" "

What are your ways to dealing with urges

Discuss and debate the latest hot topics in gambling politics and media.

What are your ways to dealing with urges

Postby jamie93 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Everyone has different methods to handle urges to gamble. I am curious as what methods I could try along while hearing what you guys/girls do to handle your urges.
Just maybe I could try some of the working methods from you guys :)

I would also be interested in hearing your stories about what you did to make it harder to gamble.
Thanks
jamie93

Re: What are your ways to dealing with urges

Postby Springhope17 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi Jamie,

I found that understanding why I am gamble really helped me. Knowing what my triggers are means that I know when I will be getting most of my urges to gamble. To combat this I put a few practises in place to help me. I limited my access to money. I had a pattern of urges basically every time i got paid. Going back to the machines trying to recover last weeks losses! I know what time my pay goes into my account. I make sure that I am busy during this time. I then transfer online all my bills. This leaves only enough for things like food, fuel etc. I make sure that I have only limited access to cash in case another one of my triggers goes off and i get the urge to gamble. If i only have $100 I will think I wont even bother going for such a small amount. If I had $300 or more i would think Ill go and try my luck might be lucky! Instead my brain should be screaming Gambling has destroyed your life and you are in $100,000 debt! GAMBLING MORE WONT FIX THIS!
I also added the Gamblers Help phone no to my phone as a last resort, if i am tempted I will call and talk to a counsellor before i step foot in a venue.

Today I am 44 days GF. Good luck and I hope we can all beat this addiction!
Springhope17

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:57 pm

I think having interesting hobbies is a pretty good way to deal with urges.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Mona58 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:19 am

recalling the strongest urge I had last "payday" I just sat through it and did not give in to it. Knowing that it is part of the process and knowing that it WILL pass helped . RememberIng that the side effects of gambling - weeks --.is worse than the side effect of a urge --five minutes.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby JinxyWolf » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Hey Guys,

Great question....

If I know I have a big trigger coming, I will give my access card to my mum till it passes.
Haven't had a strong urge in a while now but when I first started this journey when a urge hit, I would try to take my mind of it by distracting myself with something else, maybe a movie, cooking or even cleaning.
I also got into the habit of, when a urge hit, I would stop what I was doing and take a breath, close my eyes, and think of what I was really gambling with, no it wasn't money, it was my life and that quells the urge pretty quickly. This has actually become a handy habit, even after nearly 10 months I find myself doing this automatically, even if it's just a passing thought of gambling.

Be Well all...and stay free

JinxyWolf
JinxyWolf

Postby Catherine1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:15 pm

I have found by exercising Ie: Going for at least 1/2 or 1 hour walk daily this has not only got me fit, it has also helped with my mental wellbeing, therefore not being depressed and not feeling the urge to gamble. I have a close friend who knows I am giving up gambling. So if I get an urge I give her a call. By the time I have had a chat my urge has passed. I have bought plants for my garden in the past and think I can afford them because I am not blowing a $1000 a week on pokies. Also know your triggers. Mine is stress. When I get stressed with work, i so much want to have a gamble. I just now have to do other activities instead until the urge passes.
Catherine1

Postby Mona58 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:21 am

Thought this thread is worth to bring forward. We need to be reminded of the basic tools for gamble recovery.

at 4 months GF ... I'd forgotten that life situations that bother us are triggers. I'm in such a situation at the moment and have made appointment with my doctor. I have some thoughts of the step after that... but things can change day to day... that is why I'd made my appointment for two weeks time... giving me time to contemplate those next steps because I feel I need to protect myself otherwise I will end up getting depressed.

I am however surprised that l can deal with this problem constructively not destructively... its even taking some time for me to accept my new thoughts... "Oh this is a new thought' welcome it... don't get confused... its NEW! Dealing with urges has become minimal just a strug of my shoulder' a shake of my head and reminder I don't gamble anymore.

Mona
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Return to Hot Topics