" "

When is anuff anuff.

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

When is anuff anuff.

Postby Kaneo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:25 pm

im pretty much at rock bottom..gambling has cost me my business four weeks ago. My car my credit. .ive spent every cent to my name on the slot machines. I just don't no what to do anymore .ive tryd self exclusion I find myself at another pub. I've tried handing over my money to my partner I find myself getting it back some how.it makes me feel sick.ive tryed group meetings one on one over the past few years.i really don't no is it just that I haven't lost anuff yet .or I haven't. Been ready .
Kaneo

Re: When is anuff anuff.

Postby annnie » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi Kaneo,

You found your way to rock bottom headquarters and you probably know yourself that enough is enough now. There's a lot of honest personal experiences on this forum to read & I am sure you have looked at many before posting and can now see you are not alone in this mess, There is no judgement and much understanding of your depth of despair.. However reading is one thing & taking action is another.

I call this the battle of all battles and is extremely difficult to do this on your own. Keep taking up all offers of support, face to face counselling, financial counselling etc...Think about making a start on regaining control of your life and change the present thought patterns that are working overtime doing loops in your head by writing up a plan/list of what you want & need to do, focus on your goals & what needs to be done to get through each day. It's like going back to school and having sticky notes around at exam time with the important bits on them that need to be remembered along with words of encouragement to build confidence and self esteem. We all get pretty low on the way to rock bottom. If you need to put sticky notes up, do it. Changing habits is damn hard work.

One thing that is helping me at present ( and as another member said a while back ) is finding an anger with gambling and in my case it's pokies , not interested in anything else, I could be angry at the clubs and pubs that know that a person has been there too long , stuffing more & more money in and offer you food and drink freebies at the machines all day rather than going with RSG obligations , faster reel spinning, promoting member rewards, etc. etc.. But I am more angry at the Govt that puts less into gambling addiction rehab compared to alcohol & illegal drugs, allows atm into venues via loopholes , allegedly allows for major sporting clubs to retain monies meant for community projects via a loophole ( read an article yesterday) and other venues allegedly retain for operating costs via the loophole. It is alleged they do pass on minimal amounts and I mean disgustingly minimal .

I am not playing the blame game but searching for as many reasons to develop an anger towards the machines and their operators as my liking for them was much stronger. They don't give a s****t about the people and the losses. Gambling revenue is more important. The funding for problem gamblers is minimal and the known gambling related suicide figures are increasing each year (one article allegedly stated 400 a year, another was the ABS stats on gambling back in 1998 ) and yet nothing is being done about it. Time to get angry if that's what it's going to take to stop.....

Don't know if I am allowed to say that facilitators . Delete post if it is breaking the rules but it's about time this type of information is out there for people know what is really going on.

Sounds like you are ready to call it quits on this addiction, Take a breath and get ready to fight and we will all be here for you

Take care & keep in touch.
Last edited by annnie on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
annnie

Postby Arni » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:56 pm

Yes welcome to the place of hope dreams and a brighter future.As long as you keep gambling you can forget about that.Sometimes you have to lose everything before you realise that its not worth it.Its an interesting reality how this addiction buries itself in ones life,and grows and grows into an immense problem in the end.Takes lots of willpower,its not easy,takes time to break that behaviour.Good news is YOU CAN DO IT,you just have to really WANT TO.No sugar coating here its not f***n easy to change habit and lifestyle,many have done it ,many are on the road to change...... we all have the same goals.... to get rid of this bad habit be it poker machines horses sportsbetting whatever.Having said my bit....GoodLuck be strongwilled all the best for 2017.Coming here is the first step next one is the plan of action that works in your life to be able to stop.Remember poker machines are programmed to take your money..... you cannot beat a computer program :) All the best & peace to all
Arni

Postby Chunkyquitter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:06 pm

Life's worth living without gambling. Quitting is empowering as much as the addiction is embarrassing.
Quit it's hard, but log in each day to reaffirm how it feels to have stopped. No more time wasted in stupid pokie rooms, all this spare time starts to open windows were you complete work On the house, spend time with family without being distracted by the urge to want to leave so you can gamble.
Pick a small target at first, like lasting one lay period with no gambling, then do another pay period next thing you know you'll be on your way to 100 days and habit will be losing its grip on you
Chunkyquitter

Postby Charlotte (facilitator) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi Kaneo,

Welcome to the forum and good on you for taking the steps to get here - it takes courage to face up to the reality that gambling is getting the better of you. This is a great place to get support from people who have had similar experiences and know where you're coming from. Everyone has a different story to tell, but there is something for everyone in each one of those stories. Keep reading them and communicating with people about how they've made change, what's helped and what strategies they have used, and you will be heading in the right direction.

If you're looking for further support you can call Gambler's Helpline 24/7 to speak to a professional gambling counsellor: 1800 858 858.

All the best and keep on keeping on.

Charlotte
Charlotte (facilitator)

Return to Your Diary of Recovery