" "

GP's to help with problem gamblers?

Discuss and debate the latest hot topics in gambling politics and media.

GP's to help with problem gamblers?

Postby Dave68 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:13 pm

Saw this article in the Herald Sun, about having GP's be used to assist with trying to identify symptoms of problem gambling due to more people going to the doctor for treatment of problems gambling creates.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/gps-plan-to-assist-victorias-30000-problem-gamblers/story-fni0fit3-1227099488929

It's a tough one for me, as in my case i have not gambled since April 9th, but there's nothing in the world a doctor can do to cure a mountain of debts, and the limitations that places on you when you try and rebuild your situation.

It's probably easier for me being single and having no dependents, thus my battle is mine alone, but if a doctor can somehow find a way to treat or even bluntly point out the situation gambling can lead you towards it's probably a good thing. In my case, my work was unaffected by my gambling, i was happy ostensibly to just lose money, work hard to earn more, and lose it again, and also wrack up credit card debt. Once i realised that this just can't continue, and that my outgoings were suddenly approaching my incomings and i couldn't afford to gamble, i came to my senses.

That's the thing, i have stopped now for over six months, but the damage is now done. If the Doctors can nip it in the bud before it comes to this point, then i'm all for it. When you're already seriously compromised with your life, not sure a doctor can help.
Dave68

RE: GP's to help with problem gamblers?

Postby AnnaB (facilitator) » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Thanks for posting this article. Interesting. I think the more professionals are trained up to look for the signs and explore whether gambling could be an issue, the better.

You may well be aware of this already but wanted to flag financial counselling with you and everyone. Free Financial counsellors are connected to most gambling help agencies. While they can't offer financial assistance, they can do some great negotiating with banks and creditors around things like reducing interest rates, consolidating loans etc...
AnnaB (facilitator)

RE: GP's to help with problem gamblers?

Postby Dave68 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:33 pm

This article too is very illuminating, by former parliamentarian Caroline Hirsh, about her pokie addiction and how it seems such an addiction is too easily pooh-poohed and lost as such compared to other addictions that gain great air time, and greater public sympathy. Even reading the comments (of whom Dave is myself) there is that feeling that gambling is the addiction that nobody seems to have any sympathy for, and one that is looked upon with disdain by many in society, paradoxically some of whom probably do indulge in other addictive stuff!

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/don8217t-call-us-problem-gamblers-8211-we8217re-addicts-20141031-11eqsm.html
Dave68

Return to Hot Topics