" "

How to tell if my husband has relapsed?

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns and get some helpful tips.

How to tell if my husband has relapsed?

Postby Ajm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:55 pm

My husband has been a gambler since he started earning an income. We’ve been together 8 years and his parents have dug him out of debt twice (we’re paying them back). About 4 months ago was the last time he confessed to debt and we put plans in place to get him back on track (some of which really haven’t happened). He claims to be doing really well and promises he hasn’t gambled since but in recent weeks he has been obviously stressed. He puts this to busyness at work and in his leadership role at a sports club. We’re also expecting our first baby in a matter of weeks. His parents have noticed a change in his temperament lately too. They’ve approached me questioning whether or not he has strayed. I have a lot of love for this man and tend to believe he’s doing alright. But I know my judgement can be clouded, I also know he will slip up at some stage and the sooner we know , the less damage will be caused. I am talking to him, asking him, keeping an eye on his bank accounts. But I guess I just want to hear some red flags or warning signs to be on the lookout for too. I know lying is all apart of the addiction..
Ajm

Re: How to tell if my husband has relapsed?

Postby tennisstar (facilitator) » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:57 pm

Hello there,

I'm tennisstar, one of the senior moderators. Well done on reaching out, I can appreciate that it is not always easy to do so. From what you're saying, you and your husband's parents seem to be having suspicions that your husband may be gambling again due to observed behavioural changes, and it sounds like it is causing you all a lot of concern. I can understand that this may be a stressful time for you, particularly that you're soon to be having a baby together. It's not uncommon for people who have lapsed to exhibit behavioural changes such as disturbances in sleeping patterns and mood, irritability, changes in their routine/coming home at a later time, changes in finances, or unaccounted time being noticed. It's great to hear that you've asked him about his gambling are being watchful over his finances, but I'm wondering what kind of social support you have for yourself at the moment, as this situation sounds very challenging? If you're wanting access to ongoing support, please call Gambler's Helpline on 1800 858 858 and speak to one of their counsellors - they're open 24/7 and can provide you with information, support, strategies to cope with your situation, in addition to referral for a counsellor for yourself free of charge. If you also have a look on these links- https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/h ... -a-problem and https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/h ... he-gambler, these can help shed some light on some warning signs and approaches for you and your husband's parents to take.

I hope you've found this information helpful :)

Kind regards,

tennisstar
tennisstar (facilitator)

Return to For Family and Friends