" "

Reviewing the forum

Reviewing the forum

Postby Miette (facilitator) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Hello forum community!

We are in the process of reviewing the forum and we are very interested in your thoughts - and would value your feedback!
- What do you feel would be beneficial on the forum?
- What have you found has been helpful?
- What sort of input would you like to see from moderators?

Any input and feedback would be very much appreciated!

Hope you are all well, and have a wonderful weekend.

On behalf of GH.
Miette (facilitator)

Re: Reviewing the forum

Postby Jo-Anne » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi Miette.....Thank you so much for your input to the forum today....I am feeling so positive about the direction of the forum in such capable hands....I will get my thoughts together over the weekend and post same......Have a great weekend Jo
Jo-Anne

Postby pamela » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:20 am

Hi Miette..I would like more input from mediators especially for new "family"members when they enquire about professional services.we are all very supportive of each other here but sometimes need professional guidance
pamela

Postby Jo-Anne » Sun May 01, 2016 11:14 am

Hi Miette....I have read all your posts from Friday. These have helped me think deeply about the reasons I gamble. I have hit a bit of a low point....depression wise so now is the time that I know I must work hard so I don't relapse. I have had a couple of bad nights but because I am thinking about these causes for gambling more, I have not actually felt the need to gamble. My brain is probably engaged more in this type of activity rather than trying to run away from it all and use gambling as a coping strategy.

I think if the facilitators could target their responses at the stage the member is at, this would be really helpful. I think you would know what I mean....the newer members in early days....supportive but not too challenging as this could increase anxiety. For those who you think would cope, start increasing the thought provoking questions and so forth

I have noticed that some members are starting the 100 Day Challenge again when they have finished the first one and even second one. I'm not planning to do that as I am finding enough for me to do on the forum......however is there something that could be added to encourage people to check in here instead of repeating? It of course would be perfectly up to them whether they do that, as they may still wish to have their private diary and check in. It depends on what the member wants though, some may find the forum better, and some may find the challenge keeps them more focused. For me having targeted support and encouragement would be more beneficial than the standard weekly e-mails that may not necessarily fit my present circumstances.

Last night I discovered the Beyond Blue Forum. I found the support there amazing....even though I didn't sign up. Maybe we could get some additional ideas from there and tailor them to fit our purpose. I have never been involved in any online forums prior to this one so am quite new to it all.

I think the forum is very good and would be even better with the targeted facilitator support already spoken about and the friends and family support as Pamela has also mentioned.

Added!
I understand that people may be receiving other professional support as well so am mindful of that. I see my psychologist in the school holidays only as that is when I am in the city. I do contact her by e-mail as well if I'm finding it a bit tough and also send good news occasionally. I thought that this would need to be taken into account when offering professional assistance, so it does not become too overwhelming.
Jo-Anne

Postby Suzy1 » Sun May 01, 2016 11:54 am

The forum has been great in helping me stop playing pokies. I would like if I can stay logged in because then I'd respond more to others posts. Also more feedback from facilitators would be good but also it might be good to have recovered addicts to support people too. Although the facilitator may be it sometimes feels they are somewhat detached from the problem. Also when I shared a hypnotherapist link it was removed and I understand that's to prevent advertising but surely if it's a tested manner with gamblers having positive results then it's helpful to include it? I can see the potential for people to advertise so it would need to be checked. Thank you
Suzy1

Postby Ben » Sun May 01, 2016 2:09 pm

Hello Miette,

Being a new member here I don't know what I want or what to expect. I guess the constant encouragement to continue the good work and the check-in daily/every few days is a great idea.

As I'm an active social media user, I think I'll find forums a lot more helpful than face to face or phone interaction. Your post on my thread helped a little as you asked some targeted questions to help me explain a little more of my background and story. :)
Ben

Postby pamela » Sun May 01, 2016 10:59 pm

I am one of the people who is redoing the 100 day challenge as I find I like counting the days but I would like it if once the first100 day challenge was completed you could keep going and the days become accumulative..I dont know about anyone else but I think it would be good if we could have open chat forums where we could go and chat in real time at the same time instead of posting and then waiting for a response..I understand this would be difficult but if it was on a set day/time you could make the time to go and chat..just a suggestion
pamela

Postby Jo-Anne » Sun May 01, 2016 11:06 pm

Great ideas Pamela....I would like the online chat and would check in with the Challenge if we could go past 100 days...:)
Jo-Anne

Postby Charlotte (facilitator) » Tue May 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Hello all,

Thank you for your feedback so far, it is very helpful to hear about what your experience of the forum is like and what you'd like to see. I think people have contributed some really great questions.... Regarding the 100 day challenge continuing, I can certainly see the value in being able to see the days clock over beyond 100 days rather than having to start again. It could be really encouraging to see the days tick over into 120, 230 etc etc. With regards to open online chat forums, I think this is also a great idea - it could be so beneficial having that real time contact and not having to wait for responses. These suggestions are both intertwined with IT capacity, so it would be a question of working out whether we have the facility to implement these things. I will refer this to our manager.

With regards to the link for the hypnotherapist Suzy1 - I do understand where you're coming from, but we do tend to have blanket protocol around advertising per se. If there's a link for a service that you think someone would benefit from, perhaps you can private message those people?

Beyond Blue is indeed as fantastic service, as is SANE. We are already in the process of looking at other forums and working out ways we can enhance this forum borrowing ideas from other forums. Jo-Anne, do you have any specific aspects of Beyond Blue you can comment on?

Pamela, thanks for the feedback about family members needing professional support; I agree because gambling has a huge impact on family and loved ones. We endeavour to respond in a way that meets peoples' needs, so this will be something for us to enhance.

Please keep the feedback coming and we will collate it and refer to management about suggestions requiring IT changes.

All the best,
Charlotte
Charlotte (facilitator)

Return to Feedback on Services