" "

Trying to kick the habit.

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

Trying to kick the habit.

Postby Broncosboy89 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 pm

Hey
I'm 28 years of age. My gambling has only really got bad in the last 10 months or so. In that time I have got myself about $9k in debt. Just from online sports betting accounts. My biggest problem has been chasing my losses I would get a little bit behind and then start betting bigger to try and get back in front. And then I don't realise what I'm doing at the time until I've blown a few hundred or a thousand and then I feel terrible about what have I done.

I've realised that I have a problem and this is my first step into trying to stop gambling. So if anyone can give me some advice or anything I'd greatly appreciate it
Broncosboy89

Re: Trying to kick the habit.

Postby Springhope17 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi there,

I signed up for the 100 day challenge and it has really helped me! I am on day 46 now!

I have found limiting access to funds really helped me. I pay all my bills as soon as my money hits the account!

Try to stop before you get in anymore debt, i wish i reached out for help earlier now I have close to $100,000 debt from chasing my losses for the past 3 years!

I also found reading other peoples stories really helpful!

Remain strong!
Springhope17

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:57 am

Hi Broncosboy89,

A lot of people find Counselling and Self exclusion really helpful. Any gambling website based in Australia will have an option to ban yourself. You can also get gambling blocking software that will stop your computer receiving any advertising related to gambling. Alas they are not free, but much cheaper than gambling. try: http://www.gamblock.com/ or http://www.betfilter.com/

The other strategy that is probably even more important is to try to find a replacement activity for gambling. What sort of hobbies do you think could fill in the time that you usually use to gamble?
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Mike77 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:14 pm

I feel the same way as you. Just a couple of years younger and also a big Broncos fan. Though I have slightly over double the amount of debt you have. So you are attempting to nip it in the big earlier than I should have.
Mike77

Postby Mona58 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:48 am

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Hope you will nip your gambling problem from now onwards.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Return to Your Diary of Recovery