" "

Getting on the road to recovery

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

Getting on the road to recovery

Postby User 59ae46a2069f3 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi,
I guess I'm just lost and not sure how to deal with my addiction. A bit of background I'm 29, gambled since I was around 15. Been a massive part of my life, very social and the typical bloke who like to have a pot and a punt. What started social and fun has sent me into a state of anger, hatred and a loss of self worth. I've always been a hard worker and rewarded myself with payrises/bonuses saying I wouldn't have had it anyway. Unfortunately in the last 3 months as a heap more money has become availiable to me with purchasing a house and having funds to renovate, have I slipped into my worst habits yet. I've gone from having a healthy account and in the Clear after all the years of struggle, do getting personal loans and maxing out cards to feed the addiction and thought of I'll win it back and quit. Today is my first day of seeking help by ringing gamblers help and seeking counselling face to face to sort my life and finances. I guess the reason I'm writing here is to clear my head at my most vulnerable time, laying in bed thinking when usually I'd get on my phone and bet online..
User 59ae46a2069f3

Re: Getting on the road to recovery

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi there User 59ae46a2069f3

(Do you maybe have a more catchy name we can refer to you by?)

This is a great place to share your struggles and triumphs. Lots of people on here give some really great advice, so it is worth having a read through the forums and seeing what has helped others. It is a great place to visit if you are having an urge to gamble.

Thanks for sharing a little bit about your story.

Welcome to the forum.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby User 59ae46a2069f3 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:56 pm

I'm still working out how to change. Macca will do.
Thankyou I guess like a lot of people experience gambling can be a very dark and lonely place. It can give you the biggest highs and excitement, but also the worst lows and dark places.
I'm into my second day of trying to right my wrongs and just feel so much guilt, and frustration and basically sick. The urge to gamble for now has gone, but the empty feeling and regret is stronger than ever. I guess those feelings are supplementing the urge to bet feeling? I know in time it becomes easier but looking back at the money lost and what could've really clouds things
User 59ae46a2069f3

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi Macca,

You should be able to change you username by going to:

User Control panel (top of screen) -> Profile tab -> Edit Account settings -> Username.

It sounds like you are in a pretty dark place right now. Negative feelings can stop us gambling, but only in the short term. Often people gamble to avoid negative feelings so relying on feeling bad does not work in the long term.

What works in the long term is to look towards a positive future. Focus on how your life will improve when you have quit gambling. What will you do with your the time you used to spend gambling?

Negative passive strategies only work in the short term.
Positive active strategies are the way to go to kick gambling for good.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Springhope17 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi Macca

Just wondering how the road to recovery is going for you?

I am on day 11 today. Its hard i wish I could go back in time to 3 years go and stop betting before i took loan after loan and maxed out all my credit cards!

Hope you are well.
Springhope17

Return to Your Diary of Recovery