" "

100 day challenge

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

100 day challenge

Postby Bobbin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi Everybody- I have a long history with pokie machine gambling. Briefly- 1994 was when they came in to my state and I was instantly hooked. i dont participate in any other gambling. In 2003 I was at a very low point having tried GA meetings and not having any success. However I did give a commercial counselling group a go. This kept me clean until 2006. Then I had a change in job, increased stress, family breakup etc and started to go again. Now I am at a low point again. As soon as the thought comes I act with no responsibiolity or ability to control- then I go to a venue and leave with no money. It doesnt matter how much I may have got out of a machine I always go home with nothing. No one in my family knows that I am back into the addiction. They think i am a saint for kicking it back in 2006. This is easy for me to keep secret because I live on my own. I am increasingly anxious about this addiction I am 58 I am throwing my retiremnet means into this machine. So i am going to start the 100 day challenge.
Bobbin

RE: 100 day challenge

Postby POPEYE » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:19 pm

Last edited by POPEYE on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POPEYE

RE: 100 day challenge

Postby Helen1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:41 am

I feel you pain Bobbin... relapse is a *****.

You managed to give up completely for 3 years so you know it is possible to give up... but the million dollar question is how do we gamblers give up for life? This gambling disease is almost like an inbuilt self destruct mechanism which usually activates as soon a pressure is applied. It lays dormant within us and then suddenly pops up and says "Oh so you have a few problems in your life now do you? That's my cue to reactivate so I can completely stuff everything up for you!"... we are handicapped by this disease at the very times which we need to be on our game. It's like some sort of sick joke isn't it?

Hang in there mate and if it's any consolation, your not alone.
Helen1

Re: 100 day challenge

Postby Bobbin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 pm

Well I am back. I am now 61 I feel like my brain is overwhelmed by the pokies. It has recently become almost an every day thing. No more but somehow my experience shows I cant trust myself even if I can handle responsibly every other part of my life. I live on my own and it is my secret. I have a lot of guilt and shame about it. Tomorrow will be Day 1 of the 100 day challenge 2017
Bobbin

Postby Catherine1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:30 am

All the best with your challenge Bobbin. I too have a pokie addiction which I have been trying to give up for ages. I reached 7 weeks on Saturday - gamble free. Those machines always seem to suck you back in somehow. But this time, I want to be rid of this addiction. It is hard, but I think it will be well worth it. Good luck with your challenge and make sure you keep reading these stories and posting and this helps a lot.
Catherine1

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:19 am

Welcome back to the forum Bobbin,

Congratulations for taking up the challenge again. For most people it takes many attempts, it is the people that persist and keep trying that do really well. Each time you stop you learn a little bit more about gambling.

What worked well last time?
What do you think you would change for this 100 day challenge?

Everybody here is supportive and can give you some great ideas on how to make quitting that little bit easier.

Its a long road, but worth it in the end.
Jerry (facilitator)

Return to Your Diary of Recovery