" "

Husband problems..

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns and get some helpful tips.

Re: Husband problems..

Postby Kath9 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks everyone. Managed to get to the bank with HB and have had all accounts apart from his removed from his internet banking. To do anything more aggressive would require reapplication for home loan in my name.... anyway hopefully this is one step.
He admits he has a problem. I don't know if I will ever trust again at this point but I will try and help him to get the professional help he needs. Now just have to prioritise making the time for this.
Thanks for your comments. They are helpful :o
Kath9

Postby Mona58 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:32 pm

That's great news Kath!

Your husband is a lucky man to have you! I'm sure he knows this. It is great he has admitted the problem. l hope he will get all the help he can... AND you for yourself.

Stay strong! the path ahead may get a bit rough.

Wishing you all the very best.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:57 am

Hi Kathy,

It's great that you have started to separate your finances.

Gamblers change when the consequences of their actions outweigh the benefits.

Gamblers often get others to rescue them from the consequences.

They often get people around them to pay more than their fair share of bills and expenses. If a gambler lives alone and gambles their money away when the electricity bill is due, they get their electricity cut off. Consequence. If they gamble away their money when the electricity bill is due and their partner pays for it. No consequence.

Gamblers often get their partners to pay for groceries, fuel, bills, rent, mortgages, credit card debt, xmas presents etc.

In these situations the gambler rarely contacts our service. It is the partner that contacts, as they are the ones on the receiving end of the consequences. His gambling is causing negative consequences for YOU.

Ask yourself, how would his finances be different if he had to live alone.

Separating your finances as much as possible will allow him to start experience some negatives of gambling.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Kath9 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:44 am

Thanks Jerry. Hard for him to really feel consequences at the moment when we live in the same house. If mortgage etc doesn't get paid it has consequences for myself and kids.
I'm not seeing a person behaving in a way that is about to lose everything. He's not pulling out all stops and doesn't seem overly remorseful. He told me the other night that I couldn't look at his business account (was working for himself for a while this year and I was constantly asking when he was going to get paid). We've been fighting over finances and his lack of communication for years.. I feel like he's sponged off me for ages.
The stress and betrayal really does feel like too much for me at present. I've read a lot about this problem and don't think I could live always watching over my shoulder and being a mother figure.
I'm working on getting time for counselling. Life was already very hectic with being a full time working mum in a stressful job. I'm also getting legal advice on where we both stand in ordee to weigh it all up.
Have a great Christmas everyone and thanks for your support. X
Kath9

Previous

Return to For Family and Friends