" "

Day 1, Fighting for my freedom

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

Re: Day 1, Fighting for my freedom

Postby suz-free » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi Catherine,
yes, we can do this together. I understand totally how you feel. This morning I said out "I hate the pokies". I'm feeling stronger today, I'm expecting that the urges might creep in with this challenge but I've had enough - I'm suffering so much in my finances since blowing a lot of it 7 days ago & in the past 5 years.
I've had to take out a small loan, & burrow from partner & from my family some cash to help me this week. If I didn't have my family I'm not sure where I'd be, maybe homeless on the streets! It's such a warning sign that I need to urgently stop gambling & work on myself.
My advice is to say every day that you hate the pokies too, remind yourself of the losses it causes & that you can't get it back. Start each day as a new day to becoming stronger.
Suzy at day 7
suz-free

Postby suz-free » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:04 pm

Wow, day 14 here & have not gone pokies in the last 2 weeks. So far I've had 2 urges. One was today while out at shops but I kept reminding myself I'm so sick of losing, it worked and then the urge left me. A tear came upon me because I'm still struggling with finances today thanks to the big blow of money lost 2 weeks ago & last 5 years to those rotten machines. I ran out of money today due to a pay day loan coming out. Lucky I have a partner who will help me with a bit if I need it. I needed to eat some late lunch today and had a migraine come on while out. I asked him to transfer me 20, enough for my migraine pills & food to eat. So I'm still feeling sad about finances but on the flip side, hopefully my finances will improve now that I've made a choice not to gamble it
suz-free

Postby dragon007 (facilitator) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:42 am

Hi suz-free

Well done on your 14 days.

I found a documentary called Ka-ching Pokie nation really eye opening when it comes to electronic gaming machines, you can find parts of it on Youtube.

dragon007
facilitator
dragon007 (facilitator)

Previous

Return to Your Diary of Recovery