" "

day 1

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

Re: day 1

Postby jacksons » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:05 pm

annnie wrote:Hi Jackson,

Keep it up, focus and fight any urges . Replace old habits with new good ones that will benefit you rather than those that don't. Everyday day make an effort and go for a walk, push yourself a little bit further each day, soon you will be that much further ahead in many ways. Exercise helps with depression. Habits are changing and you are retraining the brain. We are with you, don't be afraid to post on days when you struggle with withdrawal there 's always someone here, and ring the help line also, I find if I am struggling , just talking to someone that really understands & knows all the ins & outs makes the world of difference. Looking forward to hear how you are travelling.

Take care.

hello that is 5 days today.

luckily i am already very much into my fitness so i have that to be thankful for. Thank you for your support.

I am at the juncture where i really don't have the option to gamble anymore. I have money that i need to pay back. I'm no longer fearful of been paid - i know i will do right by myself from here on in.
jacksons

Postby Chunkyquitter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:13 pm

How's it going. Man I was as low as your first post myself about a Month ago.
Unfortunately my trigger for the relapse was a back injury. It made it hard for fitness to be a release and the being injured part was what drove me to gamble out of control this episode.
Mentally I'm happier now I'm not fighting being injured and gambling at the same time.
Don't hate on yourself, that's what I've learnt is that I'm hard on myself and my gambling is self destructive. As silly as it sounds value yourself again. Detach from technology, meditate, rest and workout and you seem to have no need for that gambling stimulation if your mood is balances
Chunkyquitter

Postby Arni » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Keep up the good work Jacksons :) It will take time ..... but you can do it.Be strong willed.... remember we are ALL the same you just have to find the right balance and what works for you.Everyone is wired a bit different ..... the longer you stay away the stronger you become.For me well I decided to fix the house up strip the paint off,repairs etc etc...... s**t load of work before I even paint.But what it does for me is comsume time and focus my mind on something positive.I must admit it is hard to keep focused at times but Im determined not to waste anymore money. Nearly 4 months now :) so I just keep looking forwards and try not to relive the past too much.All the best on your journey & peace to all
Arni

Postby jacksons » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:55 pm

Arni wrote:Keep up the good work Jacksons :) It will take time ..... but you can do it.Be strong willed.... remember we are ALL the same you just have to find the right balance and what works for you.Everyone is wired a bit different ..... the longer you stay away the stronger you become.For me well I decided to fix the house up strip the paint off,repairs etc etc...... s**t load of work before I even paint.But what it does for me is comsume time and focus my mind on something positive.I must admit it is hard to keep focused at times but Im determined not to waste anymore money. Nearly 4 months now :) so I just keep looking forwards and try not to relive the past too much.All the best on your journey & peace to all

Thats amazing mate - 4 months is a serious accomplishment.

I couldn't agree more about staying busy - it helps a lot, doing that in tune with keeping my money out of reach for any poor impulsive decisions seems to be working for me at the moment.

Stay strong man.
jacksons

Postby jacksons » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Chunkyquitter wrote:How's it going. Man I was as low as your first post myself about a Month ago.
Unfortunately my trigger for the relapse was a back injury. It made it hard for fitness to be a release and the being injured part was what drove me to gamble out of control this episode.
Mentally I'm happier now I'm not fighting being injured and gambling at the same time.
Don't hate on yourself, that's what I've learnt is that I'm hard on myself and my gambling is self destructive. As silly as it sounds value yourself again. Detach from technology, meditate, rest and workout and you seem to have no need for that gambling stimulation if your mood is balances

Sorry to hear about your injury man, i would lose a lot of willpower if i didn't have the ability of exercise to use as an escape.

I was in a bad place only a week ago, a place ive been more times than i care to count - but im 7 days in now and feeling good about it.

Couldn't agree more about the meditation and exercising though - these have both been fairly staple things in my life whenever ive seen even the smallest amounts of progress of staying away from it.

Hopefully you have healed up and you can get back training again - keep yourself sane man goodluck!
jacksons

Postby Arni » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Thank You for your words of encouragement Jackson...much appreciated. The perception of time is indeed an interesting reality.Through your eyes a serious accomplishment...... yet through mine I feel like Ive only scratched the surface,andyet the 4 months seems so much longer than it really is.Feels like a year or more lol...... at times.
Ive wasted a lot of money over the last few years all because of *something* I enjoyed doing.I feel like Im being cheated these days because of the modern programming of the machines .The fairness has been taken away.....if it was ever there in the first place.One of my main issues is Im still financial which makes it hard in a way as I am able to just slip back in the old routine if Im not careful...... but I feel like Ive had enough wastage.I sometimes think what if I gave away all those wasted dollars to street people who have their own struģgles how more enriched my life could have been..... but one cant think like that hindsight is just that...... hindsight.Though I do donate a little bit to strangers randomly that may cross my path.... mainly young ones living on the streets for whatever reason.I remember many lifetimes ago I was there and some kind people crossed my path and did the same.Its a reward system that beats any feature or jackpot by far.....its the simple things in life that matter.At the end of the day we arrived here with empty pockets and will leave with the same....its what you do in between that defines who you are.All the best & peace to all :)
Arni

Postby Zalaty » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:05 pm

I'm doing it with you Jackson, same days same feelings. Currently tiling my house to use as a diversion until I return to work.
Zalaty

Postby annnie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:18 am

Hi all,

Great to read all the supportive posts, sounds like there's quite a lot of determination going on here guys. !! A positive mind = positive results.....

Time to tackle all the jobs we have put off over the past months, keep yourselves occupied and enjoy the sense of achievement when the job is done.

Getting up early to clean the gutters before the heat hits. ( ok - to assist in emptying the bucket to be exact ) none the less a job that needs doing and has been put off for some time ( until I could find someone to help & remember I am in my mid fifties and get lesser duties due to age !!!!!! )

Take care all, I'm falling asleep as I'm writing this.
annnie

Postby jacksons » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:37 pm

8 days - and counting!

back to work tomorrow - good luck to you all.
jacksons

Postby jacksons » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:39 pm

Arni wrote:Thank You for your words of encouragement Jackson...much appreciated. The perception of time is indeed an interesting reality.Through your eyes a serious accomplishment...... yet through mine I feel like Ive only scratched the surface,andyet the 4 months seems so much longer than it really is.Feels like a year or more lol...... at times.
Ive wasted a lot of money over the last few years all because of *something* I enjoyed doing.I feel like Im being cheated these days because of the modern programming of the machines .The fairness has been taken away.....if it was ever there in the first place.One of my main issues is Im still financial which makes it hard in a way as I am able to just slip back in the old routine if Im not careful...... but I feel like Ive had enough wastage.I sometimes think what if I gave away all those wasted dollars to street people who have their own struģgles how more enriched my life could have been..... but one cant think like that hindsight is just that...... hindsight.Though I do donate a little bit to strangers randomly that may cross my path.... mainly young ones living on the streets for whatever reason.I remember many lifetimes ago I was there and some kind people crossed my path and did the same.Its a reward system that beats any feature or jackpot by far.....its the simple things in life that matter.At the end of the day we arrived here with empty pockets and will leave with the same....its what you do in between that defines who you are.All the best & peace to all :)

That's a great attitude to have man

I remember hitting large on pokies/horses and always giving the homeless guy on the street 10 or 20 bucks thinking it would be a good omen - thats where the real sense of enjoyment comes from.

I don;t think i ever enjoyed gambling - perhaps the dopamine release it caused.
jacksons

PreviousNext

Return to Your Diary of Recovery