" "

Day 2 - longest I have had off for a long time!!!

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

Day 2 - longest I have had off for a long time!!!

Postby SickOfThePunt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi all,
Fairly new to the group but so glad I joined... day 2 for me today and payday. My grip is online betting (horses, dogs, harness racing) . So easily accessible on my phone- and also easy to hide like I was playing games if someone cane near me I’d switch screens to look like I was playing an innocent game of Candy Crush 🙄🙄

How sneaky and deceitful this problem makes me. Yesterday was easier than today, but I did it! For the longest time that I can remember , I have not Siena a cent on gambling. My Betting account must have gone into shock as I received an email stating they had given me a $25 bonus bet to use! Sneaky sneaky sneaky! I have blocked all betting apps and installed the gamblock app on my phone. Nights I would spend moody and distant, kranky with everyone around me that my horses weren’t winning, or that I missed out by a photo for finish on a Trifecta... I could be spending over $500 a night ... it’s so depressing- but I didn’t do it tonight!!!

Might not seem much to some people but for me it’s a precious milestone. As my babies lay peacefully sleeping tucked up in bed , I regret what I have taken away from them, but promise to try and pay every cent back. I went for a job interview today, for a second job and I got it!! It’s weekend work - should keep me busy as I’d only be at home watching the Races secretly anyway.

I feel like my whole life I’ve been chasing the losses, 20 years of gambling, I started on the pokies at 18 and then moved onto horse racing. The money that I have blown I have no clue but it’s ALOT!! I do dwell on it some days , but have decided to see that part of my life as a chapter that has now closed. I can’t go back and rewrite my past but I’m determined to write one hell of a future.
This support group has given me much support and I’ve loved going through other people’s stories as we are all in this together. The loneliness of a gambling addict is unbearable. To look at - no one would ever guess I was an Addict but I am. Or was. Time will tell.

Here’s to Day 3 tomorrow - the longest stint since I can remember.
🍻🍻🍻
SickOfThePunt

Re: Day 2 - longest I have had off for a long time!!!

Postby sherpa09 (facilitator) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Hello,

I'm one of the new facilitators here and have found your story very inspiring. Well done on your journey thus far and look forward to further inspiration :)
sherpa09 (facilitator)

Postby How the F did I get here » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Good on you!!!!!
And believe me when I say I totally understand the significance of 2 days gamble free is, when you would normally bet on those days. Sounds ridiculous to outsiders that 2 days gamble free is a massive thing, but us gamblers all know just hpw significant it is.

I also think of what I have taken from my child because of gambling and that more than the money is the hard part to accept.

The time and perhaps lack of attention when I was depressed as fu $%! After loosing all my money. And a short temper with my child due to anger at myself and depression.

We need to do this for our kids!!!
Good luck and well done on a massive 2 days gamble free!
How the F did I get here

Postby Dre » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:04 am

Hi im new to this and just joined up. My problem is only minor and dont want it to get bigger. I might only gamble $200 bucks a week but i could be saving that money. I only gamble when im bored. I get home and i need to do something because of how bored i get so i might go to the pokies to keep my self entertained. Today is day 1 of me stopping. Anybody got any suggestion of things i can do to keep myself entertained to avoid gambling?
Dre

Postby Mona58 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:52 pm

There is quite a lot you can do. Check out your local community center... look in the local paper. Evening courses.. art an craft classes.. line dancing.... walking groups the list goes on. I am sure you will find something.

All the best.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Return to Your Diary of Recovery