" "

My first day of 100 days

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

My first day of 100 days

Postby Bugger000 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:00 am

Wow. I never thought i would reach out for help as this is humiliating which i struggle with most. Im supposed to be this strong independent woman but like all people which i am reminded of, i have my downfalls. Its online gambling, tables and pokies. Ive cancelled my access to my favourite online gambling site and am determined to stay strong to get myself out of the debt im in.
I can do this!!! To day 1 :o
Bugger000

Re: My first day of 100 days

Postby Catherine1 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:25 pm

Yes. It can happen to anyone. Gambling doesnt care who it chooses. I too am supposedly independent, well educated and well paid woman but have struggled to give up playing the pokies. It has been a constant struggle for over 5 years and everything hit rock bottom earlier this year. I am at week 13 today gamble free. I have found I have all this spare time now that I am not gambling to do things I enjoy, like craft and needlework, gardening and cooking. It will be really hard to start with but as the weeks go by things seem to get easier. All the best with your challenge.
Last edited by Catherine1 on Sun May 14, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine1

Postby KingKelz » Sun May 14, 2017 12:05 am

Hi there, I too am humiliated and am new to this site and have only decided today to get help and smash this addiction, any advice u could give to me would be great, I don't even know where to start :-(
KingKelz

Postby pamela » Sun May 14, 2017 9:10 am

Gambling is an.awful.addiction.but it is one that can be broken.By coming here and posting you have taken the first step .My suggestion is to get some counselling as this really helps especially in the early stages.if you have a friend or family member you can confide in.and ask them to help you control your money..if you have no access to money then its a bit harder to gamble.try self exclusion from pokie venues or close online accounts.Then its just hard work and determination to overcome this insidious addiction..If you get a chance and have toime..read through stories here as there are many success stories.We just need to change how we think and when we have an urge to gamble we have to recognise the trigger and retrain our brain to deal with the urge differently.We cant change our past but we can reshape our future..good luck
Pam
pamela

Postby Shirley (facilitator) » Tue May 16, 2017 4:45 pm

Hi B, there are steps you can take to block all access to gambling sites on your tablet and phone. You can Google Netnanny or Gamblock, and alternatively on an Iphone you can set up the blocks in settings>restrictions.

Speaking with a gambling counsellor at GH (1800858858) may be a good place to start as they can help with self-exclusion from the pokies, goal setting, strategies for managing urges, financial counselling referral etc.

Quitting gambling is a process that takes a lot of little steps and we are here to help with that. Trying the 100 day challenge may be helpful too, as it has worked for many people.

All the best!

Shirley
Shirley (facilitator)

Postby Free4Good » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:49 am

Yesterday I too started the 100 day challenge and like yourself an online gambler. The embarrassment I felt the last couple of days has being mentally and physically draining. Today I feel like I am hungover so drained, I just want to hide in my bedroom. I do feel better for finally taking the step to chat and tell my story on GH and I find comfort here.

Hope your journey is going well
Free4Good

Postby Miette (facilitator) » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:18 pm

It is great you have taken this step - and you do not have to do this alone.
It is great that you use this forum, you can also call Gambler's Helpline 24/7 on 1800 858 858.

Thank you for sharing your story :)
Miette (facilitator)

Return to Your Diary of Recovery