" "

Back At It Again- This Time I Can Do IT!!!!

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

Back At It Again- This Time I Can Do IT!!!!

Postby Trevor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:23 am

This is my story. i have 2 kids who i love to the end of the earth and an amazing partner currently employed in a high position at a job i enjoy and have good family around. what more could you ask for.. exactly

i have been hooked on horse/greyhound betting since i was 19. i have always thought i could win money to help my family through life easier and have money to enjoy things we cant do at the minute. i have turned in to a horrid person who was not me. i have lied, stole and took trust away from those that love me. i dont know why but they still stick by me to help pick pieces up. i try so hard to give up and keep telling myself every week. nothing worse then the deep feeling in your stomach when you blew your wage and knowing your credit card is maxed and and owe alot of people. this time i know what i want in life and going to give it a hard crack. im sick of living off people and my kids desrve me to step up and be a better father. money doesnt buy them happiness. time with with there father does. i have tried killing myself a few times just to take the pain away. i thought it would be easier on the people around me. i do realise that was stupid and have learnt with it. i have spent aprox 75000 which might not be much but is to me. last night i only had my last 50 to get though week and blew it. i have woken up positive today and going to give it a crack. im first going to get overdue payments out of way and clear my credit card next. one step at a time and can hopefully be a free man
Trevor

Re: Back At It Again- This Time I Can Do IT!!!!

Postby malvina » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:16 am

We are with you Trevor Just make that REAL decision to stop and then God will help you
If we can't do it for our ourself - then do it for our family - because if we don't it is going to affect and damage their lives later on.
I remember thinking with a family member - I was wondering how I was the only one that seemed to have developed the habit... There were sniggers from her - seems that my Grandfather was HUGE gambler! - and I always wondered why their home was so impoverished...2 uncles and Aunt unmarried and Granny lved there. nothing fancy at all almost bare boards and their food was the same and they were all adults. The only reason they had a home was because one of the sons had made good and become a good accountant in London he bought their house
So Grandad's legacy was poverty for his family many years after he had gone.
malvina

Postby pamela » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:54 am

Hi Trevor..we have all been where you are and felt like you feel but ..you can change all of that if you really want to and it sounds like you do.Ask your partner to help you with your finances until you get your feet back on the ground.Everytime you get an urge to bet think of your children and what is the most important..good luck
pamela

Postby Trevor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:15 pm

thanks for kind words. i have been real hard at myself this time as i need the kick. i have been though too much and had enough. i have gone today and blocked all my betting sites and credit card is now destroyed. i have a bright future ahead just need to stay motivated and keep away from gambling
Trevor

Postby blastoise (facilitator) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Hey Trevor!

Thanks for sharing your experience! One thing I will say is that it is never too late to stop, and it sounds like you are taking some steps to recognise the problem gambling has caused, and that some change is needed. I can relate with you in that often we start out wanting to do good and support our family or loved ones, and before we know it, it has spiraled out of control. What I would suggest is that maybe the 100 day challenge would be a good start, or to speak to a financial counsellor if you think you might need a hand budgeting money and to help consolidate debts. Dpeending on the state you live in, you can speak to the State Trustees and they often help. PM if you want any additional help in that area!

Again, welcome and I am sure you have already gotten the feeling that we are a pretty supportive bunch, so jump in at any time or ask a question :) Good luck on your journey

Regards,
Blastoise
blastoise (facilitator)

Return to Your Diary of Recovery