" "

Are you experiencing depression? Free online group therapy available

Stay on top of cutting edge gambling research and browse new opportunities to get involved!

Are you experiencing depression? Free online group therapy available

Postby MoodGroup » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:59 pm

Hi all,

Many people who experience problem gambling also experience depression. If you are experiencing symptoms of depression, or have been feeling down for longer than two weeks then MoodGroup may be able to help.

MoodGroup is an innovative intervention designed to reduce depressive symptoms and improve quality of life in Australian adults. It involves online group therapy with 6-8 participants, facilitated by provisional psychologists. We invite you to participate in a research trial to examine its efficiacy.

To be eligible for MoodGroup you must meet the following criteria:

You must be aged 18 years or over.
You must be residing in Australia whilst participating in MoodGroup.
You must have a depressive disorder.
You must be able to commit to 2 hours per week for 9 weeks to participate in the online group.
You will require access to the Internet.

Further information can be found on the webpage: http://www.rmit.edu.au/psychology/moodgroup

To register your interest and allow the researchers to determine your eligibility for the project, please complete our online survey located here: https://rmit.asia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0Puq0cX5LSxfId6

If you have any questions please email Kerry Arrow, the Principal Investigator by emailing [email="moodgroup@rmit.edu.au"]moodgroup@rmit.edu.au[/email] or calling 03 9925 7776.

MoodGroup is a research project conducted by RMIT PhD candidate Kerry Arrow under the supervision of Associate Professor Andrea Chester and Dr Keong Yap.

http://www.rmit.edu.au/psychology/moodgroup
MoodGroup

RE: Are you experiencing depression? Free online group therapy available

Postby Redav » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Hello Kerry

I have had a depressive episode unfortunately. Have always been looking to get a sense of understanding from others but no one seems to give a **** or know what im doing or thinking. really sucks.

can you tell me please how you do group therapy online because i thought group stuff was always a bunch of people sitting in a circle talking about stuff
Redav

Postby JJ2 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:23 am

Hey Redav - why don't you email her at the address (if you haven't already).

Depression is really tricky. Do you mean that you have been trying to get a sense of understanding from others about your depression or depression in general?
JJ2

Postby MoodGroup » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:08 pm

Redav (30/01/2013)Hello Kerry

I have had a depressive episode unfortunately. Have always been looking to get a sense of understanding from others but no one seems to give a **** or know what im doing or thinking. really sucks.

can you tell me please how you do group therapy online because i thought group stuff was always a bunch of people sitting in a circle talking about stuff

Hi Redav,

That is a really good question, because group therapy has historically been conducted face-to-face, and yes, most of the time is has been people sitting in a circle discussing stuff.

The way MoodGroup works is this: Groups of 6-8 people who all have depression log into an online classroom at the same time each week. The online classroom allows you to chat (like in msn or Facebook chat), view a slide show/PowerPoint presentation, write on an interactive whiteboard and ask questions. The online classroom is hosted by Blackboard Collaborate. You can see what they do on their website:

http://www.blackboard.com/getdoc/5dcff8d2-5fda-4181-aac6-184b4a2ed24c/Introducing-Blackboard-Collaborate-Web-Conferencin.aspx

However, MoodGroup is more than just chatting with other people with depression. It is facilitated by a provisional psychologist trained in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), which has been shown to be highly effective in reducing depression. Your facilitator will take you through the weekly topic, explain the concepts, clarify questions, guide you through activities and guide and focus the group discussion. The emphasis however is very much on group members supporting and helping each other. The facilitator is there to help make that happen.

MoodGroup aims to provide you with skills you can use to help fight your depression. As with any skills, you need to practice it for it to work. So every week group members get readings and home practice activities. The readings are yours to keep, so you can refer to them as often as you need to after the group has finished.

People who have already done a MoodGroup have consistently commented on the sense of connection they felt to other group members, and how much they valued being part of a group who "gets it". So although you are not face-to-face, it seems that is is very much possible to be part of a supportive and helpful group in cyberspace.

I hope that answers your question, and that you decide to apply. We are still looking to fill additional groups, so hope to "see" you in one of them.

Please don't hesitate to email [email="moodgroup@rmit.edu.au"]moodgroup@rmit.edu.au[/email] or post if you have further questions.

Cheers,
Kerry and the MoodGroup team
MoodGroup

Postby Bull » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Do you guys deal with people as messed up as what I'm feeling right now?

Or is this kinda for those who aren't very unwell but are still not happy
Bull

Postby Angie » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32 am

That's a really good point Bull. I think I get what you mean. This kind of thing looks like it would be helpful because part of being unhappy is about not feeling connected to others, right? You say you are feeling messed up- whats happened???
Angie

Postby Bull » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:50 am

Just really really lonely, like no one understands how I feel so I escape to a poker table where I actually know and feel like I can relate to others. I have queried if Im depressed at times and that's why I am interested in this study, but I'm not sure if it's for people who are generally unhappy or those that are just clinically depressed (or both).
Bull

Postby MoodGroup » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi Bull,

Sorry to hear that things are so tough for you right now.

If you are concerned that you may have depression then it may be well-worth seeing a GP or a psychologist about this. The beyondblue infoline (1300 224 636) is a good place to start as they provide referrals, information and resources 24-hours a day.

To answer your question about eligibility for our study- you don' need a formal diagnosis of depression but we do ask you to complete a questionnaire which assesses depressive disorders (and other aspects of your general mental health). In this way we are able to distinguish between those people who are a bit sad/having a bad few days and those who are experiencing depressive symptoms.

For some people, MoodGroup on its own has helped them. But we encourage all our participants to explore additional treatment options- such as medication and face-to-face therapy.

Please feel free to email us ([email="moodgroup@rmit.edu.au"]moodgroup@rmit.edu.au[/email]) with further questions or visit out website http://www.rmit.edu.au/psychology/moodgroup if you would like to know more or are considering joining a MoodGroup.

Kind regards,
Kerry and the MoodGroup team
MoodGroup

Re: Are you experiencing depression? Free online group thera

Postby James » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:54 pm

I know you mentioned needing to be diagnosed for depression but is there a restriction on if your depression is most likely circumstantial compared to chemical.
I think most people on this forum experience a certain level of depression but only a small portion of them are having it caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain.
James

Re: Are you experiencing depression? Free online group thera

Postby Dave68 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:21 pm

MIne is pretty simple. The harsh reality of knowing that i blew 28 years of earnings as a single bloke on horses and pokies, to the tune of having $70K of short term debt at age 46 when i finally stopped. So many shoulda wouldas in that, so much remorse for not stopping sooner. So much pain in my mind knowing what opportunities i have forgone, and what i have condemned myself to in the future.

But that's the trouble. Nothing will fix that. Hard work might, time might, but that money is gone, those opportunities forgone forever. I buy the odd powerball ticket when the prize reaches 8 figures at about $15 a pop, but that's the extent of any gambling i do now. And to be honest, that's about what it will take to undo the damage i have done to myself. So yep, it's depressing for me, but there's no easy answer, and nothing but working hard to whittle the debt down, and nothing but time to hopefully deliver some capital growth to my house that's barely moved in the 6 years i've been buying it.
Dave68

Return to Research