" "

Day 1 of 100

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

Day 1 of 100

Postby shaun1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:04 am

So today will be my day 1 of 100

Today is pay day which is always the worst, usually i get paid, pay few bills then blow the rest on gambling, today im hoping i dont and am strong enough to stay home and chill out and just enjoy my day off rather than having 2 hours of fun then feel like ending myself..

wish me luck
shaun1

Re: Day 1 of 100

Postby pamela » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:54 am

Shaun you can do it..You just have to be strong.don't think too far ahead and just take one day at a time..enjoy your day off..
pamela

Postby shaun1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Be interesting to hear from some people just how much money they have actually saved from not gambling, im sure its crazy amounts
shaun1

Postby pamela » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:09 am

not sure I have saved huge amounts but I have paid off debts and could afford to buy a new car
pamela

Postby 1dayatatime » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:15 pm

hi shaun,

Hope you got through the long weekend ok.
Good on you for starting this process, and i say process, because you will find that this path has many twist and turns. STICK WITH IT!

Im on day 28 tomorrow (Tuesday)! Cant say im out of danger just yet, maybe at day 4597....hahaha. I have been a pokie addict for 10+yrs, I have had massive changes in mood and feelings of doubt. Just like any addiction, your brain wants those HITS...the chemicals that keep the loop going.

Get into the reading and youtube videos and also the forums and counselling, phone or face to face. give yourself the best chance to succeed, because even small relapses might happen, you dont want to give into them and stop trying.

All the best

D.
1dayatatime

Postby shaun1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:09 am

Thanks D

Yeah some days hey u just couldnt care less about them and the next your like oh id really like a slap hahah

Ill get there im sure im pretty strong minded id like to think, if u have any good youtube links on gambling addiction i love watching them and hearing peoples storys, it kind of makes me feel like oh wow thats so bad i cant get to that level...

PM me links if u got any good ones, :)
shaun1

Postby Shirley (facilitator) » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi Shaun,

Well done on deciding to make some changes to your gambling! It isn't easy, but when the consequences of your gambling have outweighed any benefits, then it is time to reassess and take back some control.
The most important thing to remember is that stopping gambling has less to do with willpower and more to do with preparation. If you can be prepared for the gambling urges, then you will be more able to manage them. Knowing when to expect an urge, i.e on payday, after a hard day at work etc can be helpful as it means you can take steps in advance to protect your money. Speaking to a financial counsellor might help in this regard, but other ideas include limiting withdrawal amounts, cutting up credit cards, and setting up a notice saver account that you cannot access funds impulsively. Finally, keep in mind that gambling urges are your brain's way of signalling that it wants something, but that doesn't mean you have to give it what it wants. Urges are time limited and that means they will always pass so keep yourself focused on surfing the urge and it will soon pass.

Well done!

Shirley
Shirley (facilitator)

Return to Your Diary of Recovery