" "

The last straw?

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns and get some helpful tips.

Re: The last straw?

Postby Mightbethelaststraw » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:53 am

Thank you for everyone's suggestions and stories.

We have tried a number of tactics, including supervised pokies visits but it always ended up escalating.

I have full control of our accounts (otherwise we would be broke), however, it is always a temporarily "fix". He'd borrow money from friends, steal from work etc, and we're end up in the same place.

I've suspected for years my hb had depression/underlaying issues as pokies aren't his only self-destructive behaviour. And have encouraged him numerous times to seek help without much success. However, after he's latest binge he has finally booked an appointment with a counsellor and is really putting in the effort. Much more than previous times. I think he's finally woken up to himself, and realised I WILL leave.

I've said I will be as supportive as possible while he is putting in the effort and taking responsibility, otherwise I'm done :-( So fingers crossed he continues putting in the effort.
Mightbethelaststraw

Re: The last straw?

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi Mightbethelaststraw,

That's great news. Taking the first step to admit that there is a problem and that you need help is usually the turning point for most gamblers. Great to hear your husband has booked a counselor.

Let us know how it all goes.
Jerry (facilitator)

Previous

Return to For Family and Friends