" "

how long are online counsellors trained for: i was spoken down too like i dont know what!??

how long are online counsellors trained for: i was spoken down too like i dont know what!??

Postby tammy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:39 pm

How long?
tammy

RE: how long are online counsellors trained for: i was spoken down too like i dont know what!??

Postby tammy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:42 pm

for a first session pretty disapointed and downhearted
tammy

RE: how long are online counsellors trained for: i was spoken down too like i dont know what!??

Postby BriM » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:06 am

Hi Tammy,

I’m so sorry you didn’t find your first online session helpful! Please don’t let this be a disincentive for you to keep in contact with us. You’ve taken the first step with your gambling now, which can be very daunting, so congrats. To your question, whilst our counsellors are all highly trained and qualified, I do agree that it can sometimes be a bit difficult to communicate during online sessions because you can’t read someone’s tone of voice like you can on the phone. This can sometimes make it difficult to be interpreted as you intend. Perhaps you might find it more comfortable to speak to a counsellor over the phone? You can call the Helpline for free from landlines at any time of day on 1800 858 858. If that doesn’t appeal to you (and even if it does!) please stay in touch on the forum. It’s great to have you here!

Hang in there,

Bri (moderator)
BriM

Postby Rachel1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:18 am

Is there any reason why a cousellor would just go offline? I was finding my first chat with one of your counsellors very helpful. This online form of help is great. I just didnt want to have to start the whole conversation over again with someone else if i can avoid it. Cheers.
Attachments
puppy (2).jpg
puppy (2).jpg (273.53 KiB) Viewed 2814 times
puppy (2).jpg
puppy (2).jpg (273.53 KiB) Viewed 2814 times
Rachel1

Postby AnnaB (facilitator) » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi Rachel,

Good to hear that you are finding the online support helpful. I can’t think of any reason why a counsellor would go offline so unfortunately it sounds like it may have been a technical problem. Despite this, your conversation should be in your history so when you contact again you can ask the counsellor to read it to avoid having to go over some of the same ground. I also wanted to add that the community of members and moderators are also here to provide any support/help they can.

Good on you for contacting today,

Anna

AnnaB (facilitator)

Postby Anna » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:22 am

Hi, I was chatting to a great counsellor online too and then we got disconnected. I logged back in and then got another counsellor who i found not helpful really at all and they couldn't transfer back to the original counsellor which i was i was ok with at first but so disappointed with and by the end of the conversation with the 2nd counsellor i just felt like giving up. I dont even know where to begin again because i feel like that counsellor was just giving me text book answers and i've already been there with a face to face counselor that didn't know anything about gambling issues.

This is the gambling help online so i thought i'd have a better chance here considering i have no options in my area to get into a program.
Anna

Postby Bull » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Sometimes it can feel like the counsellor (or therapist or clinician or psychologist or whatever lol) is talking down to you because they are challenging some of the things you are saying to them. I found this to be one of my biggest problems when I sought help. I just couldn't take being told something different to what I thought and felt at the time!

Not saying that's what happened in your case tammy but it might be something to keep in mind a little .

Oh and I've noticed that not all counsellors are the same. They are all quite different actually!

Bull
Bull

Postby Merle » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:24 pm

Yeah I agree just had a counselling session wasnt happy with it.
Merle

Postby Hopefull » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:08 pm

I spoke to a counsellor a few years ago when I was really low and found no comfort. Unfortunately I don't think that a lot of councellors can help as they have never been through the heartache and pain of a gambling addition and have no real knowledge of what a addict goes through. My councellor's advice was 'Just stop playing' and when I told her that if I could do that then it would not be a problem. I ended up hanging up on her.

That is why this forum or GA meetings are so helpful if you are seeking help as the people involved DO know what you are going through.
Hopefull

Postby Dave68 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:07 pm

It's hard to say. I only had one experience when i called the gambling help phone number some years ago, although i guess when it's all said and done, it's probably something only you as the gambler can fully address. I guess i chugged along still playing pokies for a couple more years before i was able to have my heart and brain be on the same page, to leave the pokies behind.

But it's a tough gig i reckon, as no two people are exactly the same, and what may work for some may not work for others.
Dave68

Next

Return to Feedback on Services