 1 tomoz. I have made great progress going from averaging $700 every week to $200. But in need to be clear with myself I DONY WONT TO GAMBLE AT ALL
Tony

Postby Tony » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:23 am

Gambled $15 on keno on Tuesday and $50 on keno Tuesday. Won $100 and didn't play again that day.
Small steps, I'm using all my will power to only play keno. I realise it's not gf, but I will get there.
I used to drink 4 schooners most days, I haven't had any for 7 weeks.
Tony

Postby DFP » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi Tony. Sounds like you are making progress, and getting much more aware of gambling urges etc. I think it is great that you are honest about your progress - being honest with yourself and others is an important part of change I think.
DFP

PreviousNext

Return to Take the 100 Day Challenge