" "

Where to turn for real help in Canberra PLEASE

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns and get some helpful tips.

Where to turn for real help in Canberra PLEASE

Postby lazyhampster » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:23 pm

My partner is a compulsive gambler and with that addiction - a master manipulator and liar.

We are now looking at being homeless. It is now dire and he doesn't care!

We were coping - JUST because I was working and supporting us and his gambling - but I lost my job and haven't found a new one.
We are behind in our rent and bills now and sure enough - hes out there gambling with the last of the money he's stolen from me.

He went to counselling last week and he hasn't got another appointment until next week. I feel 2.5 weeks between appointments this early on is too much of a wait.

GA on Mondays at the salvos - once they started on the God stuff - he was out!

He has self excluded - but due to a lack of any real policing of this joke of a service - he is currently at a club.

I need help! Who offers proper help in Canberra - like a bi weekly service or something?

Also - is there any punishment for these clubs that continue to not follow the procedures? I told one club he was in there and they didn't care...
lazyhampster

Re: Where to turn for real help in Canberra PLEASE

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi Lazyhampster,

Welcome to the forum. You will find this place is a very accepting and nonjudgmental space.

Alas there are no consequences that I know of for venues to fail to uphold the self exclusion policy. Hence if someone is determined to gamble they can find a way around the self exclusion policy. If someone really want to quit then they can use self exclusion as a helpful tool. They can go to venues after they gamble and remind the staff that they have been excluded for example. Extremely useful for those motivated to quit, useless for those unmotivated to change.

The easiest way to organize Gambling counselling is to give Gamblers Helpline a call (1800 858 858, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). They have access to a database with all the gambling counselling services and can get you contact details for your nearest service. If your partner wants help more often than once a week he is welcome to call Gamblers Helpline as often as he wants, he can call 50 times in a week if he wants.

Sometimes gamblers will seek out help so that other people will stop bugging them rather than because they actually want it. If that is the case then all you can do is talk to a counselor yourself, they are likely to know a few motivation enhancing strategies that you might not have though of.

From a more practical point of view it sounds like you are really in some financial trouble. The financial counselling Hotline should be able to help you with that. Then have some powers that banks don't and are often able to help people out of really difficult situations. Call them 9--5 Mon-Fri (1800 007 007).

You also mentioned that you are at risk of homelessness. My heart goes out to you, i can only imagine what that must feel like. But again from a practical perspective impending homelessness is something that you should prepare for in advance. Homeless shelters book out in advance so it is important to get in early. You can find more information regarding emergency housing in ACT Here https://www.act.gov.au/browse/topics/land-building-and-housing/emergency-accommodation

You have lots of challenges ahead, a gambling counselor will hopefully be able to help you with them all.

I know things seem desperate now, but many people on this forum have been in your position and worse and lived to tell the tail. Have a read through the forums, talk to some members and see what people in similar situations have found helpful.

You have a difficult road to walk, but you don't have to walk it alone.
Jerry (facilitator)

Return to For Family and Friends