" "

Two articles, a contrast of opinions

Discuss and debate the latest hot topics in gambling politics and media.

Two articles, a contrast of opinions

Postby Dave68 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:29 pm

I am not sure if my links to these Herald Sun articles will work here, as i can read them because i am a subscriber (it may be possible to log in through your facebook account to read maybe 10 freebies), but there is such a contrast between society's tacit approval for taking illicit drugs, compared with the general condemnation for the gambler, who is roundly condemned as having no self control, is foolish and 'it all their fault' as the response to the predicament a gambler will find themselves in.

This article by Susie O'Brien about Ben Cousins...and i compare the two because it's one addiction versus another).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinio ... 41393b331e

Take note of the comments section, as most agree with Ben's actions it seems. I'm the David with the long post referring to gambling if it's published.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 07685cc0f2

In that one i am the David with the 19 likes.

It's just one more battle that gamblers face, we are ones who lose our money on legal, Government taxed methods, but seem to have the least scope for treatment or support, whilst drug use has people wanting expensive rehab courses being funded, medical treatment and other support. It also lends to a belief that i have had for a long time, we gamblers are the silent ones, we lose our money and go ahead with our lives, whereas drug users clog the courts and the medical system with their expensive costs to society. Even though i am 30 months clean, i still rankle at the contrast society seems to have in the lack of respect for one addiction (gambling) versus the tacit approval for another (illicit drugs).
Dave68

Re: Two articles, a contrast of opinions

Postby pamela » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:01 am

Hi Dave..absolutely agree that gamblers get looked on differently to drug users and dont get the same assistance..I have been a gambler for years and have attended outpatients several times over that period and watched on as people on drugs abuse staff hit staff and I have seen them vomit on the staff deliberately and they get attention and help whereas I would be screaming on the inside but the attitude was " you can stop if you want to" .It really is time the government realised it is a disease and increase the funding rather than cutting back
pamela

Postby Dave68 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:03 am

And almost true to my suspicion about the Cousins case, it seems that the majority of the 26 comments tacitly support drug use, or at best condemn Susie for writing the article, with a kind of perverse 'cast the first stone' mentality.

IN a way that disdain which society has for gamblers has helped me stay off the machines. But i remain pretty peeved at how society (or at least going by what comments are published on facebook or newspaper comments pages) seems to accept or even celebrate drug use. Hypocrites really, as how different addictions are treated so differently by people and government. You're right too Pamela with how our medical facilities are abused by those who are drugged out or drunk, yet we as gamblers merely skulk off back home, silently, ashamedly and only think about how hard we need to work to undo the damage our addiction causes. Beating that feeling of disdain powers me to stay off for ever. If that helps other gamblers give up, then all the better too. let's see how governments go if all gaming taxes cease....then they can try and get money off the druggos and realise how costly that addiction is.
Dave68

Postby pamela » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:50 pm

I agree Dave..we gamblers suffer in silence but while the government makes so much money from us nothing will change..funding gets cut all the time here
pamela

Postby annie  » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:55 am

Hi,

Just spent a considerable amount of time and brain power responding to the post , however once again after submitting it gets lost somewhere, so I am disappointed and wondering what went wrong. Took too much time editing and making sure it made sense ?? will give it another go.............

Tried to read articles, no success but went on facebook and read comments regarding BC and drug usage. Wish I was able to access the actual articles.

Drugs are illegal and yet there is a greater amount of support to users than to gamblers of whom provide financial support from their addiction/ usage to the Govt and legalised gambling. Unfortunately there is a considerable lack of insight when discussions such as these are out there in the community and there will always be different points of views , reactions and levels of understanding generally.

The reality is the Govts introduced legalised gambling in several forms and in different Aust states over different decades, knowing the problems and effects this would have on the community and how the most vulnerable would be affected by way of addiction , lesser quality of life, mental & physical health problems, financial stress, relationship breakdowns and the list goes on.

Gamblers have supported the Govt financially through their spending and for that receive free counselling and an exclusion program which is flawed to say the least.

I would like to ask the Govt when will they be making a public apology for their contribution to the effects of gambling on the community, be accountable for their actions as we have to be for ours, take the time and actually listen and get involved and offer a higher level of support for those affected. Address self exclusion programs so they can have a state wide effect ( if not Aust wide ) .

There is no excuse for the Govts delay in addressing problem gambling and further support, other than they must be raking in so much money that any losses to the govt from gambling reforms is not on their agenda. When natural disasters occur, the Govt steps in immediately to help in whatever way they can, yet when a Govt disaster occurs such as gambling they do minimal to assist. .

Can the Govt see the very real big picture or do they just rely on reports from support agencies and surveys which don't include the thousands sitting on the machines each day and whom later down the track look for support when they realise they have nothing left and at that point acknowledge they are addicted and need help, support, financial assistance, housing assistance, everyday living assistance ,etc etc etc etc

Dear Govt use the power you were given to address this issue immediately.
annie 

Return to Hot Topics