" "

I wonder

Discuss and debate the latest hot topics in gambling politics and media.

I wonder

Postby Jeddie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:54 pm

I read this little but alarming quote today, I wonder if the members on here reflect this.

“This is a gender issue. Pokies largely target women. Before pokies were introduced, women were 7 per cent of problem gamblers, but they are now 53 per cent. 😱😱😱

I am female
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Re: I wonder

Postby Mona58 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:28 pm

That is interesting and does not surprise me. It could be because more women are in the workforce, What date was the 7% figure referring to .. do you know?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Jeddie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:43 pm

No I don’t know the date Mona, I don’t think it is anything to do with the workforce I think it is because women are happy to go to the pokies alone and spend their days and some evenings in them safely😥
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Mona58 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:07 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-08/s ... es/2730464

There are just so many stories and articles out there. Who and what for they are written plays a part in how true statistics are. Government in my view tends to downplay the enormity of problem gambling... when a figure like 0.01 percent of the population are problem gamblers. Anyway I did more reading and googling. Above is one interesting reading.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby How the F did I get here » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:15 pm

Jeddie wrote:I read this little but alarming quote today, I wonder if the members on here reflect this.

“This is a gender issue. Pokies largely target women. Before pokies were introduced, women were 7 per cent of problem gamblers, but they are now 53 per cent. 😱😱😱

I am female

But one thing Ive noticed since artending meetings, is women in attendance is only 15 to 20% max!
How the F did I get here

Postby shaun1 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Well I've worked in a club for over 10 years now and a lot of them are male as well its probably equal at our club, if not more younger males and old men than anything.
shaun1

Return to Hot Topics